Coronavirus vaccinations on the islands

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Can't see the private hospitals getting their hands on any vaccine for quite a while so looks like it will  be a long wait for non Thai vaccinations.

Expats should be able to register for free vaccination from June and July, according to the news articles.

There is one from ScandAsia HERE,

and there is a more recent one here...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Birdman said:

Foreigners, who were on a list from major tourist related businesses got vaccinated already here twice.

That is for those who are sponsored by a major business/large hotel. You are correct in your observation. I understand that it was mostly GM's and senior managers. (Or well connected friends?)

I am a small business with just 12 staff. I am my own sponsor. ????

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

That is for those who are sponsored by a major business/large hotel. You are correct in your observation. I understand that it was mostly GM's and senior managers. (Or well connected friends?)

I am a small business with just 12 staff. I am my own sponsor. ????

To my knowledge everybody in tourist front-line business could register, but they had more than plenty of vaccines, 25,000 doses in total, so they asked normal people also to show up and be vaccinated...

This week, 25,000 people in Koh Samui have been injected with the Covid-19 vaccine. The island plans to vaccinate 70% of its population by July to reach ‘herd immunity’ and reopen the tourist destination to vaccinated travellers, following the Phuket ‘sandbox’ model.

The vaccines were offered to the general public, including expats, at Rajabhat University, Bangkok Hospital Samui, Central Festival and Koh Samui Hospital. Yesterday was the last day for this round of injections, according to a post on the Koh Samui district Facebook page.

News source from April 8th HERE.

14 minutes ago, khunPer said:

To my knowledge everybody in tourist front-line business could register, but they had more than plenty of vaccines, 25,000 doses in total, so they asked normal people also to show up and be vaccinated...

KhunPer - please tell that to Nathon hospital.

I know from past experience that you mean well. I would love to believe that what you quote is true.

I can only speak from my personal experience. Not from publicity.

I know at least two other foreigners, working in the tourist industry, both of whom managed to register online and they both received appointments.

Both appointments were cancelled before they were due.

No reason given.

All of the foreigners that I know are unable to receive the vaccinations. Yes - they can register. End of.

I say it again. We cannot believe everything that is on the internet.

Question.

Does anyone on this forum know a foreigner, who is not working for a 'high end' hotel or business, that has received the vaccinations?

I would love to be proved wrong.

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I know from past experience that you mean well. I would love to believe that what you quote is true.

I know at least two other foreigners, working in the tourist industry, both of whom managed to register online and they both received appointments.

No reason given.

All of the foreigners that I know are unable to receive the vaccinations. Yes - they can register. End of.

Question.

Does anyone on this forum know a foreigner, who is not working for a 'high end' hotel or business, that has received the vaccinations?

My knowledge is from Central Festival, there were four spots for vaccination, besides Samui Hospital in Nathon also Bangkok Hospital, which were busy when I passed, the University, and Central Festival where my GF got vaccinated.

I have no direct personal information about foreigners, only from what previous quoted news articles says in this thread, and according to Camille's Koh Samui blog saying: "Foreigners can also get vaccinated at no cost. First group to get the vaccine is 18-59 years old", which I posted April 5th, when there were 25.000 extra vaccines available on Samui...

Dr. Teerasak Lomthongkham, director of Koh Samui Hospital, said that the vaccination against COVID-19 This is the second vaccination in Koh Samui district. To inject to target groups of medical and public health personnel Officers at high risk Hotel staff Employees in various service locations And 25,000 people (50,000 doses) of the general public, which is expected to inject 5,000 people per day and complete the injection by April 7, 2021. 

Source link HERE.

In general, not specific Samui, foreigners are supposed to be vaccinated by AstraZeneca vaccine from July, only front end health and tourists were mentioned in connection with the first vaccination rounds on Phuket and Samui.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In trying to establish each day whether it is a 'can we/can't we' registration day, here are some things that I have come across.

Coconuts Bangkok wrote today -

"Inquiries with 12 hospitals throughout metropolitan Bangkok on Friday morning were met with various negative responses. Registration is currently open to the elderly or those with serious health conditions.

MedPark Hospital said that it cannot register foreign nationals until the government “completes 70%” of vaccination of Thais first. 

“The government will inform us again when we can offer direct registration of vaccines to foreigners,” a hospital call center rep said."

