US to Help Supply COVID-19 Vaccines to Thailand

snoop1130

35 minutes ago, shdmn said:

That's still just a rehash of the same announcement they have been repeating for several days now with a few more details added.  Still just lip service trying to get maximum mileage out of repeated announcements imo.

I haven't seen any prior U.S. announcement that confirmed Thailand was getting any specific number of doses from the U.S.  If there was a prior announcement of that, please go ahead and post a link to it.

21 minutes ago, shdmn said:

As far as I'm concerned, the US already lost the vaccine diplomacy war.  For months now the stories have been about China/Russia shipping vaccines abroad.  Stories of countries receiving the vaccines.  Stories of people getting the shots.  On the US end the stories have been how the US is NOT doing any of those things.  So that is what is burned into peoples minds now. 

In that regard, I would agree....  But perhaps better late than never counts for something.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

E2_1WSFWYAEiIGd.jpg

It's almost nothing when you spread it across all those countries.  Thailand will be lucky if they get 1/2 million.  Not even a drop in the bucket. 

Meanwhile, Sinopharm said they will be shipping over 1 billion shots abroad in the 2nd half of this year.  SinoVac will probably do the same.  So that's 2 billion shots vs the US which still hasn't even shipped 80 million.  Less than 1/20th what China will ship 2nd half of this year.  They probably already shipped out 1 billion shots in the first half of this year. 

It's a bad joke if the US thinks all this lip service over a measly 80 million shots, which they STILL have not shipped, is going to impress people.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, shdmn said:

It's almost nothing when you spread it across all those countries.  Thailand will be lucky if they get 1/2 million.

Seven million doses for what looks to be about 2 billion people in designated Asian countries, all needing two doses from the 7 million for a full vaccination. Laughable.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, shdmn said:

It's almost nothing when you spread it across all those countries.  Thailand will be lucky if they get 1/2 million.  Not even a drop in the bucket. 

Agreed. Mighty disappointed.

But maybe there are future donations coming?

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

Meanwhile, Sinopharm said they will be shipping over 1 billion shots abroad in the 2nd half of this year.  SinoVac will probably do the same.  So that's 2 billion shots vs the US which still hasn't even shipped 80 million.  Less than 1/20th what China will ship 2nd half of this year.  They probably already shipped out 1 billion shots in the first half of this year. 

It's a bad joke if the US thinks all this lip service over a measly 80 million shots, which they STILL have not shipped, is going to impress people.

It's hard to compare China to countries in the west.  Communism vs. democracy.  China can do what ever it wants with any company there.  Impossible to do this in the west.  But....

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_21_2548

Coronavirus: Commission signs a third contract with BioNTech-Pfizer for an additional 1.8 billion doses

• Like 1

15 hours ago, friendofthai said:

While China is supplying vaccines, America is supplying... promises. 

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Bahrain has begun offering a booster shot of the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine for some people, six months after they received two shots of China’s Sinopharm vaccine...

The government’s BeAware mobile phone app allows those living in Bahrain to register for booster shots of either the Pfizer or the Sinopharm jabs. However, the government now recommends that people over 50, the obese and people with weakened immune systems receive the Pfizer shot regardless of whether they first received Sinopharm.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/19/uae-bahrain-offer-third-sinopharm-shots-amid-vaccine-efficacy-worries.html

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2021 at 10:33 AM, wwest5829 said:

No, doesn’t sound about right. It sounds more like conspiracy fodder, made up based on not knowing what will happen. Me? I am pushing for Medicare benefits, earned and paid for by civilian employment be extended on the same basis as earned and paid for military benefits. The retired military gets global coverage, Medicare = zip out of US territory.

saw a bit this week that govt says they pay too much to help govt employees and retirees pay for their health insurance especially with the zooming pharma and hospital costs.  Therefore they are trying to come up with a plan to force all govt employees and I guess retirees go 100% Medicare instead of the private insurance companies which I am sure will have those insurance companies screaming as they won't have millions that can afford the same coverage.  I have had the same insurance co for 40+ years and now that I am old, I can only imagine what it will cost me if this comes to fruition since Medicare can only be used in the US, wonder how they will handle all the foreign service people that are stationed overseas and us retirees since that was all part of our retirement package back in the day.  Usually changes to any benefits due in retirement, it begins with the new employees but this is a semi-official benefit I guess.  Hopefully it won't happen for a few years.  I am getting to the age that it would be just about impossible to afford local insurance with the same benefits.  Hmm will definitely consider leaving if this does happen.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2021 at 4:36 AM, Cake Monster said:

Why is America even contemplating this notion.

It is not as if Thailand is a poor Country, and needs help with Vaccine procurement due to a lack of funds, or to help the Covax Initiative along.

China still accepts foreign aid.

