What Can Visa Agent do?

3 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Ps after 22 years here, i ave only met one person that had to use an agent.

and that was because he did something illegal.

Been here a bit longer than you and known countless people that used an agent. 

I used one once. Cost my 10k for a visa, 20 years ago. The company are still going, some guy called Vince. 

They came to my work place, to get my passport and returned it a bit later. Back then, there were 2 agents in my apt block. They sent them to dodgy officers on the border of Cambodia. 

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

It varies according to the agent. Contrary to some opinions on TVF, they are not all crooked and illegal, in fact, very few are.  I use an agent to do the paperwork and legwork for me, for extensions, Entry Permits and Certificates of Residence, if I need one.  I still meet the legal requirements for an extension, I just stay clear of the Immigration Office, the queuing and the almost inevitable hassle. Using an agent also ensures that you will not be faced with a last minute issue with the paperwork, with an IO who is just having  a bad day. In my view, its well worth the cost and removes from me any stress that  I may be feeling as the extension day approaches. 

This is a good, honest statement of the reasons why this member uses an agent. Thanks.

5 hours ago, nightfox said:

Majority of guys including myself use agents as money fixers if one cant meet the 400k or 800k requirement that's needed for an yearly extension of stay. All I can say that my stamp is real as I was right there in front of the IO when he stamped it .

The agent I use is a very organized and professional operation. Everyone including immigration gets a piece of the pie as they work with them. Yes I still had to be there with my wife in person with our house photos and all the paperwork but it was so smooth and easy when you have an agent involved, no line ups, not being interrogated by immigration, just sign here stamp for passport good for one year.

This is also a good, honest statement of the reasons why this member uses an agent. Thanks.

The OP really should have been more specific but since both of the above posts totally cover all the reasons to engage an agent, there's not much need for further discussion IMHO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

You need an agent only if you are bone idle or do not have, or want to have the required money in the bank. But they usually get an extension from another province, which whatever they or others tell you can be problematic if you subsequently turn up at your real immigration office on a DIY basis

I think this would be more problematic for the immigration officer in the other province. The actual foreigner is not doing anything wrong, are they? I've met some who don't realize they are doing anything wrong. They have a visa signed by a real immigration officer. All the immigration police know and work with agents, obviously, or they would be put out of business. 

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Even if using an agent, it is the law to be there in person. If an agent can get you one without you being there, they are breaking the law - use at your own risk. 

I used an agent last time, I had to go to IO with agent for picture. It was mandatory. In and out, 5 min.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Even if using an agent, it is the law to be there in person. If an agent can get you one without you being there, they are breaking the law - use at your own risk. 

Well, I did not have to show up at the immigration office.

If it was a fact that a law was 'broken', it appears that all IO's cannot distinguish between a valid one year extension of stay, and an illegal one. Every 90 days reporting, the IO processes my passport without blinking an eye.

No reason for him to challenge the highest echelon of the office hierarchy is there?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, nightfox said:

Majority of guys including myself use agents as money fixers if one cant meet the 400k or 800k requirement that's needed for an yearly extension of stay. All I can say that my stamp is real as I was right there in front of the IO when he stamped it .

This would solve a major sticking point for me as I consider whether or not to follow the retirement extension route.

I understand the logic of requiring retirees to have enough money held in reserve to cover any medical emergencies, but times have changed and money has speeded up. I know that I can at least double any money within six months, so, in real terms, not having to stick 800k in a bank could make me 320,000k by the end of the year, and possibly far more.

Ultimately, I will end up spending the compounding earnings from my investments in Thailand anyway, so, everyone wins.

I presume that a lot of people get this done. Does this particular service tend to be included in the 10k agents fee that has been mentioned in this thread, or is it considered to be an additional service requiring additional payment?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Poet said:

This would solve a major sticking point for me as I consider whether or not to follow the retirement extension route.

I understand the logic of requiring retirees to have enough money held in reserve to cover any medical emergencies, but times have changed and money has speeded up. I know that I can at least double any money within six months, so, in real terms, not having to stick 800k in a bank could make me 320,000k by the end of the year, and possibly far more.

Ultimately, I will end up spending the compounding earnings from my investments in Thailand anyway, so, everyone wins.

I presume that a lot of people get this done. Does this particular service tend to be included in the 10k agents fee that has been mentioned in this thread, or is it considered to be an additional service requiring additional payment?

For a happy ending you pay more, 13-17,000 for full service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It's just that these threads are so common. Lack of info in the OP.

If details are given the replies can be given with clarity.

very true .        the one "fact"  regarding extensions is that  the  retirement extension with 800k kept in the bank ( i never touch the acct i use for that amount) ..... that extension is the least hassle and easiest to get done in a rather short time.    

No agent needed and I have done for 12 years .   CM used to be a nightmare for a few years with going at 5 am to que .   Now back to fairly easy and quick.  Took me about an hour.