A friend went to Nathon Hospital yesterday and filled in a registration form. No on-line registration. His words afterwards were that he is 'not convinced that it wasn't a waste of time'.

Today I sent an application (email) to register at the Tourism Association of Koh Samui (TAKS). They are encouraging and helping people to register. I will let you know if anything happens. If you want details for this exercise, please PM me with your email address and I will forward what I have to you.

If we are successful in registering to receive the vaccines - it will be over 60's first, but all can apply. It is open to all residents on Koh Samui. Sorry, I do not know about the other islands.

Again, more info if I receive any.

Today I sent an application (email) to register at the Tourism Association of Koh Samui (TAKS). They are encouraging and helping people to register. I will let you know if anything happens. If you want details for this exercise, please PM me with your email address and I will forward what I have to you.

If we are successful in registering to receive the vaccines - it will be over 60's first, but all can apply. It is open to all residents on Koh Samui. Sorry, I do not know about the other islands.

Again, more info if I receive any.

There have been lots of official Facebook-posts about registration today. They state it's for Thais (only), and business and organization, where-under there is a form for registration of foreigners, i.e. you need to be in business or member of an organization to be eligible for vaccination at the moment.

I asked in a couple of threads about expats/foreigners/farangs, but haven't got any reply. I would wait to share anything, before I had more facts about "normal" foreigners, but here you are...

Register to vaccinate Koh Samui District. https://vaccine.smartsamui.com/registration
✅ Check status for vaccination. https://vaccine.smartsamui.com/status
For organization or business
You can register via Koh Samui Tourism Association via filling the form for Thai people. ???????? https://bit.ly/3nZlTAa
???? ♂️ Forms for Foreign https://bit.ly/3f1WuSr

183573427_3867683776662953_822765678564362950_n.jpg.af09555eb5b42b9a7d734dd58e7cf446.jpg

My gf told me today that they are registering this time people over 60, to start vaccinations in June.  The vaccine would be AZ, not Sinovac,  so it is doubtful that vaccinations will start on time, as the AZ vaccines are not yet produced locally.

Again this is probably info from Facebook or by word of mouth, so not 100% reliable ???? Treat is as gossip.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gearbox said:

...the AZ vaccines are not yet produced locally.

According to general news articles locally production od AZ vaccines is on track, and has passed the quality approval, ready for manufacture and distribution from June as originally planned (quite some time ago)...????

One source link is HERE.

The present vaccination registration for foreigners (early May) are for those foreigners having a Social Security number or a pink ID-card number (Yellow House Book also has the number) in Business sectors and Organizations.

Use the form HERE,

and submit the form by Line (https://line.me/ti/p/2t0wCJz8TD) or via Email [email protected]

Source : Tourism Association of Koh Samui.

Can we change the vaccine if the vaccine isn't what we wanted on that day?

I wish the Thai government allow us to choose the vaccine.

The vaccination project is too slow, everybody should start vaccination in May and not Aug.

15 hours ago, gearbox said:

My gf told me today that they are registering this time people over 60, to start vaccinations in June.  The vaccine would be AZ, not Sinovac,  so it is doubtful that vaccinations will start on time, as the AZ vaccines are not yet produced locally.

Again this is probably info from Facebook or by word of mouth, so not 100% reliable ???? Treat is as gossip.

The last approval from AZ as per press release today...

184316351_315465269941013_6751119001047679774_n.jpg.113b009a4bceb94913f3c4b9e1dad074.jpg

13 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Can we change the vaccine if the vaccine isn't what we wanted on that day?

I wish the Thai government allow us to choose the vaccine.

The vaccination project is too slow, everybody should start vaccination in May and not Aug.

If you are in business, or work for an organization, on Samui you will be vaccinated with Chinese Sinnovac-vaccine if in May.

From June Thai manufactured AstraZeneca covid-vaccine will be available, and maybe Russian Sputnik V, both are vector-based vaccines, and you probably have no choice.

From July, or later, furthermore Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine will enter the program that otherwise is on track from original planning, but later expanded with two more vaccine brands to 100 million doses, and by today's news articles an additional 50 million doses vaccine (of unknown make) will be ordered, as it's unknown for how long time vaccination protection will work; it might be like influenza vaccine that you need a booster or vaccination every year, nobody knows.

At some point Moderna Covid-vaccine might be available through private hospitals, so you might have a choice, but there is no schedule so far. It has been mentioned that private vaccination with Moderna could cost 3,000 baht for both jabs, but still no firm statements yet.

