Does Thailand ever undertake time and motion studies?

Bangkok Barry

28 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Five different kinds, including foric acid whatever that is.

Folic acid?

Also referred to as vitamin B12. If you only require small doses, consider chomping a multi-vitamin tab which usually contains a cocktail of the usual suspects.

Although doses up to 5 mg daily have been safely used in some research, doses of folic acid greater than 1 mg daily might cause abdominal cramps, diarrhea, rash, sleep disorders, irritability, confusion, nausea, stomach upset, behaviour changes, skin reactions, seizures, gas, excitability, and other side effects. Apart from that, you’re good to go…heh heh.

51 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Five different kinds, including foric acid whatever that is.

Thanks for that, I must have had my silly head on this morning when I read it ????????

I have no idea what Foric acid is either ????

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

I totally disagree with you, i can only comment on my local big C.

Now i find the checkout girls hard working/ helpful, never see them on their phones or chatting with others.

They go out of their way to assist me, checking the items/ filling my LARGE bag, putting it on my scooter, tying the bag so nothing falls out.

Your comment about applying Aussie standards here is ridiculous in my opinion.

I can only relate what I commonly see at the Tops and Big C supermarkets in Chiang Rai. The OP was about whether time and motion studies are ever undertaken in Thailand. The Aldi example was given to illustrate what is possible.

You're entitled to your opinion, that does not mean I have to give it any respect.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

the answer to this is corruption. the more difficult the process and more interaction the more opportunity for corruption.

corruption is the only reason for 90 day reporting. 

It's to create employment in non military  government  service. In a way it's a form of welfare state. The 'corruption' is just a firm of wealth distribution.

When my GF is binging on Netflix. the very laws of entropy don't exist. Aside from the occasional eye movements (or interludes to get more snacks from the fridge), one might think that we have entered an energy black hole where neither physical activity (or any cooking) can occur. Time and motion studies would require motion before any study can take place.

23 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

if  involving another Thai it  will be 20  minutes before being told......................don't  know!

Yeh but they'll know what they had for lunch, hair style, shoe size, if their married, and if it's raining in their locale. init.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So 30 min away. my heart bleads for you.

Is  that because the uneccessary use of a vehicle and its  fossil  fuels pollution etc the waste of paper or some other reason.  Not sure you mean "pleads" but you dont have to plead.

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Haha 1

On 6/4/2021 at 9:08 AM, colinneil said:

Bangkok Barry..... You avin a laugh,????

Time and motion here, ha, ha.

Recently i went in a local d.i.y. place, not a national chain, local.

I wanted 2 kilo of 3inch nails, 3 minutes, lady went off with my 100 baht note, to find the lady cashier, after 10 minutes i just left, better things to do with my time than sit there waitng for 8 baht.

A 10 minute wait for 8 baht?  Why do you think it takes 10 minutes?  They all seem to understand the English words "for you".  Then I or we walk away without a 10 minute useless wait.  Now if it's over 20 baht then my wife chases them down if it's not done quickly while talking away with them in a friendly irrelevant conversation or question.  She is like me, don't want to deal with coinage.

I think I was an efficiency expert in one of my past lives.  It used to drive me nuts every time I went to my bank at Central Festival.  As a foreigner, they have a policy to make a copy of my passport--even though I have been banking with them for 10 years and they all know me.  Like Immigration, lord knows what they do with all those hundreds of passport pages I have signed over the years.  

So, I go to the teller stations at the back of the room to do my banking.  She takes my passport, gets off her seat, squeezes her way past the other tellers, exits the teller station secure area, walks to the front of the room where the large copier is, makes a copy of the passport,  walks back to the teller station area, punches in the code to open the door, and then squeezes her way back to her station and gets settled in again.  Every time I go in this lengthy operation takes place to copy my passport.

Meanwhile, there is a back counter right behind where she and the other tellers sit.  There is even an electric outlet.  Small, inexpensive printers capable of making a copy of a passport page are readily available and one could easily sit on the long counter.  With every foreign customer it would be a simple step to turn around and make the copy right there--instead of the time-consuming trek to the front of the bank.  I mentioned this several times to my Thai partner and he's like, never mind.  

9 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

A 10 minute wait for 8 baht?  Why do you think it takes 10 minutes?  They all seem to understand the English words "for you".  Then I or we walk away without a 10 minute useless wait.  Now if it's over 20 baht then my wife chases them down if it's not done quickly while talking away with them in a friendly irrelevant conversation or question.  She is like me, don't want to deal with coinage.

So you think i should have walked away?

Priceless comment that, best laugh i have had today.????????????????????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

So you think i should have walked away?

Priceless comment that, best laugh i have had today.????????????????????

Over 8 baht that you never received? Now that's a laugh. Try leaving a tip next time, even if it's only 8 baht.

Just now, timkeen08 said:

Over 8 baht that you never received? Now that's a laugh. Try leaving a tip next time, even if it's only 8 baht.

