Thailand reports 3,440 new COVID-19 cases, 38 new deaths

webfact

19 minutes ago, Donga said:

Yep, so if world rankings are a good indicator, then Thailand would be in the top 10% in performance, overall as recognised by John Hopkins University and the WHO.

Top 80 in terms of cases??? Pls recalculate on a per capita basis as more like bottom 40. And in a country with porous borders and fairly high migrant worker population.

While much of the world is seeing a decline in cases (from horrific levels for so very many), a few countries are experiencing a wave at this time, including Thailand. We can pontificate as to why and who is to blame, but fact is the wave is so much lower than most countries have been through.

Some mild examples - Malaysia, also with migrant workers and experiencing higher case numbers with less than half the population. While things are under control in Australia, their deaths per million are still higher than Thailand. Thailand has performed 20 to 50x better than most of Americas and Europe, where majority of the doom squad be from. 

Let's keep in context folks and maybe try understand why Thailand has done so well - heard it all from luck, genetics, diet, heat (partly but look at Central America). Good on you Danderman for your efforts to put the doom squad at ease.

In the meantime, let's hope Thailand can do it again and bring this more challenging wave under control.

I was enjoying your post, putting forward an alternative and not unreasonable view of the Thai situation.....but then you just couldn’t resist calling other people names  could you?

people who feel Thailand’s Covid situation is deteriorating and the vaccination efforts are muddled and behind schedule are not part of a “doom squad”. They simply have a different view to you and most provide evidence to support why they have the view they have.

Give you “A” for effort though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, phills2k1 said:

Oh, well if delays are to be expected when converting a medical plant into one that makes vaccines for the first time every, then mai pen rai! No harm in securing the license instead of actual doses.  It's not like time is of the essence or anything.

Just out of curiosity though, wasn't the plant supposed to be up and running in April?  Or am I misremembering?

Not sure. I think June has always been the date for mass roll out though.

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

as is yours....

And yours ????

Seriously, I don’t know why people take these figures seriously. Should let the WHO come in, test 10% of the populace and impartially report results. Anything else is just guessing. You’re dealing with a save-face-wherever-possible mentality and a military junta. 

• Like 2

This month authority should concentrates attention to Universities and Schools.

I heard that they are calling all the teachers to vaccinate, with more or less polite threats.

There is a possibility that cases of infection will increase.

57 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

If BKK and surrounds adopt this schools will not open until next year.

Indeed a scary thought!  I'm beginning to doubt that my kid's school in Bangkok will open again on 14 June. It's been online since term started in mid-April and term is due to finish on 2 July.  A wasted term if the promised re-opening date doesn't happen.

3 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

And the Indian variant just had a baby with the UK variant to make a new mutation found in Vietnam. Gonna be a lot of tweaked vaccines needing to be made now.

Then there is Malaysia on the Southern border with over 7000 cases June 1. https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/malaysias-new-covid19-cases-jump-7105-selangor-records-2068-new-infections. And with half the population of Thailand

Edited by morrobay

8 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I distinctly remember the experts saying corona viruses don't mutate quickly, were the experts wrong?

What is your definition of quickly? Doesn't it depend on a possibility of a glitch every time it replicates itself in a host? Seems to be doing quite the fast job at mutating now. 

The coronavirus is mutating—but what determines how quickly? (nationalgeographic.com)

Edited by holy cow cm

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Indeed a scary thought!  I'm beginning to doubt that my kid's school in Bangkok will open again on 14 June. It's been online since term started in mid-April and term is due to finish on 2 July.  A wasted term if the promised re-opening date doesn't happen.

Schools were closed when the numbers were in the hundreds. Now >2k everday. 

#COVID19 update in #Thailand on Wednesday: Since 1 April 2021

136,599 people infected (+15 imported cases & +3,425 local cases)

1,013 dead +38

49,777 in care

1,247 in ICU &

381 on ventilators

2,843 discharged from care

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1399963488643010566

the mortality rate to infection seems a bit on the high side todays figures would suggest it 10% when in the developed world it was a lot lower more like 1%.

