TAT proposes attracting a MILLION foreigners - work with no work permit, right to buy land - TEN Year stay

webfact

16 minutes ago, Brian Tripp said:

Will this come true? 

Only if you land in Oz on top of the wicked witch of the west and take her ruby red slippers before your dog Toto gets taken by flying Monkey's. Yet there does seem to be a yellow brick (golden) road somewhere, but it is not here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What about those of us already here.  I've done all the requirements for #3 Retirees.  Where's my 10 year visa and right to buy land.   Not holding my breath--this will go the way of all the other changes proposed.  Nowhere.   

Just assuming, this typical TAT proposal would come true,

what could be some likely “collateral damage” ?

1) Digital Nomads taxed in Thailand (they are working from TH, so that could be interpreted as local earnings)

2) retirees from a country with no or only weak double tax agreements could see their pensions taxed in Thailand

3) the current regulations (800,000 p.a. or 65,000 per month) could be dropped in favour of the new regulation 

This is the first sensible solution that the TAT has proposed. Certainly the third item regarding retirees. Let us hope that it is implemented since  thousands of present retirees would be able to get a 10 year extension. I know that most of my friends would qualify too.  The requirements are very reasonable for genuine retirees.

Edited by gamini
spelling

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Guys we need to stop thinking this is only about westerners.

I strongly suspect this is aimed at the Chinese.

This could attract a lot of wealthy Chinese given they could now own property outright, squirrel cash overseas and not have the inconvenience of yearly visa renewal.

Given they already have their own ermm, cough, clubs and restaurants here, it might be attractive to many of them.

How, as the Chinese can only move so much money out of the country without landing in prison themselves.

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

How, as the Chinese can only move so much money out of the country without landing in prison themselves.

Yes I imagine it would be very tricky for those Chinese business men to achieve that. ???? 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

'Have to show $80,000 in pension income over the last two years or $40,000 per year and have $100,000 in health insurance.'

More evidence they think we are all rich, not many have $40.000 pensions a year, and if they did would probably want to be elsewhere

$3333.33 USD is $40K a year or at todays THB exchange rates is 1,245,200 THB.  Of course the minimum THB required to stay here as a retiree is only around 65k Thb a month or 780k Thb for the year or around $2,088 USD, and yes many can barely afford that if they are on SS from the US, but most of those that meet the requirement also have money in the bank own a home already as well as either a car or motorbike and support a family.  If married the income is less and so with a SS pension from the US many already have that covered as well.  This is a nonstarter for many as well as still having to do 90 day reports.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The proposals given by the Tourism Authority of Thailand during a video conference with Thai premier Prayuth Chan-ocha at Government House yesterday would see four target groups be able to work in Thailand without a work permit, pay just 17% tax on local earnings, buy property and land, and stay for up to TEN years.

So after ten years bye bye and leave it all behind...

how about permanent residency rights?

• Like 1

TAT still haven't embraced the concept of selling. Rather than attract the elite farang (who will depart at the first sign of trouble), set the bar lower and make it worth the while of the ordinary guy who has family and roots in Thailand. A 5 year visa, renewable if they've kept their noses clean and contribute to the economy, dual land-ownership with a Thai national (the wife) and a work permit for 20 hours a week. It's not difficult when you think about it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

A milllion millionaires/high skilled professionals/wealthy pensioners/workers at billion dollar companies.

What are they dreaming of at night?

You quoted what they're dreaming of, problem is when they wake up they still think it's a good idea.