Thailand reports 3,226 COVID-19 cases, 26 more deaths

webfact

Active COVID-19 screening to be conducted at over 400 worker housing facilities in Bangkok

Active screening of up to 409 worker housing camps in Bangkok, which accommodate an estimated 62,000 Thai and immigrant construction workers, is to be conducted in an attempt to pre-empt the spread of COVID-19.

This proposal was tabled by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) and discussed at the meeting of the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) subcommittee today (Tuesday), said CCSA Assistant Spokesperson Dr. Apisamai Srirangsan.

According to the proposal, the Office of Social Security will be responsible for screening about 50,000 workers and the rest will be done by the BMA’s health office.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/active-covid-19-screening-to-be-conducted-at-over-400-worker-housing-facilities-in-bangkok/

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, redsongthaew said:

If you had 70 million bowls of soup, from tens of thousands of different kitchens, made by constantly changing chefs using differing ingredients, how would you determine which bowls of soup were too salty?

The definitive way would be to test them all. Or you could test a percentage and extrapolate your results.

Testing a few thousand bowls of soup and then using the results to form an opinion about the remaining 69,900,000 bowls of soup is probably not a truly representative way of doing things.

Ahh...but it all depends on which indicator you are looking for.  Does dinsdale want to know the national prevalence of Covid?

59 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

Dinsdale, my pal: 

When you order a bowl of soup at a restaurant and want to check and see if the soup is too salty or not, do you drink the whole bowl of soup, or do you try a spoonful?  Food for thought.

Then when you've tasted your bowl of soup and it's tastes salty you can bet your bottom dollar the whole cooking pot of soup is salty and action is needed to rectify the situation so it's a good analogy you're using to show what should be done if you find a little covid in Bangkok the whole Bangkok pot is going to be infected with covid.Is that what you're trying to say, Pal?

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thanks.  It's a pandemic, it was inevitable that the virus would spread.  We can just be grateful that (so far) Thailand hasn't experienced the horrendous numbers of fatalities that other nations have.

Agree. Of course some other nations have handled it better and are now in a better situation than Thailand and some countries who basically ignored the seriousness of this pandemic in the beginning are also now doing better than Thailand. Go figure.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't think I have quoted you previously but have read posts re Songkran you wanted to go ahead as you had holiday planned along with some posts of hoping all schools would open. Hope that not incorrect.

Personally if I had children I would not be sending them to school in Bangkok even if they were open.

As for your Songkran holiday.....I just assume that you must be working and can only take official holidays. 

In any event tunnel vision

Everyone has different reactions in a crisis like this, but yes I feel the importance of education outweighs the risk of catching/passing on the virus; and our holiday over 3 days at Songkran was, in my assessment, a risk well worth taking.  I of course appreciate that not everyone feels the same.  Unfortunately I have no choice but to put up with online learning at the moment, which for a 6-year-old is no replacement for classroom and social interaction.  Once the MOE allow schools to open (sooner rather than later, hopefully) I will have no hesitation in sending him back, and as teacher myself, I will be delighted when I can teach face-to-face again too!  And yes, I get 15 days paid holiday a year and public holidays.

8 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Not sure but just been told another 1000 positives from Petchaburi. Never fear tomorrow's numbers will remain same same but different.

I've always said same same but not different just to be different but it seems just as apt for these figures.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Sure, I was against a Songkran lockdown. I didn't want my family's long-planned holiday cancelled and was very relieved it wasn't.  We had a great time and survived the trip, you'll be pleased to hear.

There are around 12 million people in metropolitan Bangkok, so it was never going to be a realistic option to lock down the entire city! 

Happened last year and if the numbers are correct it worked. Never realistic to lock down an entire city you say well last year the entire country was locked down. Were you here?

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Brian has posted the map showing the places with 1% or less interspersed with some hotspots.

I think the word you're looking for is place not places and you've picked up that particular "cold spot" (your words) and you've extrapolated that to the rest of Thailand, well done, you deserve a biscuit!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Happened last year and if the numbers are correct it worked. Never realistic to lock down an entire city you say well last year the entire country was locked down. Were you here?

Define lockdown. City of Melbourne had what's referred hard lockdown. Not suggesting that possible city of 12 mil.

Bangkok currently has extremely soft restrictions. Last year in Thailand granted harder but again not a lockdown.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I understand the analogy but if there is less than a spoonful in the bowl how can you appreciate the meal.

Dinsdale, buddy, I think you missed the point:  How could there be less than a spoonful of a 70 million bowl of soup?

3 hours ago, Marvin Hagler said:

So let me understand this...Covid is essentially only present in workers camps, prisons and factories? As per last year the virus knows very well not to slip outside of designated areas?

It would seem that in any area other than the above mentioned places there is pretty much no Covid? No one catches it from transport, ATM,s, 7-11s? No Thai foremen or other workers who don’t live in the camps or factories are able to catch it from those on the shop floor?

So the virus essentially jumps from camp to camp or prison to prison of factory to factory without affecting anyone else in between? Goodness me what a well behaved virus this is when it’s on Thailand.

Have I understood that correctly?

OMG. Stop it. Rational thought. What TF are you on. Please send some to some others on here immidiately.

p.s. me too????

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thanks.  It's a pandemic, it was inevitable that the virus would spread.  We can just be grateful that (so far) Thailand hasn't experienced the horrendous numbers of fatalities that other nations have.

Absolutely unlike last year when they cancelled Songkran and then this year with the UK variant allowed it:

7th April: Numbers before Songkran in blue charts https://media.thaigov.go.th/uploads/public_img/source/070464.pdf

25th May: Total numbers today https://media.thaigov.go.th/uploads/public_img/source/250564.pdf

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Define lockdown. City of Melbourne had what's referred hard lockdown. Not suggesting that possible city of 12 mil.