Foreign countries the UK for example send money to China to help develop their education and support human rights (what a joke) combat illegal wildlife trade and promote green energy policy.

Crazy world we live in isn't it?

https://www.theweek.co.uk/107599/how-china-bags-71m-foreign-aid-from-uk

It has always been political nothing new here.  As a American I have a problem with just giving 30 million in assistance or supplying Thailand with vaccine itself like Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J, unless the U.S. oversee the distribution because just providing it to the leaders without any accountability is just inviting corruption on the leaders end to resell the assistance into profit to themselves.

As far as I'm concern although I live and have family here the leaders have made their choice (China) why should U.S. help that is the problem with our government they visit but don't stay long enough to have a clue as to how Thai leaders view foreigners. ????

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 7:29 AM, Caldera said:

I didn't realize that Thailand was still in need of such handouts, unlike Cambodia and Laos. How embarrassing.

Read my post above China accepts handouts too ????‍♂️

Now that's what I call embarrassing. 

Edited by JamieM

5 minutes ago, JamieM said:

China still accepts foreign aid.

Foreign countries the UK for example send money to China to help develop their education and support human rights (what a joke) combat illegal wildlife trade and promote green energy policy.

Crazy world we live in isn't it?

https://www.theweek.co.uk/107599/how-china-bags-71m-foreign-aid-from-uk

Yes crazy, yet China is listed still as a developing country so they get trade exceptions from the WTO?  Years ago accepted 250,000 USD to do a study how a poppy grow in the colder region of China, and what about now reports Dr. Weasle who supply and diverted funds to develop the current Virus?  There is a long list the question is what is the U.S. and the rest of the world going to do to make China accountable?

On 6/2/2021 at 5:17 PM, Captain Monday said:

Madame Secretary, you are greeting the PM of Thailand not saluting your opponent 

in an Octagon cage fight.

I am a farang from the US and that was the first thing I noticed. Remember when Obama bowed to a Saudi prince... It is sad and sometime embarrassing the actions of our elected official and department heads. 

Edited by Kenneth White
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Kenneth White said:

I am a farang from the US and that was the first thing I noticed. Remember when Obama bowed to a Saudi prince... It is sad and sometime embarrassing the actions of our elected official and department heads. 

Of course they should bow, it is an appropriate greeting in context. Trump bowed to accept the same bling. George Bush kissed King Fahd then they walked around holding hands, like two little girls.

I just think she did her "wai" incorrectly looked like Bolo Yeung in Bloodsport. 

The best thing about this photo was realizing I didn't know who the Secretary of State was let alone his deputy. Under the current the White House,  State officials don't need to run around spewing right-wing tropes or make outrageous undemocratic statements to the media all day to curry favor with the failed ex-potus. I don't agree with all of it but we are back to predictable and consistent mainstream foreign policies and leadership our friends and allies can rely upon.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, JamieM said:

Another poster suggested they should feel shame and guilt. Two emotions the CCP do not have.

They will be made accountable. The USA and allies went to war for 20 years over the deaths of 2600 people in the world trade centre on September 11th.

Do you really think the world will stand by and do nothing over the 3.7 million deaths from covid? history says there will be a price to pay for this.

These are really different times like it or not China is really winning the P.R. role. The U.S. although the biggest contributor to the U.N. and other World organization get out voted majority of times by two country China and Russia if the U.S. vote right the two and their supporter vote left.

Do I think the world will stand by up to now only a few of step up but doing so there is a price to pay does the world have the fortitude to pay that price. Prior to the pandemic just look at the NBA and some of their major players like Chairman Bron it was shut up or we end your endorsement.  So far when the CCP say jump it is not jump but how high?

There was such an interview about your concern just a few month back that in every disaster in the world a price was paid but in this case financially 16-20 Trillion has been lost due to this pandemic and as you noted the lives lost yet NOTHING  so far has been asked of China NOTHING!

Yes, I hope history will repeat itself but I wouldn't hold my breath.

3 hours ago, futsukayoi said:

Be criminal to give them the vaccine otherwise.  China made sure it's citizens were looked after as part of it's vaccine sale to China.  I think all other countries should be blocking supplies of vaccines or precursors to make them until Thailand ends its racist stance.  They only have vaccines due to the generosity of other countries and then screw their citizens.

Only if you think Thai citizens constitute a particular race. I've got news for you there are expats from all over the world her including  from nations like Laos and Cambodia. This issue is nationality, not race. If you want to feel aggrieved, at least do so in a fact-based way.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2021 at 8:34 AM, shdmn said:

Shame on the US for offering a lesser amount of quality vaccine instead of a mass quantity of Chinese junk

On 6/4/2021 at 8:34 AM, shdmn said:

You're mistaking charitable contributions exported by Pfizer and Moderna with total vaccines exported We know that they have external contracts to supply vaccines abroad in 2020. Pfizer USA alone has the capacity to manufacture 25 million doses per week, way above what the US needs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, placeholder said:

You're mistaking charitable contributions exported by Pfizer and Moderna with total vaccines exported We know that they have external contracts to supply vaccines abroad in 2020. Pfizer USA alone has the capacity to manufacture 25 million doses per week, way above what the US needs.

