More than 100 cases of new Thai Covid strain detected in UK as Indian variant surges

webfact

8 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

So isn't it the Egyptian variant rather than the Thai variant? Or maybe it's something to do with Egyptian getting into Thai and doing weird things. Surely anyone coming from Thailand to UK was PCR tested before departure and on day 2 and day 8. I certainly was tested 3 times and home quarantined for 10 days so how has this got into the community? Thais not behaving in the same way as Indians and spreading the variant strain?  Never!

I can see where you're coming from Lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rabas said:

From sweet victory to utter defeat in minutes!

Variant C.36 never made it into Thailand.

It was caught at Suvarnbhumi upon arrival from Egypt on Jan 31., 2021.

From the International GISAID database:

Collection date:

2021-01-31
Pango Lineage: C.36 (version: 2021-05-27)
Additional location information: Travel history from Egypt and detected upon arrival at Port Health Bangkok Suvarnbhumi Airport

Patient age

So 4 months to give it a label. Another cover-up.

The Chinese were flustered when the world came to call that nasty critter the "Chinese virus" or the "Wuhan flu".

While the rest of the world addressed the horse by its name and called the UK variant the... uhm... "UK variant", the English themselves preferred to call it the "Kent variant".

And now the Thai government has just announced that they detest the "Thai variant" to be called such, and that it should instead be called the "Egyptian variant".

The "Indian variant" itself is still known as such... but perhaps only because the Indian government can be a little slow sometimes. Will be interesting to see how THEY are going to deflect.

I still say it should be collectively called the "Chinese virus", for that's where it originated. And I don't give a toss how "flustered" Xi Jin-ping and his comrades may be over it.

However, I am rather surprised that this virus seems to have such extraordinary longevity. Usually, anything that comes out of China only lasts around three months before breaking down or becoming malfunctional.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

It is amusing that some Thai authorities were quick to label UK, SA, Myanmar, Cambodia, Brazil variants. but wow, at today's CCSA briefing much effort was made to discourage this sort of branding, and that there is no Thai variant.

Next up on the Agenda: TAT's new promotional travel scheme "Fly to Thailand to see where the new Thai Covid Variant started"  "Stay 1 week and we will ensure you love it so much that we will ensure you get a free 14 days in one of our great Hospitels" "No refund, all purchases are final"

• Haha 2

Filthy Thais , filthy, filthy, wheres  my  bottle  of disinfectant to drink? I'm  up to 4  litres a  day  now,  just  off to write to the Deputy Uk  Pm to let  him address the Thais in the Uk about this.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

You're becoming a bore!

You're right. The obvious is often so anti-climactic. Immersing ourselves in all the drama is so much more stimulating... Speaking of drama.

Did you happen to see the first person in the world to receive the vaccine died... Good ole' William Shakespeare... Now, do you really think the first person chosen to get vaccinated would be William Shakespeare just by coincidence? 

I wonder if William Shakespeare of Coventry, England consciously knew the irony of that injection?

Fun Fact: The word ‘suicide’ only appeared in the English language long after Shakespeare’s death. Until then it was called ‘self-murder’

All the world's a stage my friend... ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

So isn't it the Egyptian variant rather than the Thai variant? Or maybe it's something to do with Egyptian getting into Thai and doing weird things. Surely anyone coming from Thailand to UK was PCR tested before departure and on day 2 and day 8. I certainly was tested 3 times and home quarantined for 10 days so how has this got into the community? Thais not behaving in the same way as Indians and spreading the variant strain?  Never!

Or farangs returning and not following the procedure as you outlined.

7 hours ago, Freeduhdum said:

Did you happen to see the first person in the world to receive the vaccine died..

You got that wrong, he was the first man. He followed  91-year-old Margaret Keenan, who became the world's first person to get the jab. She is still alive. 

3 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Or farangs returning and not following the procedure as you outlined.

Or Thais as Thailand played a key accidental role in the initial global spread by allowing all those Chinese New Year tourists to circumvent bans on inbound flights from China by allowing Chinese to transit via Thailand. 

Thailand would have been the first major country outside China to have a good spread based purely on being the MOST POPULAR tourist destination for Chinese and especially Wuhan.