Thailand reports 3,440 new COVID-19 cases, 38 new deaths

webfact

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Careful we don't want you dying on us...????

Yes I understand per capita thanks, did you take a look at the link? It includes that column (deaths per million) and Population column clearly or maybe you missed it. These are the factual statistics on weekly trends as much as you disagree with them. 

You’re almost there! 

And what happens when you rank per capita? Are you able to glance down the columns? 

Can you appreciate this would be a much better basis of comparison than absolute numbers? 

Give it a go. Then maybe try harder to understand the relative basis of cumulative and even this wave data compared to most countries previous waves. 

Or you can continue to select the data as provided to further.the doom narrative. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Donga said:

You’re almost there! 

And what happens when you rank per capita? Are you able to glance down the columns? 

Can you appreciate this would be a much better basis of comparison than absolute numbers? 

Give it a go. Then maybe try harder to understand the relative basis of cumulative and even this wave data compared to most countries previous waves. 

Or you can continue to select the data as provided to further.the doom narrative. 

Mate the weekly trends take a look:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/weekly-trends/ different to overall stats https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Take it or leave it up to you its statistical facts

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Donga said:

Pls just answer one simple question. 

Why do you ignore the context of per capita? 

I can see anything else will be a stretch, like cumulative per capita data or even comparing this Thai wave with other countries waves. 

Yes Thailand is undergoing a wave. But you interpretation relative to per capita, other countries experiences and host of other factors is typical selective doom squad posting. 

You say per capita I say and average of 27 people died from Covid-19 everday last month. We look at things differently I guess.

Health minister Anutin Charnvirakul on Wednesday said Thailand will buy another 11 million doses of Sinovac vaccine. Thailand has already ordered six million shots, 500,000 of which are donated by the Chinese government. #วัคซีนโควิด19 #COVID19 #Thailand #KE

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1400063091031756801

5 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Danders made a statement. It was hard to know if it was fact or not because there was nothing to back it up. So it could have been opinion.

the reality is that he had a kernel of truth without it being the whole truth.

anyway, it was interesting for me to read up on antigenic drift so as to make out whether what was being said was the truth, the whole truth, or anything but the truth ????

Could've just left it at he made a statement. The rest is assumed ????

31 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Health minister Anutin Charnvirakul on Wednesday said Thailand will buy another 11 million doses of Sinovac vaccine. Thailand has already ordered six million shots, 500,000 of which are donated by the Chinese government. #วัคซีนโควิด19 #COVID19 #Thailand #KE

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1400063091031756801

On the back of that, here's some promising news for Sinovac:

Sinovac Vaccine Restores a Brazilian City to Near Normal

SERRANA, Brazil (AP) — Just one COVID-19 patient is in critical condition at the Dr. Geraldo Cesar Reis clinic in Serrana, a city of almost 46,000 in Sao Paulo state’s countryside. The 63-year-old woman rejected the vaccine that was offered to every adult resident of Serrana as part of a trial.

Doctors say the woman was awaiting one of Pfizer’s shots, which remain scarce in Brazil. But she is an outlier here. Most adults rolled up their sleeves when offered the vaccine made by the Chinese pharmaceutical company Sinovac, and the experiment has transformed the community into an oasis of near normalcy in a country where many communities continue to suffer.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/international/2021/06/02/sinovac-vaccine-restores-a-brazilian-city-to-near-normal/

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Health minister Anutin Charnvirakul on Wednesday said Thailand will buy another 11 million doses of Sinovac vaccine. Thailand has already ordered six million shots, 500,000 of which are donated by the Chinese government.

It's becoming more apparent that the local AZ vaccine production is floundering.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Donga said:

You guys kill me... 

1. Do either of you understand per capita - check the countries below Thailand and their populations. 

2. BS re top 80 ranking? Per capita please. 
3. And to the poster suggesting this is not doom stuff - what is it when people distort data (or unable to place in context) continually. 

I’ll continue to bang away about context because even in the grip of this wave, Thailand data is very very impressive. If people took off their blinkers, it should provide assurance that they’ll bring under control again. 

What was that song, oh yeah Beautiful Dreamer.  Since this wave hit, Thailand has failed to control this in a more than spectacular way as it has now encompassed factories, construction sites and markets, including the newest in Lat Prao.  They have also failed at vaccine distribution.  Try to look at it from April 1 to May 31st and compare those 2 months, then tell those that post they are wrong along with the 7 day averages......try again.

