Worst affected provinces given priority for COVID-19 vaccines

webfact

I’ll be going back to the US later this month to visit family and take care of some personal matters. While I’m there I’ll have my choice of facilities within a five mile radius of where I’m staying to be vaccinated with the vaccine of my choice, incurring no out of pocket expense for said vaccination. Something tells me that when I return two months later, many people here in Thailand - Thai and falang alike - will still be dealing with trying to get vaccinated and a bunch of excuses and unanswered questions as to when they’ll be able to receive a vaccine. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

I just got this message from Kaiser Permanente.

Dear XXXXXXX,                                                    

In the past year, you, your family, and our communities have endured many challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Even with increasing numbers of people getting vaccinated, the pandemic is not yet over. I'm writing to encourage you to schedule your COVID-19 vaccine to protect you from serious illness. The vaccines are very safe and effective. Side effects are generally mild to moderate and usually go away after 2 days.

At Kaiser Permanente and other vaccination sites, the vaccine is available at no cost. We want to reassure you that we never share your personal information with outside agencies. We don't ask about immigration status. Getting fully vaccinated helps protect everyone, including individuals with high-risk medical conditions and vulnerable populations from COVID-19, including Latinos/Latinx, Black/African Americans, and others.

If you have questions or concerns about the vaccine, please visit COVID-19 vaccine facts.

You can conveniently schedule your vaccine by visiting COVID-19 vaccine info or calling 866-454-8855.

If you received your vaccine at a location outside of Kaiser Permanente, please go to COVID-19 vaccine questionnaire and complete the brief COVID-19 vaccination questionnaire to update your medical record with this information. You can also provide us with your Covid vaccine dates and type (Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson) so that we can update your medical records for you. If possible, please send a photo of your vaccination card.

As always, we want to encourage preventative health. Please view your health screenings on this link My Health Reminders.

I wish you and your loved ones the very best of health. You can make a difference in helping end the pandemic.

Sincerely, 

Your care team

For those who had no idea, like me, I googled it.

Kaiser Permanente is a consortium of profit and non-profit entities in the US who provide managed care/health services.

4 hours ago, riclag said:

I read on another  site  there will be postponements of thousands previously booked appointments until further notice at one hospital in UD, for elderly and people with medical conditions !

I got 3 weeks until my previously  scheduled  date with the "Maaw".

1. What do you mean with "UD"?

2. What do you mean with "Maaw"?

2 hours ago, apetryxx said:

I, for one, am headed back to the U. S. of A.  where one can get the vaccination of one’s choice  at the corner drugstore. This bungled vaccine situation in the kingdom is not only an embarrassment but borders on being criminal.

You are correct.......you can get it at the corner drugstore. My 13 year old got his 1 minute from our house!

You can bet there'll be a story soon that a gazillion doses were sent to a "White" Province, then they were left out in the sun on the back of a pick-up. 

But it's all a misunderstanding, the spoiled jabs were sold to Nigeria, and the pick-up was transferred to an inactive parking spot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, realfunster said:

Well exactly Moonlover...but some love to take the opportunity to bash the government and they get a few knee-jerk likes as a benefit.

This has been on the cards for a while, I recall reading that several hundred thousand citizens of Loei province, at the "insistence" of the local governor, had eagerly registered for vaccines via Mor Prom. With a whopping 4 cases, I respectfully suggest that they should rightfully be way down pecking order.

Not to mention that many Thai provinces (not only in Isaan) are relatively rural, with lower population density which likely translates to lower transmission risks. 

It would seem totally sensible and practical to push vaccine resources to where they are more urgently needed for both health and economic reasons. 

Looking at Isan as a whole, which I was, then your delusion is shattered.

1 hour ago, realfunster said:

Well exactly Moonlover...but some love to take the opportunity to bash the government and they get a few knee-jerk likes as a benefit.

This has been on the cards for a while, I recall reading that several hundred thousand citizens of Loei province, at the "insistence" of the local governor, had eagerly registered for vaccines via Mor Prom. With a whopping 4 cases, I respectfully suggest that they should rightfully be way down pecking order.

Not to mention that many Thai provinces (not only in Isaan) are relatively rural, with lower population density which likely translates to lower transmission risks. 

It would seem totally sensible and practical to push vaccine resources to where they are more urgently needed for both health and economic reasons. 

And that would be to those groups most at risk from hospitalisation and consequential serious illness. Please catch up with the rest of the worlds scientists and health professionals.

• Like 1

But but but....why do they need to "prioritize" in the first place???
"Doctor" Anutin said that come June 7th there will be <quote> "Plenty of vaccine of any brand for everyone"  <unquote>!
-- Thaivisa Thailand News, Webfact, May 25th 2021

Inquiring minds would like to know "Doctor" Anutin?
If that was true then there would be no need for prioritizing as every province and every hospital and very distribution center would have plenty of vaccine of every brand for everyone.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, connda said:

"Doctor" Anutin said that come June 7th there will be <quote> "Plenty of vaccine of any brand for everyone"  <unquote>!

If that was true then there would be no need for prioritizing as every province and every hospital and very distribution center would have plenty of vaccine of every brand for everyone.

Hummm.  Perhaps a "Doctor" of Scatology methinks?  MDBs.  ????