Bangkok currently has extremely soft restrictions. Last year in Thailand granted harder but again not a lockdown.

Yes Australian lockdowns and other countries lockdowns were even harder than the lockdown here last year. Now in Thailand there is no lockdown. I'm not sure how many times myself and others have to say this but a lockdown like last year here after the Thong Lor spread would have stopped Songkran travel etc and Thailand I think would be in a better position. Spot fires with propper handling could have been extinguished rather than spread. I think bushfires or for my American friends wild fires is a good analogy. Get onto it quick, contain it and try to stop the embers from spreading it.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Melbourne Oz has a new cluster of nine and I'm surprised the is no 3 month lockdown in fact there isn't even a 3 day circuit breaker.Oh that's right dictator Dan is on sick leave with a busted rear end.

They are very concerned but in my opinion a bit lax. They're going we can't keep locking down areas everytime there's a few cases. This might come back and bite them in the bum. This started I believe from someone who was in quaratine in Adelaide.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did anyone who filled out the registration form at Vimut Hospital actually get an appointment for a vaccination? Or were they just collecting your information? Anyway, looks like, for some reason, they have already closed registration. I’m not sure what that means. Do you?

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1397174051848613893

5 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Did anyone who filled out the registration form at Vimut Hospital actually get an appointment for a vaccination? Or were they just collecting your information? Anyway, looks like, for some reason, they have already closed registration. I’m not sure what that means. Do you?

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1397174051848613893

Not even an SMS like they said they would send.  Not sure it will ever happen in my book.  I am now registered in 3 separate places, the Mor Prom App, my personal hospital and Vimut.  No followup by any of them.

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I agree with you on this as well, as I have indicated with the GF's ex and family refusing to go to the hospital after his wife was tested and found positive, then taken by ambulance to the hospital 2 weeks ago.  People just keep on working and doing what's needed to get by, as they can not afford to be locked into a facility and not make money to pay their bills.

I think they recognise that unlike Oz which has one of the highest incomes per capita in the world and could afford a hard lockdown, Thailand cannot afford it so they have to do the best they can with what they have which is obvious very little for the majority, they also want to open up as soon as possible because they're starting to hurt economically and they fear the trough will become empty and impossible to replenish.Rocks and hard places abound here and must make it very difficult to navigate.Although I do enjoy taking the mickey out of the those in charge it was always going to be tricky for whom ever was running the place as it has been the world over.Oz through hard work has low numbers like Thailand yet is in the same boat as Thailand and like Thailand it can go pair shaped pretty quickly.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I think they recognise that unlike Oz which has one of the highest incomes per capita in the world and could afford a hard lockdown, Thailand cannot afford it so they have to do the best they can with what they have which is obvious very little for the majority, they also want to open up as soon as possible because they're starting to hurt economically and they fear the trough will become empty and impossible to replenish.Rocks and hard places abound here and must make it very difficult to navigate.Although I do enjoy taking the mickey out of the those in charge it was always going to be tricky for whom ever was running the place as it has been the world over.Oz through hard work has low numbers like Thailand yet is in the same boat as Thailand and like Thailand it can go pair shaped pretty quickly.

I hardly think Australia is in the same boat as Thailand. 9 cases in community. Economy is roaring away. 
what do base this comparison on? 

10 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

I hardly think Australia is in the same boat as Thailand. 9 cases in community. Economy is roaring away. 

Australia also has next to no international tourism either. Fortunately for them, it's not a huge part of their economy unlike Thailand. Lost lots of money from International students too. Lots of vaccine hesitancy as well - "we don't have covid here so why get vaccinated". 

Edited by DavisH

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not even an SMS like they said they would send.  Not sure it will ever happen in my book.  I am now registered in 3 separate places, the Mor Prom App, my personal hospital and Vimut.  No followup by any of them.

Funny that I'm being pressured to register here in the village, I said no let someone else have my spot, I think they put my name down anyway, the person doing the registration is my brother in law!I got some funny looks and laughs (nervous laughs I think) when I was trying to explain my reasons.I might have to organise some saline so I can get the jab to save face, see now this place is starting to infect me with face saving disease!It gets a bit tricky with Mrs FFF as although she can't stand Prayuth she must not lose face in the village.I have no doubt that once the vaccines are actually here they could roll it out pretty quickly as long as those fools at the top stay out of the way.As I have mentioned before I'm certain I've already had covid so feel no hurry or need for the vaccine.

13 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

I was referring to the vaccine boat and I did mention they were one of the richest nations per capita in the world hence their strong economy.

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Absolutely I was here, and Bangkok was not completely locked down!  I went in to work at Centralworld all through April/May/June last year as our school office was open.  The BTS was still running and many of the offices in central Bangkok were still working, and the supermarkets remained open.  Sure, interprovincial travel was banned and there was a curfew (and alcohol ban) but I doubt that made much difference at all.  Who knows if it "worked" as there wasn't much testing done!

• Like 1

A good question by BBC’s Jonathan Head. As previously reported by Thai Enquirer, AZ production by SBS will not meet target for June because there has been a problem with scaling up.
Quote Tweet

Jonathan Head

@pakhead
·
This is what we know right now. So why is there a shortage of AZ vaccine? twitter.com/thaienquirer/s…

And since we have seen problems in many other places with totally new vaccines that is not a cause for embarrassment. But the government should come clean, and give more info about SBS. And admit relying on one locally-made vaccine was not a good plan.