Edited by ThailandRyan

5 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Thailand has a little way to go:

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has announced three-quarters of adults in the UK have received a first dose of a Covid-19 vaccine

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1400085735890378753

So while the UK has been one of the fastest per capita to implement its vaccination plan its still taken since mid December last year to get this far for them and yet Thailand wants to open its major provinces by Oct including Bangkok.

Its good to be optimistic but its better to have a dash of reality thrown in as well. I just hope they also pay some attention to the at risk persons first and not how its been currently dished out.

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Just recieved interesting news from someone at a local temple. 10 people who have died from covid have been cremated in the past 3 days at this temple. Adjacent province to BKK. Came in refrigerated vans. No relatives. These people came from BKK as I'm told BKK temples cannot cope. This is and I hate to say this spillover. I think these may be covid deaths of migrant workers from covid camps. No one other than people in PPE including the monks in PPE are present. This maybe a huge cover up. This is just one temple. It can't be the only one.

Lots of infections in provinces adjacent to Bangkok, per official figures. 

2 hours ago, Donga said:

You guys kill me... 

1. Do either of you understand per capita - check the countries below Thailand and their populations. 

2. BS re top 80 ranking? Per capita please. 
3. And to the poster suggesting this is not doom stuff - what is it when people distort data (or unable to place in context) continually. 

I’ll continue to bang away about context because even in the grip of this wave, Thailand data is very very impressive. If people took off their blinkers, it should provide assurance that they’ll bring under control again. 

You know what? I think I might be “the poster suggesting this is not doom stuff.”

let’s start with a definition of “doom”

doom
/do͞om/

noun

1. death, destruction, or some other terrible fate.
    "the aircraft was sent crashing to its doom in the water"

verb

1. condemn to certain destruction or death.
    "fuel was spilling out of the damaged wing and the aircraft was doomed"

note that what you call “distortion of data” is not present in this definition. So even if as you claim, members are “distorting” data, it does not bear any relation to doom.

and what examples do you have of members “distorting data continually”? Data is presented by various members from various third party sources. Their interpretation of that data may differ to yours, but that is not distortion of the data itself. Your allegation is unfounded unless you can provide a specific example of data that has been distorted.

your other point is context. Context is similar to interpretation in so far as individual members might frame data in different contexts and be equally correct. You are at liberty to frame data in the context to which you feel relevant. There is no reason why other members should not use different context, which they believe to be equally relevant.

make your point, that is your prerogative, but I see little merit in labeling other members with derogatory titles such as “doom squad”.

Apologies for the change in font type. I can’t work out how to change it. ????
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Donga said:

You’re almost there! 

I looked for relative basis of cumulative and this is the best I could find:

To find the cumulative relative frequencies, add all the previous relative frequencies to the relative frequency for the current row. The last entry of the cumulative relative frequency column is one, indicating that one hundred percent of the data has been accumulated.

I should be able to understand your posts from now on.????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Sinovac Vaccine Restores a Brazilian City to Near Normal

Another place in Brazil has a similar vaccination plan, with locally produced AZ vaccines. There's every reason to expect great results there too.

It's not the "nationality" of the vaccine that counts. Getting more people vaccinated, according to protocol, and reaching herd immunity is an important step to re-opening and economic recovery. 

14 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

How does the timing of the death impact your hypothesis? Some people pass away quite quickly, others after a long slow decline. And then there are the ones that just refuse to die. They hang around in hospitals for ages and recover. And annoyingly, some people don’t even show symptoms.

i have a feeling testing might be with us for some time yet, despite the obvious mathematically based answer. ????

Annoyingly ? It doesn't annoy me, I think it's rather interesting.

3 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

You know what? I think I might be “the poster suggesting this is not doom stuff.”

let’s start with a definition of “doom”

doom
/do͞om/

noun

1. death, destruction, or some other terrible fate.
    "the aircraft was sent crashing to its doom in the water"
verb
  1. condemn to certain destruction or death.
    "fuel was spilling out of the damaged wing and the aircraft was doomed"

note that what you call “distortion of data” is not present in this definition. So even if as you claim, members are “distorting” data, it does not bear any relation to doom.

and what examples do you have of members “distorting data continually”? Data is presented by various members from various third party sources. Their interpretation of that data may differ to yours, but that is not distortion of the data itself. Your allegation is unfounded unless you can provide a specific example of data that has been distorted.

your other point is context. Context is similar to interpretation in so far as individual members might frame data in different contexts and be equally correct. You are at liberty to frame data in the context to which you feel relevant. There is no reason why other members should not use different context, which they believe to be equally relevant.

make your point, that is your prerogative, but I see little merit in labeling other members with derogatory titles such as “doom squad”.