So if it was to equal out the infection rate is possibly a lot higher maybe add another 0.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The median age for the Covid19 deaths in Thailand is right around the cut-off age of 64/65 between two groups, so using 1% seems like a reasonable numbers, giving 2-4,000 daily infections, based on the recent mortality number.

Your math is working.

Screenshot_20210602-101201_Chrome.jpg

Sorry if I seem to be pedantic but isn't the median age of death half way between the oldest and the youngest death?if the youngest is 1 year old and the oldest is 99 isn't the median age about 49?Where as the average is the sum of the all the ages of deaths divided by the number of deaths?As in if the youngest is 1 year old and the oldest is 99 and most of the rest is around 75 to 80 years old wouldn't the average be around 75 to 80 years old?

Today there are 38 deaths in #Thailand:

24 males and 14 females

Median age is 67 (10 months-95 years)

Most deaths in Bangkok (18), Samut Prakan (4), Chonburi (3), Pathum Thani (3), Chachoengsao + Nonthaburi + Surat Thani (2) plus 4 provinces with one each

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1399964560220581888

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yeah, children's education seems to be of little concern to the powers-that-be. ????

Yep. Their insistence to keep the economy open has led to this. That's why so many called for a circuit breaker lockdown. It is for sure a delicate balance but the trigger needs to be pulled early. They didn't do it and the consequences are now obvious.

• Thanks 1

Out of the 2,338 local cases (outside of prisons), most in:

Bangkok - 680

Samut Prakan - 466

Phetchaburi - 449

Trang - 176

Samut Sakhon - 78

Nonthaburi - 62

Pathum Thani - 39

Narathiwat - 34

Ayutthaya - 33

Chonburi - 29

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1399965647048634370

16 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Should let the WHO come in, test 10% of the populace and impartially report results

Give me a break.....wasn't impressed by their past performances,

3 minutes ago, tomyami said:

the mortality rate to infection seems a bit on the high side todays figures would suggest it 10% when in the developed world it was a lot lower more like 1%.

So if it was to equal out the infection rate is possibly a lot higher maybe add another 0.

Because we don't know when the the cases were identified or even when the deaths occurred you can find the CFR by using the totals so far which is about 0.6% mortality rate is deaths compared to the total population which is about 0.002%

8 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Today there are 38 deaths in #Thailand:

24 males and 14 females

Median age is 67 (10 months-95 years)

Most deaths in Bangkok (18), Samut Prakan (4), Chonburi (3), Pathum Thani (3), Chachoengsao + Nonthaburi + Surat Thani (2) plus 4 provinces with one each

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1399964560220581888

Are they confusing the word median with average?

12 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yeah, children's education seems to be of little concern to the powers-that-be. ????

Send them all to military camp and educational centers. If good for them giving them the the big chimichangas, good for the minions. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Out of the 2,338 local cases (outside of prisons), most in:

Bangkok - 680

Samut Prakan - 466

Phetchaburi - 449

Trang - 176

Samut Sakhon - 78

Nonthaburi - 62

Pathum Thani - 39

Narathiwat - 34

Ayutthaya - 33

Chonburi - 29

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1399965647048634370

Some big new clusters in Samut Prakan and Phetchaburi..... and Trang. 

Will there be any major improvements over the coming weeks?  We shall see,

About 1.75 percent of the population is fully vaccinated, with 2,591,372 (+51,881) people received the first dose, while 1,162,346 (+36,978) received the second dose.

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1399969608480673792

Edited by anchadian

27 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Sorry if I seem to be pedantic but isn't the median age of death half way between the oldest and the youngest death?if the youngest is 1 year old and the oldest is 99 isn't the median age about 49?Where as the average is the sum of the all the ages of deaths divided by the number of deaths?As in if the youngest is 1 year old and the oldest is 99 and most of the rest is around 75 to 80 years old wouldn't the average be around 75 to 80 years old?

I think median is just a bad translation of average, what ever that might be in Thai.

• Thanks 1