As far as I know, no Moderna vaccines made in the US have left the US...yet.  Not for charity, not for profit.

Pfizer is has started shipping some US made vaccine abroad for profit since a few weeks ago.  That is because they never accepted any US gov't seed money so they are not as restricted from doing that like US made Moderna, US made J&J, and US made AstraZeneca.  Those companies accepted US gov't seed money so they have more restrictions on when they can start to export.  

This is in stark contrast to the EU's much more humanitarian stance.  I believe they are only asking the manufacturers to reserve 50% of their made in EU vaccine for the EU. 

Edited by shdmn

18 minutes ago, shdmn said:

As far as I know, no Moderna vaccines made in the US have left the US...yet.  Not for charity, not for profit.

Pfizer is has started shipping some US made vaccine abroad for profit since a few weeks ago.  That is because they never accepted any US gov't seed money so they are not as restricted from doing that like US made Moderna, US made J&J, and US made AstraZeneca.  Those companies accepted US gov't seed money so they have more restrictions on when they can start to export.  

This is in stark contrast to the EU's much more humanitarian stance.  I believe they are only asking the manufacturers to reserve 50% of their made in EU vaccine for the EU. 

The US can't use all the vaccines that Moderna is producing. Why would it stop Moderna from sending them abroad?

Vaccine Exports From U.S. Accelerate as Moderna Ships Abroad

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-20/moderna-starts-shipping-vaccine-from-u-s-boosting-shot-exports

13 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The US can't use all the vaccines that Moderna is producing. Why would it stop Moderna from sending them abroad?

Vaccine Exports From U.S. Accelerate as Moderna Ships Abroad

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-20/moderna-starts-shipping-vaccine-from-u-s-boosting-shot-exports

I would be curious how much they have shipped abroad so far.  The article couldn't get anyone to go on the record about that which makes me suspicious.  It could just be some token amount so they can say "see, we aren't hoarding anymore".

I know Canada still gets Moderna from Europe.   Seem rather odd considering Moderna is also making so much of the vaccine in the US, just a few hundred miles from the border.

Edited by shdmn

14 hours ago, futsukayoi said:

Be criminal to give them the vaccine otherwise.  China made sure it's citizens were looked after as part of it's vaccine sale to China.  I think all other countries should be blocking supplies of vaccines or precursors to make them until Thailand ends its racist stance.  They only have vaccines due to the generosity of other countries and then screw their citizens.

In Guam, excess US federal government supplied vaccines are restricted to US citizens. As US citizens paid for this, that rule had better be applied here first

https://www.pncguam.com/vaccine-tourism-may-include-non-us-citizens-as-covid-vaccines-may-soon-be-sold-on-guam/?fbclid=IwAR3W75hu_hOwXuQ4toBjupSkxIQWd_geaxSstEJEUg3E1B1PdNGU0eNEE2I

2 minutes ago, w94005m said:

In Guam, excess US federal government supplied vaccines are restricted to US citizens. As US citizens paid for this, that rule had better be applied here first

https://www.pncguam.com/vaccine-tourism-may-include-non-us-citizens-as-covid-vaccines-may-soon-be-sold-on-guam/?fbclid=IwAR3W75hu_hOwXuQ4toBjupSkxIQWd_geaxSstEJEUg3E1B1PdNGU0eNEE2I

You would think that but are those south Korean troops that are getting vaccinated US citizens face it the only time the US government is concerned with us is tax time 

On 6/4/2021 at 7:18 PM, Captain Monday said:

Of course they should bow, it is an appropriate greeting in context. Trump bowed to accept the same bling. George Bush kissed King Fahd then they walked around holding hands, like two little girls.

I just think she did her "wai" incorrectly looked like Bolo Yeung in Bloodsport. 

The best thing about this photo was realizing I didn't know who the Secretary of State was let alone his deputy. Under the current the White House,  State officials don't need to run around spewing right-wing tropes or make outrageous undemocratic statements to the media all day to curry favor with the failed ex-potus. I don't agree with all of it but we are back to predictable and consistent mainstream foreign policies and leadership our friends and allies can rely upon.

I agree that lower government official should keep with each countries cultural greeting or customs.

Your comment about President Trumps failures is unfounded just look at the mess the current administration has got America in by undoing what President Trump was able to accomplish. 

• Like 2