Thailand reports another daily record of 15 virus deaths, 2,179 cases

webfact

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Deaths lag new positive cases by 3 weeks.

I'd say 2 to 3. It seems that the more virulous strains we have now kill a bit quicker. 1 to 2 with pre-existing conditions

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Although deaths will continue to climb for a bit, it appears that the epidemic has reached a plateau.

Don't you realize the numbers are low because it's Tuesday, and these are still "weekend" numbers ????

Per The Thai Enquirer:

"A curfew/partial lockdown has been introduced in the following six provinces to stem the tide of Covid-19."

Note: the curfews listed here are generally voluntary ones where the local governments have asked residents to stay home during those hours.

04-27-21c.jpg.25e762ee4a035df99e0a03d60cbf6405.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/ThaiEnquirer/posts/307869544033919

16 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Deaths lag new positive cases by 3 weeks.

The ratio between new cases and fatalities is now a little under 1 percent.

So right in the WHO mortality rate range of between a half to one percent.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

12 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

I'd say 2 to 3. It seems that the more virulous strains we have now kill a bit quicker. 1 to 2 with pre-existing conditions

My understanding is there aren't more "virulous" strains...only more transmissable ones that infect more people more quickly (including the sick and elderly) causing more deaths.

• Like 2

Just now, Pattaya Spotter said:

So right in the WHO mortality rate of between a half to one percent.

The WHO numbers are so low because they have to include countries that don't report accurately. The fatality rate people are concerned about is for the general public, where, for example, in Britain, its 1864 deaths per million.

The fatality rate for infecteds is all over the place, its about 10 percent for Mexico.

If this epidemic takes off, the fatality rate will certainly increase on a per capita basis.

8 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The WHO numbers are so low because they have to include countries that don't report accurately. The fatality rate people are concerned about is for the general public, where, for example, in Britain, its 1864 deaths per million.

The fatality rate for infecteds is all over the place, its about 10 percent for Mexico.

If this epidemic takes off, the fatality rate will certainly increase on a per capita basis.

The WHO has opined that the mortality rate from Sars-Cov2 virus infection is between a half to one percent of those infected. Or maybe you have more expertise or resources than the WHO standing behind your assertions. 

Edited by onthedarkside
personal comment removed
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

What we need is a really infectious but benign mutation.

On this we agree...and viruses over time generally mutate to become less lethal. It's in their nasty little interest not to kill off all their hosts. 

Just now, Pattaya Spotter said:

You sound like a Covid science denier...the WHO has opined that the mortality rate from Sars-Cov2 virus infection is between a half to one percent of those infected. Or maybe you have more expertise or resources than the WHO standing behind your assertions. 

WHO bases its assessment on the available data, for better or worse.

In real life, the UK has had a fatality rate of about 2 percent, the US, a little more than 1 percent. Those are facts. Or my math is bad.

Struggling hoteliers eye the exit as occupancy plummets

"The fresh wave of Covid-19 has severely affected tourism and hospitality businesses in Thailand with occupancy rates at domestic hotels dropping to 5-30 per cent, forcing many operators to sell their businesses to cut losses, said Thammajak Leuangprasert, president of Arjarnnar Asset Management Group.

“Some hotels affected by the outbreak for more than a year have managed to stay afloat with the help of soft loans and the debt moratorium programme, while some have decided to sell their businesses to foreign investment groups,” he said.

“Currently there are European and Chinese companies looking to buy 4-5 star hotels in Thailand priced at over Bt2 billion, while 3-star hotels are also desirable provided they are in a prime location.

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/40000268

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Although deaths will continue to climb for a bit, it appears that the epidemic has reached a plateau.

What makes you think that? New infections hovered at just under a thousand for a few days, and then around 1400 for a bit before jumping, if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Don't you realize the numbers are low because it's Tuesday, and these are still "weekend" numbers ????

Chonburi went up over the weekend but lower again today. Cant trust this mid week testing I guess!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

On a Daily basis, there are figures published on the number of Covid cases found positive, Etc Etc.

All of these reported cases are from the most populated areas of the Country IE Bangkok, Sumat Prakan, Chonburi Etc.

How many, I wonder are not going reported from the lesser populated Areas of the Country Eg Korat Surin Etc

There do not appear to be so many reported cases from these Provinces, although , they are the Provinces that all the City dwellers of Bangkok migrated too for Songkran.

Or, have  I missed something

"Or, have  I missed something"

You missed the behaviour of pandemics. Pandemics spread mostly from areas with maximum case density  by way of maximum contacts.  Spread to more remote rural areas can be slow.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

On a Daily basis, there are figures published on the number of Covid cases found positive, Etc Etc.

All of these reported cases are from the most populated areas of the Country IE Bangkok, Sumat Prakan, Chonburi Etc.

How many, I wonder are not going reported from the lesser populated Areas of the Country Eg Korat Surin Etc

There do not appear to be so many reported cases from these Provinces, although , they are the Provinces that all the City dwellers of Bangkok migrated too for Songkran.

Or, have  I missed something

It has been stated that some provinces have had problems reporting the number of positive cases accurately. They never mentioned which provinces.

Fingers crossed the curve is flattening out.

• Like 1