TAT proposes attracting a MILLION foreigners - work with no work permit, right to buy land - TEN Year stay

webfact

3 hours ago, rhomber said:

I came to Thailand on the STV with the hopes to get the Smart Visa when they made the changes to that to enable foreign employment. But now I am here and they scrapped the Smart Visa changes and they have also scrapped the STV, so I am not even sure I will be able to stay the full 9 months. I earn almost $200k, presumably I am exactly the kind of person they want to attract and keep. However, reading the above, it says things like "They must have qualifications of at least a bachelor's degree" - I have no university experience, however I do have over 20 years of actual experience and the title of "VP of Engineering" to match. They also say "They would be nomads in stock trading at companies making at least 50 million dollars per year" - What the heck? You only want people who work in trading companies? I work in an IT company, and how does it even matter how much the company I work for makes if I earn enough?

Meanwhile, I can easily move to Ecuador and actually buy land and live there permanently and feel like it's my home as long as I make $800/mo (Rentista visa). I want to feel like this my home Thailand, I do not feel welcome here and I am worried I will need to leave soon as the STV isn't eligible for COVID extensions. I am 38 so I am not eligible for the retirement visa for another 12 years. I am not going to set 600k baht on fire getting an elite visa either, I think the fact I live here and spend 30000k baht a month on rent, hire a cleaner for 3600 baht a month and pay for groceries and e.t.c. should be enough.

30,000k = 30 million thb = 1 million USD. Are you sure about that? If so, I'm sure they'll make a special immigration category just for you.

You're buying more than a maid and some food & rent methinks.

2 hours ago, pizzachang said:

I think most retirees spend about this much EVERY YEAR right now!  I know I do.

I spend a lot more than that each and every year.  but then again, as we have noticed over the period of the pandemic and fleeing of tourists plus lockdowns, TAT continues to come up with the strangest and most ridiculous IDEAs that we all know just will not pass muster with the current govt and this only lasts for 10 years and by then who knows how many govts will be in power here and change all the better parts of these dream ideas.  If they would begin by wiping out the 90-day reports, then I really wouldn't have a whole to complain about.  Immigration a half hour once a year and drought conditions changing with the climate but utility bills even with very high temps many months are still much cheaper than in the US.  I don't like the "burning" season at all but am now well used to wearing a mask regularly so that I can suffer through too.  I still love it here and guess I always will.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Reading this I believe most digital nomads are self employed, who have their own companies and would not achieve the targets set by the TAT (working for corporations that make at least one billion dollars a year), In Europe also even if you are self employed it is not classed as a reliable income.

• Like 2

Normal countries shouldn't have to change their immigration laws every five minutes (or every year). Thailand always seems to have an urge to change its laws. Any new law that comes out will be subject to further (negative) changes in the days, weeks, months and years ahead. The half life of Thai immigration laws is about 20 seconds, plus it would be activated at the local level and each different locality will interpret the new rules differently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Indeed the land of smiles... everyday something unbelievable

"Dream on dream on teenage Queen"  Don't these people have a brain.  Telling the world that all we want is your money. Sure General how much would you like....DOH!

11 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

30,000k = 30 million thb = 1 million USD. Are you sure about that? If so, I'm sure they'll make a special immigration category just for you.

You're buying more than a maid and some food & rent methinks.

360,000 Thb a year is what he spends on rent, and another 43,200 thb for the cleaner.  So roughly 400k thb before food, and other minor expenses so he is not spending or making near 30 million THB as his income he states he makes is only a little over 6.2 MThb.  But hey he would qualify if he invested here and put money in to Thai bonds. Why jump through these hoops as he said. It is why I have my place here and then in the US.  

3 Retirees aged 50+

These people will have to invest $250,000 in government bonds or real estate. (@#$$%^^&*?????)

Have to show $80,000 in pension income over the last two years or $40,000 per year and have $100,000 in health insurance.

Providing they can show all the required evidence of their long standing pensions they will get ten year visas, can work 20 hours a week with no work permit, pay 17% tax only on local earnings and buy property and land.

I already meet the age and pension requirements why would I buy government bonds or even real estate? 250,000 USD could buy a nice house in of the major cities in Texas.  The income pension alone at the $40,000 could bring in decent number of foreign retirees.   Also,  what where a 50+ foreign retiree work in LOS?  

This plan needs some rework.

3 hours ago, rcuthbert said:

A post-Covid Vietnam would be wise to offer renewable retirement visas...

From some reports I've seen Vietnam is tightening up on the easy renewal of tourist visas now. Back to back with border runs, with back to back tourist visas being stopped, just as Thailand did a couple of years ago.

Last figure I saw quoted for a retirement visa was 200,000 USD in the bank. Some more research is worthwhile I reckon.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Surelynot said:

What would possess a wealthy, group 1 type, to even bother considering any of this????

If I were a dollar millionaire I wouldn't even be here.

Thanks the joke! They think dotcom billionaires want to come live in Thailand

4 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

What happens when the 10 years is up ?

Good point.

With all the increasing uncertainties in Thailand regards residential restrictions, property ownership, the immigration reporting, etc. why on earth would foreigners want to choose Thailand as a permanent home? Go holiday there by all means......

6 minutes ago, ferguston said:

The retirees currently  living here will move further down the queue after the Soi Dogs, Elephants, Jing Joks and now after the " special retirees "

even below infected prisoners who are being vaccinated....so we are the low of the low, in the bottom of the pit it appears.  Things they think of to bring in money without even truly realizing thats what it is all about, but rather believing they have found the perfect plan to rescue Thailand.

• Like 1