Using a Debit card?

I recently got my first Debit card (from a mainstream Australian bank in association with Mastercard). It has a 3 number security number on the back and I have a 4 digit PIN number.

My question is: Can I use a Debit card globally (linked to Mastercard or Visa card) the same as a credit card for online purchases. E.g. to buy an airline ticket?

I asked the customer service line staff from the bank who issued the card. Their response is 'not sure' and no other comment.

1 minute ago, JayClay said:

Yes

Thanks, does that mean I can click on 'Use Credit card' to Pay but insert the 4 x 4 numbers and security no on my Debit card and submit and it will be accepted?

Or does the sales site need to specifically offer 'Payment by Debit card'?

2 minutes ago, JayClay said:

You'll be fine with 99.9% of sites that allow payment by "credit card".

There are certainly sites that won't accept debit cards, it's something to do with blocking payment, but as you say 99% of the time it will just work.

• Like 2

i can't answer your question,  and to be honest, I have used my Thai debit card here in Thailand, but only because of the difficulty / restrictions on getting a credit card here.

I would much rather use a credit card.  I am nervous of using a debit card because if scammers get your debit card details they can empty your account.

Fo that reason I only use a debit card with an account that does not hold large amounts of money. Credit  cards, at least western ones, have some protection against fraud.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, phetphet said:

i can't answer your question,  and to be honest, I have used my Thai debit card here in Thailand, but only because of the difficulty / restrictions on getting a credit card here.

I would much rather use a credit card.  I am nervous of using a debit card because if scammers get your debit card details they can empty your account.

Fo that reason I only use a debit card with an account that does not hold large amounts of money. Credit  cards, at least western ones, have some protection against fraud.

Thanks for all the answers. Appreciated.

24 minutes ago, bravo19 said:

No, some hotels in Thailand don’t accept debit cards

Not just Thailand. They want to block funds as a deposit. Car rental agencies are often the same in my experience. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, phetphet said:

Agreed, It's very easy to do online transfer  of funds from my main savings a/c to my Debit card and the reverse, I keep about 1,000Baht only in my Debit account but If I'm planning to do a much bigger purchase I transfer sufficient funds to my Debit card to cover it, but quickly reverse the funds back to my main savings a/c if I change my mind. 

On a different payment system, why is it that so many on-line merchants will now only accept pay pal for payment and not accept credit cards?

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

On a different payment system, why is it that so many on-line merchants will now only accept pay pal for payment and not accept credit cards?

Can you provide any examples?

I can imagine some smaller merchants would only accept PayPal as it's "easy" to set up and integrate. But I haven't seen any big companies that only accept PP.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks, does that mean I can click on 'Use Credit card' to Pay but insert the 4 x 4 numbers and security no on my Debit card and submit and it will be accepted?

Or does the sales site need to specifically offer 'Payment by Debit card'?

The latter. Not all companies will accept a debit card for payment.

You should think about a credit card, the fraud protection is better and you normally have recourse to claiming back from a credit card in the event of something going wrong.

With a debit card funds are straight out of your account and can be difficult to recover, if at all.

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

I suspect they have been the victim of false chargebacks.

Paypal has a dispute resolution process.

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

Agreed, It's very easy to do online transfer  of funds from my main savings a/c to my Debit card and the reverse, I keep about 1,000Baht only in my Debit account but If I'm planning to do a much bigger purchase I transfer sufficient funds to my Debit card to cover it, but quickly reverse the funds back to my main savings a/c if I change my mind. 

Get yourself a credit card that doesn't charge for overseas purchases: https://www.28degreescard.com.au

Edited by Eindhoven

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

I suspect they have been the victim of false chargebacks.

Paypal has a dispute resolution process.

That is the primary reason I now refuse to use Paypay. Had a dispute of non delivery. Merchant provided "prof pf delivery" but no tracking or signature.

Decided in favor of merchant...no recourse.

Also made a purchase thru EBAY where they set up a separate Paypal account. Dispute decided in my favor but merchant did not refund. I was only able to receive the refund because it was purchased with American Express and  I provided a copy of the email stating I was due a refund.

Upon doing some research of this vendor I found many complaints about the same problem. I questioned Paypal and did not even receive a response. (Have since closed my Paypal Account)

• Like 1

As mentioned above, a credit card is a much better option since it includes better fraud protection (with a debit card funds are not immediately removed from your account) and is universally accepted. I'd suggest you look for a credit card with no foreign transaction or annual fee. Some also include points or cash back options.

5 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

As mentioned above, a credit card is a much better option since it includes better fraud protection (with a debit card funds are not immediately removed from your account) and is universally accepted. I'd suggest you look for a credit card with no foreign transaction or annual fee. Some also include points or cash back options.

You have this backwards. Funds are immediately removed (debited) from your account when using a Debit card. A debit card is more a convenience if you don't wish to carry cash.

We bought a car with trade in and then monthly payments

on balance..  I asked the market chain why can’t I pay the 

car payment with my Debit card.,.. No .. you need to get cash 

and pay... 