ALL OTHER  services requiring going to an IMM OFFICE  can be problematic,  so depending on what is needed and the experience/ competence of person going ( yes, and the immig officer) ......experiences vary.      A good agent can surely help if one is having problems or can not be bothered.   Money talks

As DJ  says:   be specific with the info when asking for help. 

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am pretty sure I could do it alone. But what if I forgot a document (which maybe is required this year but was not required last year)? Or what if one document needs explaining (I remember i.e. a company name change somewhere on a page at the end of the documents.

I have a checklist of required documents. I check with Immigration beforehand the list is still valid, take my Thai GF along to ensure there are no misunderstandings.

Perhaps your situation is a bit more complex than mine, a basic retirement extension. My system is working OK for the last 5 or so years.

37 minutes ago, rumak said:

very true .        the one "fact"  regarding extensions is that  the  retirement extension with 800k kept in the bank ( i never touch the acct i use for that amount) ..... that extension is the least hassle and easiest to get done in a rather short time.    

No agent needed and I have done for 12 years .   CM used to be a nightmare for a few years with going at 5 am to que .   Now back to fairly easy and quick.  Took me about an hour.

ALL OTHER  services requiring going to an IMM OFFICE  can be problematic,  so depending on what is needed and the experience/ competence of person going ( yes, and the immig officer) ......experiences vary.      A good agent can surely help if one is having problems or can not be bothered.   Money talks

As DJ  says:   be specific with the info when asking for help. 

The OP did finally add one post. These are some words from his post

"I've done all the paperwork myself for 4-5 years now on extension based on retirement. I’ve got the funds. I don’t want to complain with all the little details about the 90 day system and staff training yada yada you know the details but the little stuff is just starting to get to me"

So it turns out that he is bothered by 90 day reports and deals with CW.

He can do that via mail or online or use an agent.

If indeed he had been clear with his OP then instant quick answer would have been easily given.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

My friends and I who all use agents have to arrive at immigration to have a photo taken.  We all go to the front desk on arriving and no queuing, quick snap and that's it for another year. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

My friends and I who all use agents have to arrive at immigration to have a photo taken.  We all go to the front desk on arriving and no queuing, quick snap and that's it for another year. 

Sounds like you have a good system that suits you. So stick with that. 

I'm sure you are aware of this info but post for others. 

For those obtaining extensions based on retirement (not marriage) there is now an appointment system. Walk in still an option.

The appointment system works a treat and has taken all the angst out of that annual trip to CW.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Sounds like you have a good system that suits you. So stick with that. 

I'm sure you are aware of this info but post for others. 

For those obtaining extensions based on retirement (not marriage) there is now an appointment system. Walk in still an option.

The appointment system works a treat and has taken all the angst out of that annual trip to CW.

I don't think that is available in the Jomtein Office, but I may be wrong. 

10 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I don't think that is available in the Jomtein Office, but I may be wrong. 

Just CW that I'm aware of.

Think lot of guys that deal with smaller imm offices (not referring to Jomtien) don't really understand how busy CW can be.

Hence they often post that the extension is a breeze. 

Previously for myself dealing with CW, it was best part of a day with traveling time. BTW having done ~ 10, I have always found the imm officers very good. I wouldn't fancy that job.

I was on verge of using agent prior to appointment system being introduced. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

How much does this cost you?

18 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

circa 15,000 per year. 

Fair enough. If that means you don't have to keep 800k in the bank for a year. I can get 80k baht interest on that. I wonder how much goes to the agent and how much to the bent policeman?

2 hours ago, Poet said:

I know that I can at least double any money within six months, so, in real terms, not having to stick 800k in a bank could make me 320,000k by the end of the year, and possibly far more.

Really? How?

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I have a checklist of required documents. I check with Immigration beforehand the list is still valid, take my Thai GF along to ensure there are no misunderstandings.

Perhaps your situation is a bit more complex than mine, a basic retirement extension. My system is working OK for the last 5 or so years.

I saw the stack of papers. It looked like at least 3cm thick, I would guess at least 100 pages. That is for a B visa with lots of company documents.

2 minutes ago, mahtin said:
2 hours ago, Poet said:

I know that I can at least double any money within six months, so, in real terms, not having to stick 800k in a bank could make me 320,000k by the end of the year, and possibly far more.

Really? How?

That reminds me of the "I want to buy a bar" thread from a couple of days ago.

Or maybe: how to get rich with BitCoins ... 555 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Fair enough. If that means you don't have to keep 800k in the bank for a year. I can get 80k baht interest on that. I wonder how much goes to the agent and how much to the bent policeman?

no, you misunderstand, I still meet the bank account rules for an extension,  the combination method in my case, including the requirement to keep, at a minimum, 400K in the bank throughout the extension period. .  

6 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Boo hoo... you've got 365 days for 95% of it...

No, you don't have 365 days.  The bank statement and book update have to be done on the day, or not less than one day before. That's one more visit I can do without making myself 

• Like 1