How to get a pink ID card in CM?

Barley

5 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

The simple answer, to a somewhat complex process, is you obtain a house registration book, known as a "Yellow Book" from the Amphur where you reside.  Having that yellow book facilitates obtaining the pink ID card also from the Amphur.

Married or not is not a requirement BUT a marriage to a Thai does make the process easier.

Your questions are best answered by going to the Amphur and asking them what they will require.  Bring any documentation you have concerning your immigration status (passport, TM30, etc.) and residence (lease or??) with you to facilitate the discussion and a Thai language interpreter if you are not a fluent speaker.

Start with that....

At least outside of Mueang the tabien baan and pink card are issued by the tambon, not the Amphoe/District. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lordblackader said:

At least outside of Mueang the tabien baan and pink card are issued by the tambon, not the Amphoe/District. 

What would be the practical effects of this?

I live in Santitham.

Should I go to the Tambon (Chang Phueak) or the Amphoe office (Mueang)?

What is a yellow house registration book? I thought only an owner can get this, but maybe I am misinformed?

13 hours ago, Barley said:

Could someone please tell me how to get a pink ID card if one is not married, and one doesn't own a house but lives in a rental property?

Your landlord has to register you in his yellow house book. The first thing you need to do is ask him if he is willing to do this. If he says no your only solution is to find a more helpful landlord.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Your landlord has to register you in his yellow house book. The first thing you need to do is ask him if he is willing to do this. If he says no your only solution is to find a more helpful landlord.

Most landlord won't take the trouble to do it if he knows the tenant is going to stay one year or less.

If not, the landlord is going to be very busy doing unprofitable task when the tenant leaves and another one comes along.

If the tenant leaves, then the landlord has to unregister the tenant from the yellow house book again so it's too troublesome for them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Most landlord won't take the trouble to do it if he knows the tenant is going to stay one year or less.

If not, the landlord is going to be very busy doing unprofitable task when the tenant leaves and another one comes along.

If the tenant leaves, then the landlord has to unregister the tenant from the yellow house book again so it's too troublesome for them.

It's the tenant's legal responsibility to change the registered address in the yellow book, not the landlord's

If the tenant moves within the same Amphur, then that is an easy process.

In theory, it should be straightforward to change district also, but some districts are more difficult than others. The main importance of the Yellow Book process is having your name (transliterated into Thai) registered on the Thai national database and having a unique ID number (starting with 6 for Non Thai nationals). Once you have your ID number, changing the Yellow Book registration should be a straightforward process (you will also need to change your Pink Card as well if you have one, as of course, the address will be different, and also your Driving Licence)

If renting short-term, this is of course a disadvantage of the yellow book system, which is why generally only those with long-term residences apply for them, but that isn't an actual requirement of the process

Edited by roath
Spelling
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, roath said:

Only a foreign landlord would have a Yellow Book issued to them, and technically, they shouldn't be registered at that address if they aren't living there permanently.  

Foreigners can only be registered in a Blue Book if they have permanent residency, and even then, they can't have the Blue Book registered in their name, only have their name entered as living there

A yellow book (same as a blue book) is issued to a property, not a person, nothing to do with the nationality of the landlord. Lots of people get listed in a yellow book ,renting from a Thai landlord.

My Thai wife had a yellow book for her Bangkok house, and when I lived there, I was listed in it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

The simple answer, to a somewhat complex process, is you obtain a house registration book, known as a "Yellow Book" from the Amphur where you reside.  Having that yellow book facilitates obtaining the pink ID card also from the Amphur.

Married or not is not a requirement BUT a marriage to a Thai does make the process easier.

Your questions are best answered by going to the Amphur and asking them what they will require.  Bring any documentation you have concerning your immigration status (passport, TM30, etc.) and residence (lease or??) with you to facilitate the discussion and a Thai language interpreter if you are not a fluent speaker.

Start with that....