You totally missed the point of my post, how can a paraplegic walk away?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I already understand but it's meaningless and becomes boring over 8 baht which seems to fly over your head while you just have to have the last word.  Pedantic?

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I'm not in a wheelchair yet, but close to it.  I do limp along slowly and painfully.  So as I said, I do understand.  But thanks for the sad reaction emoji.  Life is what it is.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 9:27 AM, Rampant Rabbit said:

The results  would  be  hilarious and 90%  of the workforce would be out of a  job. I  guess the  best places to see real work done would  be the major  car manufacturers.

Often is the  case I see ridiculous amounts of wasted  time.

Inside many of the Factories there are policies on Lean, Kaizan, 5S,  Etc Etc Etc.

All of which are performed to make the processes more efficient, and more profitable.

There are even Black Belt grades of Supervisors in this stuff.

However, step outside the Factories to the Shopping Malls, Builders Merchant, or any other activity that is performed, and the level of efficiency drops through the Floor.

The Classic has to be Home Pro. If the places were run efficiently, the product costs could be reduced by as much as 50 %.

This is one of the main reasons Thailand is becoming less and less competitive over Countries that are adopting modern Technology ( computers ) within their Businesses.

My Engineering Business in the UK was run entirely on a paperless Offices principle, coupled with an Integrated Production Control Software package that required a total staff level of 1 to do everything from Quotations through to Invoicing.

Government offices and immigration - nepotism and corruption.

No way are they going to bring the process into this century. More efficient workflow equals less staff.

Less staff means no job for your daughter or nephew when they finish education and money for the family.

Less higher positions to buy into, the people higher up don’t get their slice and for the people buying their way up the franchise, less attractive jobs - think of that, a job where they have to do work!

I don’t mind this so much, it’s ingrained in society - the thing that does me, any government office, you see all the zombies strolling about, taking one piece from one desk to another, dragging their feet , handing over the paper while the superior signs it and the constant question as they pass others desks, “did you eat yet?” “What you going to eat for lunch?” “Oh, how long is it for lunch?” “I’m hungry” - they hover around the corner of the superiors desk at the back of the room mumbling something that has no connection to the job in hand, there is no way it could be, right? It is just a final check to cover their ass. Then they slouch their way back to the desk.

Blood pressure medicine is sold over-the-counter.

My wife has a standing appointment which we missed this month because we honestly have no desire to hang out with large groups of people.

I can buy her medicine cheaply as well as take her blood pressure with a home BP cuff, and I take her to an uncrowded private lab for blood work.  We're in and out in less than 10 minutes with no crowds of people.
As long as she feels well and her BP and blood work is normal there is no reason to sit in a crowded hospital during a pandemic.

1 minute ago, connda said:

Blood pressure medicine is sold over-the-counter.

My wife has a standing appointment which we missed this month because we honestly have no desire to hang out with large groups of people.

I can buy her medicine cheaply as well as take her blood pressure with a home BP cuff, and I take her to an uncrowded private lab for blood work.  We're in and out in less than 10 minutes with no crowds of people.
As long as she feels well and her BP and blood work is normal there is no reason to sit in a crowded hospital during a pandemic.

Fyi. Our local Amphur hospital is a picture of efficiency.  I've seen them process up to 140 people in a morning.  It's the most efficient medical office I've seen in my life.
Three doctors working on staff also sharing emergency cases, x-ray, lab work, triage, and paperwork shufflers in the front all of whom do a fantastic job. And this transformation began when a young administrator showed up one day and set the place a humming.  
So imho the efficiency of any organization is in direct relationship to the capability of the head administrator. 

On 6/4/2021 at 9:05 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

How does that work when it can be done on-line? I'm curious.

Online is a cluge that works sometimes for some people.  The fact that they are unable or unwilling to build a 21st century database system simply keeps the walk-in and mail business alive and provides and avenue for 2000 THB fines.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 9:14 AM, foreverlomsak said:

Can you not obtain them from your local pharmacy to save queueing up, would also be vastly cheaper, I get Anapril5, for my BP control, 3 months supply (90 tablets) would be about 180 Baht.

End of story..........

in 1960 I started working on the Railways in offices as a messenger boy. One day the Work Study team arrived and just speaking for myself, I was subjected for a week every day being stop-watched for everything, including going to the toilet - he would wait outside. Part of my job was to walk to all parts of the building on four floors and look in both the male and female toilets to replace toilet rolls. In order to facilitate this, we had to engage a girl from the typing pool to accompany me.

All of this meticulously stop-watched down to the second.  As well, I used to carry documents from one railway station to another and I had to walk about 5 kms two directions. My male accompaniment was not amused, as actually I was quite a fast walker.

Was there a happy ending- sure there was.

I never saw him again and nothing changed at the office.

I would love to see "Time and Motion" study in Thailand! Some Thais have no time or motion!