Who misses flying?! In fact, sign me up for “flygskam”!

rooster59

Struggling to get through these columns every week brings to mind another phrase :

" From Hia to Eternity "

anyway,  i managed........... so now can go back to poking fun at others .  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Not sure from the above post if this is a flying or political topic

haha   maybe i can start ranting about my dislike of some antibiotics .     OK, OK.......

my 2 cents is that I haven't flown since 2004 !    made many longg flights in earlier years but somehow paranoia set in.   I shudder to even think about it.   Long drive down to the beach again next smokey season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

(Thanks eternally to the reader who suggested it as an alternative to grapefruit juice. I ditched the vodka and got addicted to Cha-Ba….)

Your welcome. 

Why would you bring up your dinner at the sight of passenger aircraft seats in a restaurant .?

I realize  what you are leaning to , but i can not ever think you would feel sick at all . I do think it may turn you off eating at the premises. But to make you sick is rather a sick way of making humour out of the deceased that sat in them.

• Confused 1

My flight to Thailand was in October 1982 at the age of 19 on PIA. Cheapest ticket I could find. I had only ever had two previous flights, to and from Mallorca, for a New Years break with my mum, also when I was 19.  

1 hour ago, rumak said:

haha   maybe i can start ranting about my dislike of some antibiotics .     OK, OK.......

my 2 cents is that I haven't flown since 2004 !    made many longg flights in earlier years but somehow paranoia set in.   I shudder to even think about it.   Long drive down to the beach again next smokey season

I understand. My view is mixed. I wouldn't be truthful to say that I am not concerned, indeed I'm pretty twitchy until we get to a safe height ( 400 above aerodrome level and safer still at 1500 AAL ). To put that into perspective compared to the road journey to the airport doesn't make sense,  I presume its the finality of air liner mishaps that bring it to mind.

Once cruising I'm fine and I just live for visiting new places, thus why I feel so frustrated being restrained here in Thailand. Having said that in the last 18 months we've been to about 8 or 9 hotels in Thailand on short excursions so I haven't missed out entirely.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clarkey611 said:

For those not flying at the current time and miss it, just to give you an update on the status of the various airlines:

Lufthansa and SAS; cabin crew wear a face mask at all times. They wear gloves when cleaning the tables and you can choose from a full range of food and drinks, including alcohol.

EVA Air; cabin crew wear a face mask, face shield, full length protective gown, shoe covers and vinyl gloves at all times. You can choose from a limited selection of food and drinks, including one type of red and white wine.  

Thai Airways; cabin crew wear a face mask, face shield, full length protective gown, shoe covers and vinyl gloves at all times. You can choose from a very limited selection of food and drinks, but alcohol is not allowed to be served as this is the major cause of the SARS-CoV-2 virus. The food is served in the paper lunch boxes.

I feel so sorry for my good mate who flew Thai to London and described the very poor Thai service.

Feel more sorry for the Thais that depend on Thai Airways for there income . 

1 hour ago, Flying Saucage said:

The crash of Cathey Pacific flight 700Z from Don Muang to Bangkok on June 15, 1972 is worth to be mentioned as well: A Thai police officer asked a lady from Patpong to accompany his little daughter to Hong Kong, and put a bomb in the daughters handbag, after signing three life insurances for her. The plane crashed over Vietnam, killing all on board. 

It became soon clear that this police officer was the murderer of all the people on board, but thanks to connectios he was declared not guilty by a Thai court due to lack of evidence. He got 5.5 million Baht from the insurance companies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathay_Pacific_Flight_700Z_bombing

It would be interesting to remove all the 'attacks' against aircraft and see how very few mechanical, crew, weather accidents there are. It's already  recognised that it's the safest form of transport., but attacks such as this prey on travellers minds.

I was on a BA flight back from Venice Marco Polo airport in the early 90's, shortly after the Lockerbie   incident. We were at cruising altitude and had just been served our light meal when the cabin crew came steaming through the aircraft collecting our meals etc. They were literally scooping everything up into plastic bags. At the same time the plane went into a steep dive and worryingly there was no communication from any of the crew ( the pilots will always alert you to a technical problem).

Once on the ground we were shipped by bus into a corner of a German airfield under armed guard and I had no idea what was going on. We were later advised that one of the passengers had contacted the crew and told them she was carrying a suspected B**B.

Unfortunately I see it only a matter of time before someone beats security and another tragic  loss of life occurs.

I've been on one flight taking off from the Phillipines that never got more than a few hundred feet off the ground............. before turning back to the airport

One flight from Dehli to Katmandu that did a "drop" .   Don't know if that's what its called, but must have hit an air pocket and just boom, the whole plane literally dropped

One flight where the cabin crew were kneeling in the aisle holding onto the seats due to extreme turbulence.

Many long smoothe trips.............. but after those previous experiences the slightest turbulence has my fingers grasping the seat rails.   

Edited by rumak

5 minutes ago, rumak said:

I've been on one flight taking off from the Phillipines that never got more than a few hundred feet off the ground............. before turning back to the airport

One flight from Dehli to Katmandu that did a "drop" .   Don't know if that's what its called, but must have hit an air pocket and just boom, the whole plane literally dropped

One flight where the cabin crew were kneeling in the aisle holding onto the seats due to extreme turbulence.

Many long smoothe trips.............. but after those previous experiences the slightest turbulence has my fingers grasping the seat rails.   

I thought I had experienced turbulence after several hundred flights until a few years ago. Forgotten where or exactly when but all the oxygen masks were released and I lost contact with my seat, that is I was physically lifted out of my seat by a few inches.

Good to know that the wings can't fall off a plane, it's more likely the fuselage will fall off the wings.

• Haha 1

Just now, DaLa said:

Good to know that the wings can't fall off a plane, it's more likely the fuselage will fall off the wings.

how DO they keep those wings from breaking off ?     ( soon the experts will be here to tell me )   

34 minutes ago, rumak said:

how DO they keep those wings from breaking off ?     ( soon the experts will be here to tell me )   

In Thailand.. mainly superglue.. not sure in other countries.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rumak said:

Funny you mention takeoff from Delhi, because this is also where I had my worst experience. "a big free fall inside dark clouds". My flight was from Delhi to Chittagong. 

It was on a Dash 8 twin prop airplane, which has very bad history in my home country and it still had Lufthansa interior. All in all I had a bad feeling when I entered the airplane. 

I cannot wait to get on a plane again - the sooner the better and I hope it will be on a Thai Airways flight.

• Like 1

Once upon a time I did quite enjoy flying, when I was doing several projects in India I had to zip between them.

My airline of choice was the now defunct Kingfisher. I got lounge access as a frequent flyer, sadly no booze on domestic by law (but at Mumbai the lounge was landside so you could buy beer at the adjoining bar). Kingfisher was "Bollywood Babes in short red skirts" whereas the competition, Indian Airlines was "Your mum in a saree".

If I never get on a plane ever again I am not going to cry!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1