Phuket Needs Clear Details on Country Reopening

snoop1130

A friend just forwarded me this:

After today’s meeting between Thailand’s Prime Minister, Mr. Prayut Chan-o-cha and the Committee (CESA – Center for Economic Situation Administration in Thailand), There have been some updates and modifications regarding the rules for implementing the Phuket Sandbox Model starting from the 1st of JULY 2021. These rules are:

• For tourists who are willing to move to other Provinces in Thailand when Coming under the Sandbox Program, They have to stay a minimum of 14 Nights in a SHA PLUS Hotel in Phuket before moving to any other Province.
  • For the Tourists who are coming just to Phuket without the need of visiting other Provinces in Thailand, they can stay any duration they want in a SHA Plus Hotel under the Phuket Sandbox Rules (no minimum stay required).

... More on: https://royalvacationdmc.com/blog/phuket-sandbox-rules-updates/

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Looks like the much touted sandbox has the usual gouging Bolt-on in the form of now not 7 days and move on its now 14 days in a SHA approved hotel only and guess what the prices are All 28 ASLQ/ASQ Hotels in Phuket (14 Day Packages)  what a clusters this has turned into again????

You are confusing Alternative State Local Quarantine (ASLQ) hotels for hotels that have the Amazing Thailand Safety and Health Plus (SHA Plus) seal of approval.  The Phuket Sandbox will use the latter, not the former.

Here is the current list of SHA Plus approved hotels:  
https://www.thailandsha.com/shalists/index?type=2-โรงแรม ที่พัก และโฮมสเตย์

The Plus refers to the fact that at least 70% of the employees at the SHA approved hotel have been vaccinated with 2 doses of one of the vaccines currently available in Thailand (Sinovac or AstraZeneca).

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, connda said:

It's the "Wing-It" model. 
If successful the government will accept all the credit.
If the excreta hits the spinning blades then the government will blame foreigners. 

Yes, agree. I think I will just stay at home in my little village in Isaan, being a foreigner and all.

I love living here but the ineptitude of the Govt wears you down after a while.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

The Plus refers to the fact that at least 70% of the employees at the SHA approved hotel have been vaccinated with 2 doses of one of the vaccines currently available in Thailand (Sinovac or AstraZeneca).

How the tourists will be able to avoid the contacts with the other 30% non vaccinated staff ?

It doesn't make any sense

Edited by kingofthemountain

3 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

How the tourists will be able to avoid the contacts with the other 30% non vaccinated staff ?

It doesn't make any sense

The non-vaccinated staff will glow when viewed under a black light.

• Haha 1

Truly a cruel joke this whole scenario, get em in and see how much they are willing to pay to get out.

Anyone who needs to holiday on Phuket needs their head examined. 

Worst nightmare ever IMHO

Jet Ski scams have nothing on this <deleted> and that is saying something.

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

I don't know how appealing this will be for tourists. 

But, I think it will be appealing for anyone looking to return to Thailand.  Instead of 14 days in quarantine, people who arrive in Phuket (fully vaccinated) starting on July 1 it appears will need to stay in Phuket at SHA Plus approved hotels for 14 days but they will not be quarantined.  They will be allowed to do whatever is allowed in Phuket anywhere in Phuket as long as they stay overnight at the booked hotel.  Also, unlike ASQ and ASQL there is no built-in cost for services from a hospital in the SHA Plus hotels.  The visitor will be expected to pay for the day 5 covid test (5th day after arriving in Phuket), but there're no medical services fees and meal plans like that built-in with ASQ/ASQL lodging.  So, in theory the costs associated with 14 days of SHA Plus lodging would be less than 14 days of ASQ. 

This is just my understanding of the current proposal that was approved by the subcommittee today.  Very few details have come out.  I guess we are waiting for more details to come out. To be discussed and voted on by the full CCSA committee next week, according to what I understand.

So i assume that 7 day ASQ is off the table for Phuket. Its 14 day SHA+ or nothing ?

Edited by Chelseafan

10 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

So i am assuming that 7 day ASQ is off the table for Phuket. Its 14 day SHA+ or nothing ?

My understanding is that 14 day SHA Plus is the recommendation of the subcommittee that met on Friday.  Whether that is accepted without modification by the full CCSA committee early next week remains to be seen.  ASQ for the Phuket Sandbox is off the table as that implies quarantine.  The requirement to stay at a SHA Plus hotel is not quarantine.  People can go out everyday and do whatever is allowed at that time in Phuket but have to stay overnight at the booked SHA Plus hotel.  Up until the meeting on Friday it was assumed that would be required for 7 days.  At the meeting that period was expanded from 7 to 14 days.