A post with a link to a foreign language site has been removed. English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed. Short Thai translation of technical terms is permitted in specialty forums.

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Here’s the definition to help with your understanding of what constitutes A Monopoly " A monopoly is a firm who is the sole seller of its product, and where there are no close substitutes. " Now,how many suppliers of vaccines are there. Is it just one ? ???? 

Who is supplying the AZ vaccine.
Is it not just one?

What a perfectly fair scheme. Now the provinces least affected covid-19 will become equally as infected as those most infected. That's what they deserve for judiciously wearing masks, social distancing, avoiding gatherings and closing most social venues. NOT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GregKeo said:

For those who had no idea, like me, I googled it.

Kaiser Permanente is a consortium of profit and non-profit entities in the US who provide managed care/health services.

Lessons from the the US on how to deal with Covid eh! I think I'll give that a miss.

Edited by Moonlover

51 minutes ago, 1duckyboy said:

What a perfectly fair scheme. Now the provinces least affected covid-19 will become equally as infected as those most infected. That's what they deserve for judiciously wearing masks, social distancing, avoiding gatherings and closing most social venues. NOT.

I  agree totally !

In Sakon Nakhon there are signs all around telling you ,you must get tested(500bht) upon entering the province !

They were at one time back in early May requesting every one that flew from Bangkok to self quarantine !

Mitigation standards such as masks wearing appear to be adhered  too! with people.

The only cons imop ,if some how "families" would commit to the other mitigation standards ???? !

I happen to peak in at Constructions sites up here ! Judging from what I see there isn't much concern for mitigation standards !

Edited by riclag

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Looking at Isan as a whole, which I was, then your delusion is shattered.

I am aware that the info graphic for the ‘North East’ that lists 12 provinces with a miniscule combined 27 cases, does not include all of Isaan.

Are there other Isaan provinces with more serious case numbers ?

If so, not to worry as the OP states ‘Provinces worst affected by COVID-19 will be prioritized during the first stages of Thailand’s vaccine distribution“ 

So, your attempt at trying to make this policy announcement some sort of Isaan victimization is ‘delusional’, to use your own turn of phrase. At face value it appears to be a sensible approach to target limited vaccine resources where needed most. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, connda said:

Ahh, yes.  I remember reading that, too, and posting at the time that I wondered how much was 'plenty'.  Turns out, not much.  

6 hours ago, 1duckyboy said:

I think simply living in Nakon Nowhere as well as the natural huge draw of big cities which have been drained of provinces of population.

The rural population are being served because they've all moved to the cities!

I don't know why people are moaning that the provinces are getting nothing. This isn't any different than anything else. The provinces always get nothing except for meth and lao Khao. This is standard model for the world over and is simply far more acute in Thailand.

No population, power, income wealth, education, importance.

I'm struggling to even see the relevance of Pattaya and all the other tourist spots.

All roads lead to Rome

18 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Here’s the definition to help with your understanding of what constitutes A Monopoly " A monopoly is a firm who is the sole seller of its product, and where there are no close substitutes. " Now,how many suppliers of vaccines are there. Is it just one ? ???? 

I will repeat the quote and you can take it up with the author.

"Whatever pledges and promises the G7 make, they are still leaving pharmaceutical corporations to decide who lives and who dies, unless they back the ending of these COVID vaccine monopolies.”

https://reliefweb.int/report/world/more-million-covid-deaths-4-months-g7-leaders-failed-break-vaccine-monopolies

13 hours ago, nchuckle said:

There are many manufacturers of Covid vaccines and many manufacturers in different countries of AZ vaccine under license.

What happened to the delivery of AZ vaccine that was due in February, the EU blocked it and AZ said it would come from India, but then India stopped all exports and 117K doses came from South Korea with no delivery forecast on the balance.

The original Thai approval for AZ was based on EU production.

With AZ having failed miserably on their distribution Thailand had little option but to look elsewhere but that is much easier said than done.

• Like 1

It seems reasonable to assume that my appointment at Hua Hin Hospital for July 7 will be bumped back if they are telling those with June Appointments to come back next month. 
The government is sadly, bungling this whole process to the worst possible degree. 
How can they expect the people to have confidence in their vaccines, if they can’t have any confidence in their promises? The flip flops and retractions are epic.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kynikoi said:

I don't know why people are moaning that the provinces are getting nothing. This isn't any different than anything else. The provinces always get nothing except for meth and lao Khao. This is standard model for the world over and is simply far more acute in Thailand.

No population, power, income wealth, education, importance.

I'm struggling to even see the relevance of Pattaya and all the other tourist spots.

All roads lead to Rome

Rome is burning

according to the leading doctor from thonburi hospitals, true infections are 4x higher.

true numbers of dead are 1.5x higher from those government figures:

"Dr. Boon Vanasin, chairman of Thonburi Healthcare Group PCL told me on Wednesday ... he believes the real number of infected people in Thailand is four times the government figures due to the government’s limited capacities to carry out case finding tests. ... Boon also suspects the real fatalities are 1.5 times higher."

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2021/06/05/opinion-losing-faith-in-thai-govts-timely-inoculation-abilities/

Edited by internationalism
  • Thanks 1