Work Permit Syphilis Blood Test Needed in Bangkok?

For the last 10 years or so I've used Dr. Donna at MedConsult Asia for my work permit medical certificate.  I've never done the blood test and it has never been an issue.  Recently I have read reports that the Bangkok labor office is requiring it of all applicants.  Any recent reports from people who did not submit the form?  My work permit is from Thammasat, a public university, so maybe that has made a difference?

I know for years many have insisted the blood test is an absolute requirement and that the form must come from a hospital and not a clinic, but that has not been my experience., so far anyway......  

I've always used a hospital for my medical. I tell them that it's for my WP and they then tick certain boxes on a printed list. I've always done the blood test. Both Bangkok and Pathum Thani have required that the certificate comes from a hospital and the blood test completed. That's my experience, I think you may have been lucky so far.

I use Sai Mai hospital. Med cert is around 600 baht.

• Like 1

syphilis blood test? first time i hear about it.

now with the corona they should worry about other tests.

as if there is shortage of STD in thailand.

why syphilis and not HIV or even tubercolosis?

only they will know....propably a requirement from the old days

when the only STD in thailand was syhphilis.

ANYWAY it is an invasion to the person privacy and i am sure that if

the test will come out positive the information will be made public on all

thailand health care system. amazing what people are willing to put up with

just to stay in thailand

• Like 1

I did my work permit medical certificate at MedConsult in April. The syphilis test is pretty much manditory as there has been a government crack down, but they uses one of those instant kits where they draw blood from your figure tip. I found it completely painless and quick, they do it right there at the office. I think it was an extra 300 for the test, but don't quote me on that.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BangnaBound said:

I did my work permit medical certificate at MedConsult in April. The syphilis test is pretty much manditory as there has been a government crack down, but they uses one of those instant kits where they draw blood from your figure tip. I found it completely painless and quick, they do it right there at the office. I think it was an extra 300 for the test, but don't quote me on that.

I still wonder if it is really needed or if Medconsult has jumped on the band wagon.   I think last year they asked me if I needed the blood test and I said no and it was not required.   

I used to get it for both work permit and OA visa later after I retired. Local clinic did all for 500 baht. Just show them the form, they are all familiar with what's needed. Most local clinics are titled 'hospital' officially anyway ..as long as a licensed doctor signs off, it's good to go.

I've been doing my wp medical at Medconsult for years, and this is the first time they were really insistant on the syphilis. They were more conserned about the paper work then actually drowing blood. They had to attach the label from the used test kit to some form.

• Like 1

I did mine last month and had to have medical not more than 39 days old. Very quick just one blood test. Picked up the form the next day. Any clinic will do it. Just say its for a work permit. Think it was 300 baht

In the past the work permit tertiary stage syphilis blood test was not required in Bangkok except for immigrant workers from neighboring countries.  All that was required was the docs signature on the form.

The hospitals and clinics saying it was a requirement were mostly just scamming extra fees.  I still wonder what the true situation is.  Maybe MedConsult had some forms refused.

1 minute ago, ricklev said:

In the past the work permit tertiary stage syphilis blood test was not required in Bangkok except for immigrant workers from neighboring countries.  All that was required was the docs signature on the form.

The hospitals and clinics saying it was a requirement were mostly just scamming extra fees.  I still wonder what the true situation is.  Maybe MedConsult had some forms refused.

Here in Ubon Ratchathani I get a Work Permit every two years. I have permanent residency and own a private company. For the Work Permit I still have to have a hospital checkup for 6 diseases which includes syphilis. In the past, I never had to have a syphilis test but for the past 10 years this test has been compulsory. Says so on the form for extending ones Work Permit. Can not argue with a form. 

I often wondered the same but I choose to get tested anyway. I'd rather have what is said to be needed than worry about being turned down on the day. As I'm already at the hospital for the WP medical, a quick vial of blood extra is no hassle. 

