7-eleven chicken tikka masala

You would not believe how easy it is to make your own very tastey chicken masala! Fry onions, add garlic n chili, add spices (cumin, corriander, tumeric, paprika), fry chicken in spices until browned... add tinned chopped tomatos, add garam masala,  add cup of cooking cream... sprinkle with corriander...done! Bon appetit! Very easy... 30 minutes tops. For proper masala chiecken you should marinade the chicken and grill it first but too much hassle if you ask me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mickyr55 said:

Racism from a rascist nation, was the same in the UK 50 years ago, then in the late 90s chicken tikka masala overtook fish and chips as the national favourite dish. 

Quintessentially British fish and chips was apparently imported a few hundred years earlier by Jewish immigrants.

• Haha 1

Me: "OK honey, let's go and find a restaurant, what do you want to eat?".

Thai girl: "Up to you, I don't mind I can eat anything".

Me: "OK let's got to soi 3 and have some Indian food, I could murder a lamb vindaloo".

Thai girl: "Are you crazy? Why would you want to eat that? Take me to eat 30 baht noodle soup, much better".

I have experienced this precise situation many times. There is definitely something ingrained in to Thais against all things Indian. My wife won't even be in the same room as me if I am eating Indian food.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

I love Indian food coming from the UK where there is a huge choice of Indian Regional Styles.

I rarely get Indian takeaway here on Samui as I have never found any that remotely compares to the stuff from back home, so I cook my own mostly.

My GF gets in a very bad mood and goes about "Retching" and saying "mĕn mak mak"!

I have found this with all Thai girls and asked her why the smell is so abhorrent?

She said without even a hint of guilt about her racism, "Indians are dirty and their food is dirty too!.....Food smell dirty".

After 10 years of living with her the only Indian food I have got her to even taste was some tandoori chicken which she loved until one day I told her it was an Indian recipe.

After that she pretended she didn't like it, but I notice that whenever I leave some in the fridge a few pieces mysteriously disappear!

691568859_Iwonderemoji.jpg.e0186f926558a1e9a2e890f15c0df9ff.jpg

Massaman curry could also go under Indian style curry and the majority of Thai people eats it. Not only muslims or south people.

I think many are scared of the hygenic conditions and possible diarrhea after eating Indian food. But you also can get this from Thai food vendors.

I was in India for three weeks holiday and only had one time bad luck.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CLW said:

Massaman curry could also go under Indian style curry and the majority of Thai people eats it. Not only muslims or south people.

I think many are scared of the hygenic conditions and possible diarrhea after eating Indian food. But you also can get this from Thai food vendors.

I was in India for three weeks holiday and only had one time bad luck.

My wife won't touch Massaman curry, or even green curry. She just likes khanom jeen, som tam, and cold bowls of insipid soups containing entrails. She did try some of my pizzas though and very reluctantly admitted that they were "OK".

There is definitely something more deep-rooted about why Thais have such disdain for people from the Indian sub-continent. I suspect, and I maybe be wrong, that Thais have this idea that people with darker skin are bad, and people with lighter skin are good, which is why all the Thai dramas have people with paper-white skin, and that skin-whitening products are so popular.

It is what it is, and I don't condemn anyone for their opinions, but they sure are missing out on some amazing food.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

I'm seriously considering turning one of those big clay water containers in my wife's garden into a tandoor. It wouldn't take much, and can get all the spices from ZingStreet. 

I thought about that too. Please keep us updated. 

3 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

Me: "OK honey, let's go and find a restaurant, what do you want to eat?".

Thai girl: "Up to you, I don't mind I can eat anything".

Me: "OK let's got to soi 3 and have some Indian food, I could murder a lamb vindaloo".

Thai girl: "Are you crazy? Why would you want to eat that? Take me to eat 30 baht noodle soup, much better".

I have experienced this precise situation many times. There is definitely something ingrained in to Thais against all things Indian. My wife won't even be in the same room as me if I am eating Indian food.

Thais for some reason think of Indian food being dirty. Asking for evidence they point to them eating with their hands... or they'll pull up some video of food being prepared in some Mumbai slum.... Which of course has nothing to do with eating at an Indian place in Bangkok...

Luckily, many of my Thai friends who never had Indian food before trusted me with dinner at Mrs Balbir's, and let me make suggestions. Following that, it's now them are asking to visit Indian place again.

Raised in countryside of a small country in Europe, I didn't have any access to nor any interest in Indian food for much of my life. But after visiting Kathmandu, and later Karachi and Mumbai for work-related trips lasting weeks, Indian food became a weekly affair. Seeing that chicken tikka masala in 7-11 needed not a split second of thought to pick it up, and while I won't say it's the best masala chicken I've ever had, it's darn good for a convenience store chilled meal, reheated in a microwave.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bobbin said:

I used the Tesco Tikka Masala sauce 2 nights ago. This offering from 7 has a nicer flavour..

I've got a couple of other Tesco Indian sauces.. Jalfreezi, Madras, and even a Rogan Josh.

Not sold anymore in the new Lotus's..

I see. The one I meant was not a sauce, though. It was a thick paste that had to be diluted with some water to turn it into a sauce. The only Tesco I ever saw it at was the one in Navanakorn. I moved back home on 2014. I went on holiday to Thailand in 2017 and the Tesco in Bang Na didn’t have it. Maybe they took it out of their sortiment or maybe they never had it in Bang Na. Anyway, I’m pretty sure any Indian store 9n Bangkok will have it.

On 6/2/2021 at 7:06 AM, edwardandtubs said:

I agree but it's pretty difficult to avoid that rubbery texture with microwaved chicken breast.

Don't know why Thai restaurants cook with chicken breast. Dark meat is juicier and more flavorful..

• Confused 1

I'm sure when indian food first arrived in the UK the Brits reaction to it was very much the same as Thai attitudes now to Indian food. I didn't try my first indian dish until I was in my 20's, had always avoided it. I still remember being dragged to an indian restaurant by my uni pals, after that I was a regular!

As people are pointing out... as soon as the Thai's actually try it, they usually agree that it is delicious. Demand from Thais is slowly increasing, I think its a matter of time before there is a huge explosion of Indian food here in Thailand.

9 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

As people are pointing out... as soon as the Thai's actually try it, they usually agree that it is delicious. Demand from Thais is slowly increasing, I think its a matter of time before there is a huge explosion of Indian food here in Thailand.

I hope so......I can make my own from authentic Indian recipes, but it's a big effort and takes a long time.

one curry base - 20 plus indian curry recipes | hotel style all-purpose curry base gravy recipe - YouTube

i just tried it, the meat and sauce was surprisingly

good flavor, the rice was dry as was to be expected,

i will be better off buying a croissant or a pack of fried potato for next time and skip the rice.

another dish 7/11 has that is good is spagetti carbonara,

its a black bag in the freezer

On 6/2/2021 at 9:14 PM, bobbin said:

I think it's pretty darn good.. the tikka massala. But the basmati rice is sub-par.

I have started to make my own basmati rice with tumeric in the rice cooker. Big improvement.

Basmati is a strain of rice with its own distinct taste. The gene has been 'copyrighted'  as is the case with Thai Jasmine rice. Surinam rice is highly  rated and Iranian rice is also  good. The worst  rice  in the  world is Uncle  Ben's BITB slop.