Different thinking I reckon.. I’m not a fan of carrying a large amount of cash around... .. but ., 

3 hours ago, DJ54 said:

We bought a car with trade in and then monthly payments

on balance..  I asked the market chain why can’t I pay the 

car payment with my Debit card.,.. No .. you need to get cash 

and pay... 

Different thinking I reckon.. I’m not a fan of carrying a large amount of cash around... .. but ., 

There's many posts about the dangers of debit cards, and credit cards have their dangers too.

From above:  "...

No .. you need to get cash 

and pay... "

I'm aware of this happening years ago (maybe still happening) in a 2 step process:

Step 1. The dealer (in this case a motor cycle dealer in a Nth East province) insisted that it was financially better to buy the motor cycle with a small deposit and then pay it off with monthly payments rather than full payment on day of purchase.

Step 2. The dealer told the buyers, you have to come back here to my dealership to make your monthly payments, in cash only.

Turns out of course this is all benefits the dealer.

1. A commission on the sale
  2. A commission from the finance company for signing up a new customer.
  3. A fee for collecting the cash and forwarding the cash every month to the HO of the finance company.  

However none of the above changes the dangers of using debit cards. 

My debit card was copied in Kathmandu one time. In Canada the banks will reimburse you but i had to hassle them and complain to the ombudsman to finally get the $600 back.

If you use a credit card for cash withdrawls it will be more expensive. A credit card is important because it will be replaceable in case it is lost or stolen.

A prepaid credit card is a good idea so you can load it will just enough cash that you need.

A debit card that you can transfer cash into that account is another idea, so you can limit the amount of cash there.

Always go to an ATM machine that is attached or inside a BANK when the bank is open. No independent ones.  I once had the machine jam and lost my card, they would not return it.

Always check your balance online regularly when traveling.  Use a vpn when accessing your online bank account too.

You should have 1-2 debit cards, 1 credit card, some travelers cheques, a paypal account and some ether or btc! Just to be safe when traveling.  I've had banks block my debit card a few times and it took a week or more for them to unblock it! Don't rely on one bank too much.

Edited by Don Chance

6 hours ago, Alex2554 said:

'Never, ever use a debit card,' warns fraud expert and ex-con artist—here's what to do instead

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/08/27/debit-cards-are-dangerous-warns-fraud-expert-and-ex-con-artist-frank-abagnale.html

What he's say there is don't use a debit card at store, like 7-11 in Thailand or small shops. It will cost a fortune in fees anyways. Using a debit card at a bank atm in Thailand should be perfectly safe.

12 hours ago, couchpotato said:

You have this backwards. Funds are immediately removed (debited) from your account when using a Debit card. A debit card is more a convenience if you don't wish to carry cash.

Sorry about that. Clearly I wasn't paying close enough attention to what I was typing. Thanks for pointing it the error. 

9 hours ago, Don Chance said:

My debit card was copied in Kathmandu one time. In Canada the banks will reimburse you but i had to hassle them and complain to the ombudsman to finally get the $600 back.

If you use a credit card for cash withdrawls it will be more expensive. A credit card is important because it will be replaceable in case it is lost or stolen.

A prepaid credit card is a good idea so you can load it will just enough cash that you need.

A debit card that you can transfer cash into that account is another idea, so you can limit the amount of cash there.

Always go to an ATM machine that is attached or inside a BANK when the bank is open. No independent ones.  I once had the machine jam and lost my card, they would not return it.

Always check your balance online regularly when traveling.  Use a vpn when accessing your online bank account too.

You should have 1-2 debit cards, 1 credit card, some travelers cheques, a paypal account and some ether or btc! Just to be safe when traveling.  I've had banks block my debit card a few times and it took a week or more for them to unblock it! Don't rely on one bank too much.

Your advice is completely out of touch.

You claim that it will be more expensive to use credit cards for cash withdrawals. That is wrong. First of all there are some that levy no charges for cash withdrawals and secondly, most banks only accept credit cards for over the counter withdrawals(which also serves the purpose of avoiding the ATM fee).

A prepaid credit card is a terrible idea.

Using an ATM to withdraw cash is another terrible idea.

Using a VPN to access your bank is also totally unnecessary unless you are using a public Hotspot or some such.

You should have one or two debit cards?? Why? I have NONE with me; only credit cards. Far more useful in Thailand. 

Travellers cheques? Is it a joke?

You seem to have been hiding somewhere for twenty years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Don Chance said:

What he's say there is don't use a debit card at store, like 7-11 in Thailand or small shops. It will cost a fortune in fees anyways. Using a debit card at a bank atm in Thailand should be perfectly safe.

Nope; that it not what he says. He says don't use one at all. Nowhere does he state that using it in an ATM is safe; you just made that up all on your own.

What about skimmers fitted to ATM? Ever heard of them?

Sorry but your advice is seriously out of touch.

On 5/3/2021 at 12:58 AM, soi3eddie said:

Not just Thailand. They want to block funds as a deposit. Car rental agencies are often the same in my experience. 

You can block funds on a debit card: they make what they call shadow payments, which disappear off your account in a couple of days if they aren't confirmed/committed. I've had this done at hotels in the UK. It's quite annoying as the shadow payment was still on my account when I checked out and paid the bill. 

• Like 1