Your point of view about when vaccination should have begun you should forward to the government, so far it's on track from the original statements...????

On 5/5/2021 at 8:12 PM, Tropicalevo said:

No reason given.

Question.

Me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

How did you manage that?

You should try to use the form/Excel-table in the earlier link and send it to the email address. I was told today that they get 100,000  more doses for Samui. i.e. enough for 50,000 people on top of the already vaccinated (I believe that was 25,000), and that amount is plenty, so they ask for more people to register...????

How did you manage that?

I initially made an appointment using a line link with my tax ID number. On that date at the tourism Uni I was told that foreigners would be vaccinated on the last day in the afternoon, so that appointments useless. I came back that last day  and managed to register using my social security number. Please note that  I lost my job over 6 months ago, but my ss number was still in the system. After a long day of waiting and uncertainty all foreigners still there were finally accepted and vaccinated in the early evening. It was incredibly busy with foreigners and quickly they changed the policy of letting anyone with a tax ID register to only those with also social security, because there wasn’t enough vaccine left. They made it clear that higher ups did not want foreigners vaccinated, and definitely not before the Thais, so they ensured all Thais who showed up got helped first. I was surprised to see quite a few Chinese people in our group as well. Maybe the Chinese government exerted some influence. If I had to estimate I would say there were around 150 western foreigners, 50 Philippinos, 30 Chinese and maybe 200 migrant workers from neighboring countries.

Some foreigners managed to receive the vaccination together with the Thais on earlier days, but those were members of TAKS.

The second dose two weeks ago was a breeze though. I showed up without an appointment necessary, they checked my number and was sent straight up for my jab. In and out in 20 minutes including a 15-minute wait time to make sure there are no side effects. 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

The second dose two weeks ago was a breeze though. I showed up without an appointment necessary, they checked my number and was sent straight up for my jab. In and out in 20 minutes including a 15-minute wait time to make sure there are no side effects. 

Well done Gulfsailor.

I am registered with Nathon on my social security number but the hospital said that they have zero information on when and if to vaccinate me ie foreigners.

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Koh Phangan 

Thais and foreigners are asked to register for Covid-19 vaccination through the QR code below (Koh Phangan Hospital)...

I do not know if this is the same as Samui.

On Samui, for the QR code, it had to be social security number (yesterday).

But retirees and others could register using a passport number by attending the hospital in person and filling in form..

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

I do not know if this is the same as Samui.

On Samui, for the QR code, it had to be social security number (yesterday).

But retirees and others could register using a passport number by attending the hospital in person and filling in form..

SS-number is probably same as Thai ID-number, which is also TIN (Tax Identification Number) for work permit. Yellow House Book and Pink ID-card for aliens has a Thai ID-number, also used for TIN (I talk from experience). I used my Thai ID-number.

13 minutes ago, khunPer said:

SS-number is probably same as Thai ID-number, which is also TIN (Tax Identification Number) for work permit. Yellow House Book and Pink ID-card for aliens has a Thai ID-number, also used for TIN (I talk from experience). I used my Thai ID-number.

A Thai social security number is not the same as a Thai (tax) ID number. 

• Thanks 1

I have just been informed by a neighbour that foreigners can register to be vaccinated today at Central Festival.

Just passport number needed.

Vaccine will be AstraZeneca and administered on 7th June.

First of all, many thanks Mr. T! 

I just went down to Chaweng and registered; it took me all of 20 minutes. The registration is taking place in the white, open air building on the lake next to the community exercise equipment and the traffic roundabout. Hmm... it is also right across/directly across the street from the back entrance of TOPS Supermarket. Registration is open today until 4 PM, tomorrow and (I think) until Monday.

The vaccines are AstraZeneca for those over 60 on June 7th and Sinovac for those under 60 on June 1st. The shots will be given at either Central Festival or the University.

If you have a driver's license, bring it. If you have the 'pink ID' card, bring it. Failing that, bring your passport and that is sufficient. Hmmm... also, bring your phone (yes, I am that stupid; I went there without my phone, but everything was fine).

Finally, let me say "Thanks!!!" again to @khunPer and @Tropicalevo for all the posts with all the information. I know that I speak for many when I say that we all appreciate the time and effort you have put in keeping everyone informed.

Keep up the wonderful work!

Cheers

• Thanks 2