Salt on flat rooftop to stop weed ? Is salt the best choice if I do not want to use chemicals ? Vinegar also ?

leba

hello,

Has anybody used salt and/or vinegar to stop bad weed growing on a flat rooftop / terrace ?

I need something easy/cheap and not poisonous as animals and people can be under this roof.

And if I need a large quantity of salt, maybe 100kg or more, is there a place to buy it cheaper ?

What about salt for swimming pools. is it similar and cheaper ?

thank you.

• Like 1

Salt will simply wash away when it rains.

Keeping your roof area clean of accumulations where plants can get hold is probably the best solution.

If you want to try salt you can get it from TRS (Thai Refined Salt) they have offices all over the country. You will probably have to collect as our local office won't deliver less than a ton (1,000 kg).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Salt will simply wash away when it rains.

Keeping your roof area clean of accumulations where plants can get hold is probably the best solution.

If you want to try salt you can get it from TRS (Thai Refined Salt) they have offices all over the country. You will probably have to collect as our local office won't deliver less than a ton (1,000 kg).

Thank you, yes I understand that it will wash away and this is what I want. Also cleaning is important I know.

Please tell me what is Thai Refined Salt ? is it the cheapest ? and where to buy around Chonburi / Pattaya ?

thanks again.

• Like 1

to stop bad weed growing on a flat rooftop

To keep your green roof free from weeds use the right selection of mosses, sedums, succulents, herbs and grasses.

GreenRoofSystems_extensive.jpg

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Morakot said:

To keep your green roof free from weeds use the right selection of mosses, sedums, succulents, herbs and grasses.

That doesn't work in temperate climes and it certainly won't work here.

• Like 2

If weeds are growing of your concrete deck then there must be cracks and water or moisture. Fill the cracks or better yet just seal the concrete to prevent it from absorbing water. No water no weeds. 

• Like 2

Not sure of the area size or accessibility but boiling water is a possible solution.

Obviously just pour it on the weeds.

The suggestion of cleaning the roof down, filling the cracks, and then sealing it, even with just a good paint is valid, if there is no where where a germinated weed seed can put down roots the next time the sun comes out it will dry out, shrivel up and die.

• Like 1

Pressure washer might work.

Salt will also corrode metal.  If it runs off the roof to the ground below it may kill any plants you have growing there too.

But if you are just using small amounts to spot kill weeds it would probably be ok.

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, leba said:

Thank you, yes I understand that it will wash away and this is what I want. Also cleaning is important I know.

Please tell me what is Thai Refined Salt ? is it the cheapest ? and where to buy around Chonburi / Pattaya ?

thanks again.

You can buy 25kg bags of pool salt from the shop just past Ford agency, heading south on Sukhumvit after Soi 89. Next door is a big Tyre agency. I use the salt in my dishwasher, 100 baht for 25kg is a bit better than 350 baht for 1 kg from Villa!

If you are going to/from Hua Hin, you can buy bulk crystalline sea salt from the roadside near Samut Sakhon, dishwasher loves that, so does my ion exchange water softener.

Edited by Grusa
blerry predictive spellchecker!
  • Like 2

North of Pattaya,  Highway 36 near the Regent's school.  As you drive toward toward town (away from motorway) and you start going up the hill, there is a place on the left that sells the salt you're looking for.  It may be Thai Refined Salt as mentioned above.  

Interesting side note, Na Klua means "Salt farm"  

• Like 2

HI ! I have tiles in front of the houses but would like to add some turf (the square kind). Do you know what I should put above the tiles for drainage ? I guess that I should not put turf directly on tiling ?

How would you do to put turf (not plastic) in front of your house without killing the tilling ?

I need a green area for dogs but would like to still show the clean tiling in the future if I move.

I need to put something on tiling to allow water and dirt to slide (slope in front of the house), but not too high and not expensive, something that I can do myself. Any idea ? Thank you.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 1:26 PM, Susco said:

Spray with diluted Bleach or liquid chlorine

Is chlorine cheap ?

a bag of pool salt is now sold 140 thb cheapest around Pattaya, but how much for chlorine please ?

thanks.

On 5/28/2021 at 10:02 AM, Grusa said:

You can buy 25kg bags of pool salt from the shop just past Ford agency, heading south on Sukhumvit after Soi 89. Next door is a big Tyre agency. I use the salt in my dishwasher, 100 baht for 25kg is a bit better than 350 baht for 1 kg from Villa!

If you are going to/from Hua Hin, you can buy bulk crystalline sea salt from the roadside near Samut Sakhon, dishwasher loves that, so does my ion exchange water softener.

price is now 140 at this shop and it was 125 for a long time. 100 was maybe 10 years ago ?