TAT proposes attracting a MILLION foreigners - work with no work permit, right to buy land - TEN Year stay

webfact

Whatever way you turn it no matter what your investment after 10 years you could be stuck with a property that you can't live in .....as for government bonds lmfao I wouldn't trust any Thai government to date with my hard earned cash.

But probably an ideal opportunity for the boiler room boys to return in force.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

How, as the Chinese can only move so much money out of the country without landing in prison themselves.

Never heard about the Chinese "transfer union"?

You bring your money to a local guy in China, merrily journey elsewhere and collect your deposit minus a hefty fee from another guy.

Worked for hundreds of years, Inside China and worldwide.

Edited by hansnl

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Apparently there are ways.  I've sold 5 condos to Chinese buyers.  All cash deals.  At a new condo project I bought at off-plan in Bangkok a few years ago, there was a completely separate sales staff that spoke Chinese to deal with the Chinese buyers--and brochures available just in Chinese.   

Same here in Australia. I own & live  a condo in a large multi building complex that's fairly new  here in Australia on the Gold Coast.  I'd estimate 30% of the owners are Chinese. Much of the signage here is dual language (Chinese & English) and the complex managers assistant is Chinese.  Australia has a new builds only law AFAIK ? (ie foreigners can only buy new builds) On the whole I have to stay I like having them here, as they are quiet and polite.  We seem to have a wide ethnic mix: Europeans, Russians, Chinese etc ????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Is it my imagination?.......there seem to be quite a few new members coming on an immediately launching into battle?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, connda said:

I've noticed that too.  Claims that "I've lived here forever" and a few dozen posts that sound like adverts for Thai ministries marketing campaigns.
I'm working on Page 3 of my "ignore" list adding a few of these accounts that have come out of nowhere recently and immediately became policy-apologists as well as going into attack-mode against legitimate critique.

The junta's own 50-cent army?

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

Before anybody rushes into this scheme, they should pause and reflect just how Thailand has treated all the retirees with pensions who are living here during the vaccination programme.

The vaccination registration programme doesn't even officially start until tomorrow (7th June). That's when foreigners can officially register nationwide. There has been some pre-vaccination in key areas. I can't see why people are complaining. It's happening.  As of today, only 1.6% of the population have been fully vaccinated. Patience please.

One million baht/year and per person? Is that a joke or just crazy stuff again? I make more than 200k a month and hardly spend more than 100k baht/month and rent at 20k. And this is for me, my wife and our daughter.

23 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Who wants to invest in a corrupt military government, or a country with a long history of unstable democracy and coups, and no free speech.

Exactly.

who in their right mind!!!!!

Degree required...what a dated requirement. It shows how backwards these policy makers are. I’m not foolish enough to put $500k into Thai government bonds but I’m the highest earner out of my international friend group of very successful people. However, I never went to college. Looks like I’ll be sticking to Elite after my current visa expires in 16 years. 

Edited by ExpatOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

3 Retirees aged 50+

These people will have to invest $250,000 in government bonds or real estate. (@#$$%^^&*?????)

Have to show $80,000 in pension income over the last two years or $40,000 per year and have $100,000 in health insurance.

Providing they can show all the required evidence of their long standing pensions they will get ten year visas, can work 20 hours a week with no work permit, pay 17% tax only on local earnings and buy property and land.

I already meet the age and pension requirements why would I buy government bonds or even real estate? 250,000 USD could buy a nice house in of the major cities in Texas.  The income pension alone at the $40,000 could bring in decent number of foreign retirees.   Also,  what where a 50+ foreign retiree work in LOS?  

This plan needs some rework.

Theres one you forgot.... that they are not saying they will tax overseas income. 

It's actually not a bad deal, they seem to be copying some of the European countries. Actually bettering Europe for some retirees. i.e property at 250k, achievable minimum income target, only taxed on local income, can work (restricted), supposedly no tax on foreign income (i.e tax free for private pension), 10 years visa.

If this had come any time in the last 10 years I would have gobbled it up. BUT we just know it's going to be overly buerocratic and NOT risk free and TBH Thailand has gone down the hill in a lot of ways in the last 10 years - its a bit of an eyesore in general. Its not for me I am afraid, I will continue to split my time between my home in the UK and here, here just for extended holidays when the weather is good and I don't sweat into my cup of tea.