...my Amphur also required the presence of the village headman (poo-yai) to vouch for me living in his zone..FYI.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kuzie57 said:

https://perfecthomes.co.th/yellow-book-tabien-baan-thailand/

This will give you an idea of what is needed.

Hm, in the comments to the very informative article, I saw this:

"Perfect Homes (Chiang Mai Properties)

on 05/08/2020 at 8:49 am said  

Hi Fred, Sorry it always depends on the location, but to this date we do not know of anyone that has got on a yellow book for a rental property here in Chiang Mai."

So I guess for me living in a rental condo and being not married, it is pretty much hopeless to go through that process.

I wanted to have a pink card not just for vaccine registration but also as a proof for my banks outside of Thailand, that I am a resident of Thailand, and therefore change my bank address and do their yearly tax etc. reporting to Thailand.

Edited by Barley

16 minutes ago, Barley said:

as a proof for my banks outside of Thailand, that I am a resident of Thailand

This would probably not work in the way you think. You aren't a resident of Thailand (under Thai law). The number on your pink ID card would start with a 6, which means you are temporarily in Thailand and not a resident.

The ID number of foreigners who are residents starts with an 8. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_identity_card

10 hours ago, roath said:

It's the tenant's legal responsibility to change the registered address in the yellow book, not the landlord's

So if the tenant refuse to change the registered address even though he has moved elsewhere for years, the landlord can't change that?

I have a pink ID card. Not Married and I took my passport and  the yellow book to my Ampure office. The senior maid from my Condo came along and did 95% of the talking, quite embarrassing for her the number of times she was asked if we where wed.

Very easy and Thai staff where helpful.

My Ampure was near Three Kings monument as I live on Suthep Road.

john

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonwilly said:

I have a pink ID card. Not Married and I took my passport and  the yellow book to my Ampure office. The senior maid from my Condo came along and did 95% of the talking, quite embarrassing for her the number of times she was asked if we where wed.

Very easy and Thai staff where helpful.

My Ampure was near Three Kings monument as I live on Suthep Road.

john

In the discussions it became relatively clear that when one has a yellow book, it seems easy to get a pink card. 

But getting the yellow book seems to be the difficult part. 

So could you tell us how you got the yellow book? 

• Haha 1

Yes, I think there may be some variations in details but it seems pretty clear that the process is difficult and prone to disappointment. 

So I thank everyone for their input. 

And it also was very valuable for me to understand some Thai concept like blue book, yellow book etc. 

Edited by Barley

21 hours ago, jackdd said:

Given the large number of vacancies due to covid, the possibility of a tenant leaving to rent from a more cooperative landlord might motivate the current landlord more than might ordinarily be the case.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

I am amazed this has gone on so long.

Its a simple matter of going to YOUR Amphur and ASK them what they need/want to issue the Yellowbook etc. What others have or havnt done is irrelevant. What matters is what you are told by the person behind the desk on the day you ask.There is no consistency as you surely have learned by now.

And it is not always difficult.  Many have been able to meet the requirements without bloodshed or whining. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

I am amazed this has gone on so long.

You have been a Mod for quite a while - why the surprise ?

Many need to be told numerous times, from numerous sources, most if not all of them wrong. "Well when I did it in Nakhon Nowhere - and the OP is from Nakhon Somewhere."

So easy to ask a question that will be answered in minutes by the simple expedient of dragging their flabby posterior to the Amphur

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bill97 said:

And it is not always difficult.  Many have been able to meet the requirements without bloodshed or whining. 

As said, experiences vary, they always do, mine for instance was like buying a postal order, in and out in 25 minutes, painless and straight forward, others have tried for years and are refused. Every one is different, go ask is the only way to "know".

"So could you tell us how you got the yellow book? "

Bought my own condo a Studio,, my Thai lawyer did the legal side and I have Blue and Yellow books from same Ampure Office.

Friendly positive attitude.

john