Thailand reports 3,440 new COVID-19 cases, 38 new deaths

webfact

From 1-2 June 2021, 940,000 doses of #COVID19 vaccine have been distributed to vaccination centres nationwide 240,000 doses of AstraZeneca 700,000 doses of Sinovac #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1399971055763017731

Bangkok huge 50% dip from its 1356 cases on the 31st May. Those bubble and seal or lock em in and gain herd immunity approach is working wonders. No need to test them now.

Not possible to do that in the residential hotspots and clusters

Provinces by far made up the larger share of cases today

bangkok.png

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Because we don't know when the the cases were identified or even when the deaths occurred you can find the CFR by using the totals so far which is about 0.6% mortality rate is deaths compared to the total population which is about 0.002%

Deaths have always lagged in all countries it takes time to certify for many reasons but it should level out over time death rate has been higher since april but the infections are still showing 10%

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Donga said:

Yep, so if world rankings are a good indicator, then Thailand would be in the top 10% in performance, overall as recognised by John Hopkins University and the WHO.

Top 80 in terms of cases??? Pls recalculate on a per capita basis as more like bottom 40. And in a country with porous borders and fairly high migrant worker population.

While much of the world is seeing a decline in cases (from horrific levels for so very many), a few countries are experiencing a wave at this time, including Thailand. We can pontificate as to why and who is to blame, but fact is the wave is so much lower than most countries have been through.

Some mild examples - Malaysia, also with migrant workers and experiencing higher case numbers with less than half the population. While things are under control in Australia, their deaths per million are still higher than Thailand. Thailand has performed 20 to 50x better than most of Americas and Europe, where majority of the doom squad be from. 

Let's keep in context folks and maybe try understand why Thailand has done so well - heard it all from luck, genetics, diet, heat (partly but look at Central America). Good on you Danderman for your efforts to put the doom squad at ease.

In the meantime, let's hope Thailand can do it again and bring this more challenging wave under control.

Poster was referring to the world weekly trends, ie the here and now.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/weekly-trends/

weekly trends.png

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

The Chonburi governor has ordered a village in Mueang Chonburi to “lockdown” and migrant workers who enter Chonburi will have to quarantine for 14 days.

Is there more in Chonburi than we are led to believe?

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/06/02/chonburi-orders-a-temporary-lockdown-of-a-village-in-mueang-chonburi-and-requires-migrant-workers-entering-the-province-to-quarantine/

Yet they just opened the beached in Chonburi for the jet skiers and tourists to enjoy.  Amazing isn't it.

Image result for Chonburi Beaches. Size: 214 x 110. Source: thesmartlocal.com

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, anchadian said:

From 1-2 June 2021, 940,000 doses of #COVID19 vaccine have been distributed to vaccination centres nationwide 240,000 doses of AstraZeneca 700,000 doses of Sinovac #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1399971055763017731

It’s great to see a start being made, but these numbers are pitifully low.

to be optimistic, I suppose distribution has to start somewhere and hopefully it ramps up quickly 

5 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Hmm, I hadn’t read that. Where did you get the information from?

Think of it as a typo.The more you type or the more infections as in Covid cases the more chance of a typo or a variation.mutation.

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Can you imagine why there is a mutation in India? Or Brazil?

But not Luxembourg......?

Ok, got it now.  I think you are referring to antigenic drift.

Olmate described it quite well, you didn’t. 

some reference to back up your original statement would have helped, but I’m happy to google for myself

9 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Can you imagine why there is a mutation in India? Or Brazil?

But not Luxembourg......?

How does that fit in with the UK variant found when numbers there were relativity low, or the new variant in Vietnam where an expert said its possible it was from one patient who contracted the Indian and UK variant together?

Whats the threshold and where's the scientific evidence?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Sorry if I seem to be pedantic but isn't the median age of death half way between the oldest and the youngest death?if the youngest is 1 year old and the oldest is 99 isn't the median age about 49?Where as the average is the sum of the all the ages of deaths divided by the number of deaths?As in if the youngest is 1 year old and the oldest is 99 and most of the rest is around 75 to 80 years old wouldn't the average be around 75 to 80 years old?

The median would be total of ages divided by number of individuals 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

There are 3 different definitions of average, you choose the 'average' that most suits your agenda. If you want to prove how rich you nation is, always choose the mean as the rich people pull up the number, if you want to choose how poor your nation is choose the mode as that will surely be minimum wage.

Averages

Mean = add all the samples/number of samples.

Median = list all the samples in ascending order, pick the age with half the number of samples above, and half the number of samples below

Mode = age with the most samples.

So you've picked the mean, not the median.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I think it’s all a totally random thing from what I read. You could have very few cases and a mutation, or a lot of cases and no mutation. But overall, more cases does increase the chances of a mutation.

I imagine two cases in close proximity with different variants may increase the chance of mutation also.

the Brazil/Luxembourg thing Danders quoted didn’t make much sense but the typo analogy Olmart used is a helpful way to think of it.

a sentence of typing may or may not have a typo. A whole page of typing may or may not have a typo. But the whole page will have more chance  of a typo because there is more typing done.

Sure and I agree with you entirely its more likely with more cases but that does not negate the chance of one developing from very few cases, thats a very important distinction especially when you have different patients with different variants in close proximity to each other. Danders forgot about that important fact.

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Sure and I agree with you entirely its more likely with more cases but that does not negate the chance of one developing from very few cases, thats a very important distinction especially when you have different patients with different variants in close proximity to each other. Danders forgot about that important fact.

Danders made a statement. It was hard to know if it was fact or not because there was nothing to back it up. So it could have been opinion.

the reality is that he had a kernel of truth without it being the whole truth.

anyway, it was interesting for me to read up on antigenic drift so as to make out whether what was being said was the truth, the whole truth, or anything but the truth ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

I thinks that's what most of us call an average, but words can adapt and take on different meanings so it's no set in concrete or stone.

13 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Danders made a statement. It was hard to know if it was fact or not because there was nothing to back it up. So it could have been opinion.

the reality is that he had a kernel of truth without it being the whole truth.

anyway, it was interesting for me to read up on antigenic drift so as to make out whether what was being said was the truth, the whole truth, or anything but the truth ????

I think what he was meaning was that after the number of infections and mutations are recorded then the mutation rate can be determined but a mutation rate doesn't determine the mutation rate of a new virus, it's a wait and see function.As mentioned you can have numerous mutations in one group of infections and no mutations in another group of infections of the same number. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I think what he was meaning was that after the number of infections and mutations are recorded then the mutation rate can be determined but a mutation rate doesn't determine the mutation rate of a new virus, it's a wait and see function.As mentioned you can have numerous mutations in one group of infections and no mutations in another group of infections of the same number. 

I've just done a little reading up on it and there are two major sources for mutation antigenic drift' (minor mutation) and 'antigenic shift' (major mutations). Time in circulation seem to be the most important factor to these forming not necessarily the amount of cases.

Of course this does not take into account other possible reasons for mutations ie when they mix together. 

• Like 2