Regarding working for TU, I believe this will help in a sense of prestige, but I've found immigration get quite shirty when something is missing from your application. The prestige exists for a reason and if you/your employer start making their job difficult it will soon disappear.

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

Positively concurred that syplilis blood test is mandatory. No if or but. 

People have been saying that its mandatory for years, all the while everyone I know was using Medconsult with no test.  

7 minutes ago, ricklev said:

People have been saying that its mandatory for years, all the while everyone I know was using Medconsult with no test.  

Sunday 26 February 2017, 11:00AM

Work permit applications in Phuket still require medical tests for syphilis.

42 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Sunday 26 February 2017, 11:00AM

Actually the Thai part translates as stage three syphilis for which there is no blood test needed because, well Google for pics.......

I'm not looking for an internet fight though.  Just curious about the truth.  I know the syphilis test was put into place because someone thought that foreign workers  from neighboring countries were bringing in a dangerous strain and then hospitals and clinics started pretending that it was a requirement for everyone.  This is in Bangkok.   

• Thanks 1

I discussed this with a doctor at hospital, the  blood test is for government requirement for Stage 3 syphilis'sSyphilis images | DermNet NZ 

GRAPHIC IMAGES: Malignant Syphilis Photos Powerfully Demonstrate The Impact  It Has On The Body | HuffPost UK Lifeok  If you this ! what are you doing out of hospital and on the street? He agreed that wasn't the case for me and forgo the extra cost of the blood test. Have done the test before and he felt after check up I ain't got it! He did state that certain countries ( name them yourself) have very high rates of the disease  First world European countries not being the ones.What is Syphilis?

Edited by phetpeter

On 6/3/2021 at 10:37 AM, BangnaBound said:

instant kits where they draw blood from your figure tip. I found it completely painless and quick, they do it right there at the office

pointless unless it turns out you have that dreaded disease ha ha

On 6/3/2021 at 1:10 PM, jaiyenyen said:

I've always used a hospital for my medical. I tell them that it's for my WP and they then tick certain boxes on a printed list. I've always done the blood test. Both Bangkok and Pathum Thani have required that the certificate comes from a hospital and the blood test completed. That's my experience, I think you may have been lucky so far.

I use Sai Mai hospital. Med cert is around 600 baht.

Same.

7 hours ago, timendres said:

Work permit renewal Feb 2021.

Bangkok. BumRunGrad. No blood test. No problem.

Yes, I went there a couple of years ago also and there was no blood test.  (There was an actual exam though, with the doc laying me down on my back and poking at my internal organs at one point.)

How can that be if the blood test is a requirement by the Labor Office?

I'm guessing Bumrungrad realized they could charge the same price for the work permit exam as other hospitals and clinics and not incur the cost of the blood test kit.  (And/Or maybe an arrangement was made.)

I think I will ask the officer that does my work permit with a power of attorney to give them a call and ask if I need the blood test.

Edited by ricklev

• 4 weeks later...

June 30th, MedConsult's 180 baht work permit health certificate was accepted by the labor office with no mention of a blood test.

I continue to believe that it is not a requirement for the work permit for workers not from surrounding countries and is mostly, but not entirely, a scam by the hospitals doing work permit exams.  

Of course some employers have bought into it also and not much can be done about that.  

2 minutes ago, ricklev said:

June 30th, MedConsult's 180 baht work permit health certificate was accepted by the labor office with no mention of a blood test.

I continue to believe that it is not a requirement for the work permit for workers not from surrounding countries and is mostly, but not entirely, a scam by the hospitals doing work permit exams.  

Of course some employers have bought into it also and not much can be done about that.  

Not a "hospital scam" -- some employers are requiring it. But you are correct that the wayt the regulation is worded, not necessary.

17 minutes ago, ricklev said:

Oops.  I mean June 29th.  ????

I have had blood test every time. Its such a minor inconvenience, that i prefer to just do it rather than have a potential issue later.  Even the doctors admit having a test for tertiary syphilis is very strange, they dont really understand what, why they specifically have to test for that, but hey ho it is what it is.