Passport Expiring soon what about visa?

Is it possible to transfer a visa to a new passport if the old passport expires or is due to expire, whilst being in Thailand? If not, is it possible to apply for a new visa, whilst in Thailand.

Secondly, would the existing work permit still be valid or would that need to be reapplied for?  

Thanks in advance.

Visas are not transferred to a new passport but will remain valid.

Valid extensions can be transferred to a new passport.

Don't forget that you need the embassy letter confirming the new passport if you received the new passport via your embassy in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if this induces embassies in TH to let people keep their old cancelled passport rather than depriving people of their old passports like many embassies do these days. I wouldn't mind using my visa as a valid excuse to keep my old expired and cancelled passport after I get a new one.

• Thanks 1

As the visas remain valid you always should get your old passport back but made invalid.

So far I know most of not all do this.

You will both passport if you want to travel using your visa in your old passport.

• Thanks 1

And despite the letter, the IO often like to look at the old passport (depending on place and mood of course) so keep it.

The ambassies now their job. I already changed 3 time my passport in Thailand without any problems.

• Thanks 1

Can I post an add-on question here? My passport will expire in December so I'm almost to the less-than-6-month-validity. At what point should I renew my it since many countries want at least 6 month validity for travel, etc... It's a US passport. This always seemed strange to me as it makes the last 6 months of any passport sort of useless but who am I to question? Advice appreciated.

18 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Can I post an add-on question here? My passport will expire in December so I'm almost to the less-than-6-month-validity. At what point should I renew my it since many countries want at least 6 month validity for travel, etc... It's a US passport. This always seemed strange to me as it makes the last 6 months of any passport sort of useless but who am I to question? Advice appreciated.

With an old UK passport they added a few months onto my passport when I renewed early before, but the last time they didn't.   Go figure!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I would start applying for a new passport soon as you don't know how it will take to get the new passport.

As long you stay in the country the 6 months limit is not a issue and therefore not useless but it can become a issue if you want to travel to another country.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2021 at 8:59 AM, bamboozled said:

My passport will expire in December so I'm almost to the less-than-6-month-validity. At what point should I renew

Do it now. Renewal by mail to the US Embassy or Chiang Mai Consulate is straightforward and takes only two or three weeks. There's no real reason to wait -- maybe soon, all mail service and getting the required bank drafts will be impaired by covid.... then you're screwed.

Anyway, the prime reason for most of us to renew our passports early is -- so that your passport has over a year's validity next time you go for your annual extension renewal.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2021 at 8:59 AM, bamboozled said:

I have NEVER understood these posts.

Perhaps other countries have shorter term passports. 

I'm Oz and the passport is 10 year validity. So my current pp expires 2026. Its looking bit shabby. Will renew soon.

Has plenty pages left as I opt for many more page option due to frequent flyer.

How many ridiculous threads are there about this. If you have only year or more left RENEW IT.

BTW you do not require 6 month validity to enter Thailand

Edited by DrJack54

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Its looking bit shabby. Will renew soon.

I have been warned by 2 different airlines that they wouldn't let me fly again with my shabby pp (5 years old, valid for 5 more years).

One of them, the problem could be solved by paying a small fee (no, not THAI - their country is in the top ten of Tranparency International)

Edited by Kiujunn

8 minutes ago, Kiujunn said:

I have been warned by 2 different airlines that they wouldn't let me fly again with my shabby pp (5 years old, valid for 5 more years).

One of them, the problem could be solved by paying a small fee (no, not THAI - their country is in the top ten of Tranparency International)

I'm thinking you should consider getting a new one. Some Oz citizens had issues at passport control in Bali. Made the news in Oz as caused serious inconvenience.

Not urgent as we can't travel right now.

I have had comments at Saigon airport by immigration on arrival re my pp. Think I will get a replacement this year.

The passport-by-mail instructional PDF referenced above seems specific only to the US Embassy Bangkok (there's no reference to the Chiang Mai option). And its instructions on the bank drafts are to make them out to "American Embassy Bangkok." But what if you're applying through the US Consulate Chiang Mai -- seems logical you would make them out to the "American Consulate Chiang Mai?" The US Consulate website says "American Embassy Bangkok" for the bank drafts -- but is this in error?

Not wanting my application to bounce, I queried the Chiang Mai Consulate. Here's what I got back:

Yes, all bank drafts must be made payable to 'American Embassy Bangkok' even if you're sending the mail-in application to the Consulate in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1