In theory the full CCSA committee could go against the recommendation of the subcommittee and restore the required stay in an SHA Plus hotel to 7 days, but it seems that would require a reversal of sentiment.  Not that we haven't seen reversals of sentiment before, but it's probably not very likely.

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 1

They have blown it.

If we are talking about tourists who are fully-vaccinated, with effective Western vaccines, there was not a credible need for even the 7-day compulsory stay.

A 14-day compulsory stay is a naked cash grab, channeling additional money to favored hotel owners.

Given this tendency to chop n' change at the last minute, no one should risk their money on this nonsense.

If Thailand wants to start building back up to mass tourism, they need to adopt the same policy as the EU and other countries. They need to accept that fully-vaccinated tourists are not a biological threat and should be treated according to pre-pandemic rules.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, nkg said:

Let's guess:

Some great guesses there.

Sadly, all sound entirely plausible if they have decided to go down this crazy path.

Perhaps two factors can reverse this:

1. The sandbox was intended to prove, to the Thai public, that fully-vaccinated tourists were safe. Instead, very low numbers may prove to the government that rescuing their economy requires fewer hoops for tourists to jump through, not more.

2. Open travel (no tests, no quarantines) within the EU for fully-vaccinated citizens with Digital COVID Certificates (DCC) may cause a very obvious, very safe, and very profitable boom for the EU tourism industry. This may give the Thai government the hint they need to correct course.

• Like 1

i was considering the phuket sandbox but this week i booked ASQ in bangkok starting july 8.  more certainty with that plan.  i'm not too stressed about the ASQ, i haven't really been able to spend much money for over a year now so the cost is fine.  i'm usually jet lagged the first week when i get back so it is the second week of lockup that will be challenging.  i've lived in bkk for 10 yrs and just looking to get back 'home'.  i'm a prime candidate for the sandbox and i'm taking a pass.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, skatewash said:

My understanding is that 14 day SHA Plus is the recommendation of the subcommittee that met on Friday.  Whether that is accepted without modification by the full CCSA committee early next week remains to be seen.  ASQ for the Phuket Sandbox is off the table as that implies quarantine.  The requirement to stay at a SHA Plus hotel is not quarantine.  People can go out everyday and do whatever is allowed at that time in Phuket but have to stay overnight at the booked SHA Plus hotel.  Up until the meeting on Friday it was assumed that would be required for 7 days.  At the meeting that period was expanded from 7 to 14 days.

In theory the full CCSA committee could go against the recommendation of the subcommittee and restore the required stay in an SHA Plus hotel to 7 days, but it seems that would require a reversal of sentiment.  Not that we haven't seen reversals of sentiment before, but it's probably not very likely.

Well thats me out then.

I have 30 days holiday of which 15 will now be in phuket, 10 in the UK leaving me 4-5 days with the missus and daughter in Issan... hardly worth it. Just hope another loony plan comes along soon thats a tad more paletable.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the government had not made an official announcement on details concerning the country-reopening model that would start in Phuket.

Of course the government has not given full details. As we have seen many time before the devil is hiding in the details. I ask myself does the devil have a face worth saving? No! as he flip flops way to often

Phuket needs more than clear details. Phuket needs to be ready for all their international travelers. Phuket has got to

have all the rules in English, if there is any restrictions for the tourists. 1. Alcohol is allowed where? Are all the beaches 

open and is alcohol allowed on all of those beaches.  Are the tourists who arrive at Phuket going to feel welcome, and

appreciated for returning to Thailand for their holiday?  Is there going to be other deals for the tourists besides the

one night for a dollar?  Will the Island be restricted for only vaccinated people who are going to travel by land from the

rest of Thailand, so the fully vaccinated tourists do not have any risks from the Thai tourist population?  Lots of things

to be considered.

Geezer

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Tourism-related operators on the resort province of Phuket ask the government for details about its country-reopening plan that was set to start there within only about 20 days, on July 1.

Baby laughing.gif

19 hours ago, sherwood said:

Yes, agree. I think I will just stay at home in my little village in Isaan, being a foreigner and all.

I love living here but the ineptitude of the Govt wears you down after a while.

My reason for going to Phuket is to get to Mahasarakham in Isaan rather than the other way around. I thought it was going to be 7 days rather than 14. May have to think a bit more about this.