Apologies for the change in font type. I can’t work out how to change it. ????

You seem like a sensible guy and I referred to you obliquely only as you questioned my use of the term doom squad.

Do you think it makes sense for Thailand to be compared to countries like Ireland, Denmark or say The Seychelles on absolute numbers when Thailand is the 20th most populated country? If so, I have to rethink my first sentence haha. And what if people continue to do so, day after day, with the hearts agreeing? Thailand will soon be in the Top 80 to date or is now in the Top 20 currently. Because some stat (in absolute terms) shows that? Is that the level of reasoning in this forum, good grief. 

And what about objectively looking at the data compared to other countries waves. I know there's no stats but kinda expect people to have a clue on the ravages that took place in Europe and Americas compared to what Thailand numbers are. Even with Thailand being in the grip of this wave, their to date deaths per capita are less than Australia and 20 to 50x that of most European and American countries. How can people blithely ignore that. 

I'm happy for the same half a dozen or so who tend to dominate the Covid threads (obviously with a few exceptions) to pick apart the politicians, their decisions re Songkran, testing and vaccine rollout to their hearts content.

But to use these absolute numbers as evidence as to how poorly Thailand is performing. Sorry can't abide as just so asinine and tedious. Either they are incapable of comparing like with like or choose not to. Why would that be?

Edited by Donga
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Hmm, I hadn’t read that. Where did you get the information from?

The more the virus is given a chance to replicate, the more likely that mutations will occur. So a new virus from Vietnam is very unusual, assuming that it can be verified.

• Sad 1

I was in a jab queue for my first pfizer last week ( Ireland)the organization first class to movement into the booth for the shot and the area for after receiving, didnt see 1 ounce of confusion. operation managed meticulously given a card with vac name, batch no. and date for 2nd jab.

I left thailand 3 weeks ago because they wont get this right they need expertees from the first world not just vacs

"someone said to me today how could a corrupt Thailand do a vaccine rollout"

Maybe private might match but public will eventually get it right mayb next year

Edited by tomyami

Considering that the USA are down over a half a million people so far from COVID, and likely getting

close to three quarters of a million, it will take Thailand a long time to lose that many of its population.

Places like India or Brazil are also less populated with their COVID deaths, and other deaths as well as

people leaving their countries due to other reasons, like civil unrest.   I wonder if the refugee camps

lose about 38 to 50 people a day to COVID.  Not much news from that part of the world about their

struggle with COVID.

Geezer

50 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Considering that the USA are down over a half a million people so far from COVID, and likely getting

close to three quarters of a million, it will take Thailand a long time to lose that many of its population.

Places like India or Brazil are also less populated with their COVID deaths, and other deaths as well as

people leaving their countries due to other reasons, like civil unrest.   I wonder if the refugee camps

lose about 38 to 50 people a day to COVID.  Not much news from that part of the world about their

struggle with COVID.

Geezer

It is going to take Thailand a huge amount of time to do this.\

Read very carefully and I give a 100 percent money back guarantee:  They have no earthly idea how much work and what kind of manpower it takes to give 12000000 jabs (that's 60000000 people and remember it's times by two)

In short, they don't have the manpower to do this.  When we did it it was all hands on deck, and they called back every retired person who wasn't in a nursing home to jab people.  

Even with that it takes a long long long time.  

9 hours ago, anchadian said:

Thailand has a little way to go:

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has announced three-quarters of adults in the UK have received a first dose of a Covid-19 vaccine

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1400085735890378753

And a fraction under 50% have received their second shots. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And a fraction under 50% have received their second shots. 

Even if they just get the first shots in, it makes a huge huge huge difference.  They are so far from it.  So very far.  News stories on how many doses are getting in or being bought doesn't mean a single thing.  Daily updates about who got vaccinated do.  They aren't vaccinating like they should.  

Again, I hope that I"m wrong but I seriously doubt it.

This fall will be another write-off.  At best, they will have maybe a few months at the trail end of the holiday season, in the spring.