TAT proposes attracting a MILLION foreigners - work with no work permit, right to buy land - TEN Year stay

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The target groups are:

1 The wealthy, like millionaires

What they want is obvious 

1. The Wealthy CHINESE Millionaires   Falang  were never even mentioned.

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

$3333.33 USD is $40K a year or at todays THB exchange rates is 1,245,200 THB.  Of course the minimum THB required to stay here as a retiree is only around 65k Thb a month or 780k Thb for the year or around $2,088 USD, and yes many can barely afford that if they are on SS from the US, but most of those that meet the requirement also have money in the bank own a home already as well as either a car or motorbike and support a family.  If married the income is less and so with a SS pension from the US many already have that covered as well.  This is a nonstarter for many as well as still having to do 90 day reports.  

You can capitalize a business for 2 million THB, obtain a work permit, and if relatively successful in building a business then after three years you can apply for permanent residency or go straight for citizenship.
The new schemes really don't fill any void.  It's offering an expensive path to get to the same place.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silencer said:

Could have fooled me that Thailand wants to attract another million expats to come live here. While life is generally good they sure do put up many barriers that could make it so much better.

"It's only words, and words are all I have ..............." (Bee Gees)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

Before anybody rushes into this scheme, they should pause and reflect just how Thailand has treated all the retirees with pensions who are living here during the vaccination programme. If your idea of paradise is to retire somewhere that the authorities regard you as less important than homeless people, and where they're happy to play fast and loose with your health, then yep, Thailand is for you.

TRUTH, and truth be told!!!

29 minutes ago, connda said:

I've noticed that too.  Claims that "I've lived here forever" and a few dozen posts that sound like adverts for Thai ministries marketing campaigns.
I'm working on Page 3 of my "ignore" list adding a few of these accounts that have come out of nowhere recently and immediately became policy-apologists as well as going into attack-mode against legitimate critique.

I've also noticed a bunch of accounts with under 100 posts that drop one-liners that may or may not even make sense.  Those look more like bots. 
Interesting in a strange sort of way.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

And forget the existing business owners in Thailand who have contributed to the economy, paid taxes and provided local employment - they will get sweet f-all.

While they've gotten totally F***ed over during these past 15 months. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

How, as the Chinese can only move so much money out of the country without landing in prison themselves.

Apparently there are ways.  I've sold 5 condos to Chinese buyers.  All cash deals.  At a new condo project I bought at off-plan in Bangkok a few years ago, there was a completely separate sales staff that spoke Chinese to deal with the Chinese buyers--and brochures available just in Chinese.   

I'd like to know why the TAT, would come up with a proposal like this. What's it got to do with tourism? I'd suggest this is well outside their brief.

However, where the TAT hallmark is evident is in the figures. 1 million people to come to Thailand and take advantage of this generous offer? With the criteria they've come up with, 1 thousand might be nearer the mark.

They really are in a world of their own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tingtong said:

Wonder when someone will come up with the idea to set up a Go-Fund-Me for Thailand ?

Don't need to come, just donate us!

target amount 1 trillion, no expiration date.

Already happening, long before the internet and 'Go fund me'... your suggested target amount surpassed decades ago.

Most of you seem to feel that these proposals are funny.

I share with you the notion that they are surreal and in this sense ridiculous.

But I feel they are SCARY as well.

This is an illustration of thoughts from people who might influence the present status quo in the future and touch the very last remains that makes us stay. Don't you as an expat feel a bit stressed if not anxious about that ? Even more so if it might have been done with an imagined sense of goodwill.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

Before anybody rushes into this scheme, they should pause and reflect just how Thailand has treated all the retirees with pensions who are living here during the vaccination programme. If your idea of paradise is to retire somewhere that the authorities regard you as less important than homeless people, and where they're happy to play fast and loose with your health, then yep, Thailand is for you.

The Soi dogs will get the jabs  before the well heeled foreigners.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1