Digital nomads to be allowed to work in Thailand without needing a work permit

webfact

1 hour ago, Disparate Dan said:

Mate, this is Thailand. Prostitution is 'illegal'. Until last week at least, getting a ride on Grab was 'illegal'. So what?

Anyone that spouts off about them being legal is talking through their rectum, as I'm sure you'll agree.  This at least should put paid to the regular lectures about DNs being legal as opposed to just ignored as they currently are.  I for one will welcome any reduction in the drivel posted here by some.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

These digital nomads are already working illegally in Thailand so this new rule just make them legal but they must pay digital nomad visa fees instead.

You forget the 2 pieces of paper that state earnings and then Masters. Still Persona Non Grata for the major major majority unless they get a Masters online for advanced basket weaving. And even then this might be disqualified as that is reserved for Thai. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

For companies which apply for the scheme, they will need to be listed on the stock exchange of their respective country or have been trading for at least 3 years and have a total income of 50 million US dollars over the past 3 years.

I'm not sure they understand who "digital nomads" are... Most of them are self-employed, and not working for publicly listed companies with 50m+ USD in income...

• Like 2

hahaha, what a joke... i knew it was going to be a useless visa that nobody will apply for

i just keep my EXPENSIVE "MAFIA" ELITE VISA

i am here 18 years and i work online already 18 years when i got married they even asked me what i do for work i said i am a freelancer (nobody cares)... i just keep on doing what i am doing, instead of all the useless hassle that immigration provides, with these useless rules $80,000 a year, always so pathetic, i never met a nomad that earns that.... insane and the school degree ????? really? it is all a joke setup by some brainless person that has no idea about nomads and just make something so he can keep his over paid job again for a year... 17% i never saw that in Thailand... all about money, like always and in the end THEY GET NOTHING... i just keep myself the 17% and my income the way it is, i do not want this nonsense visa with insane requirements, also i do not like Thailand know what work i do, can only work against me... since you can not trust them at all.

proof that i work online lol because i can not even show you my income Thailand iam a DIGITAL NOMAD self employed i do not get a salary slip... oh my god.. and if i get $80,000 year what is 225000 baht a month... i think i will have a swimming pool by now around my house

have a good one Thailand with your pathetic visa, can throw it straight into the garbage or better clean your ass with it hahahahahaha No need for this USELESS visa... they should do some research regarding it before announcing this and make a fool of themself... i am fine with my visa, no tax and no immigration hassle oh my god, brainless figures at work

Edited by nomad73
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

"Proposals". Therefore not even worth talking about yet.

Yes, just floating proposals actually hurt them. I've been delaying transferring money into Thailand to buy some real-estate waiting for a least one of those proposals to become materials. But the price has now changed, so I'm not that interested anymore. They'd better just shut up, and only make an announcement once something concrete comes up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SymS said:

Yes, just floating proposals actually hurt them. I've been delaying transferring money into Thailand to buy some real-estate waiting for a least one of those proposals to become materials. But the price has now changed, so I'm not that interested anymore. They'd better just shut up, and only make an announcement once something concrete comes up.

before that happens there is a new covid in the world ????

This appeared quite interesting until I got to the "conditions" for the Visa and spilt my coffee laughting.  As said before, good on ideas, but greed to make money out of them will ensure there will be an exceptionally low uptake on this scheme.

Just now, robertson468 said:

This appeared quite interesting until I got to the "conditions" for the Visa and spilt my coffee laughting.  As said before, good on ideas, but greed to make money out of them will ensure there will be an exceptionally low uptake on this scheme.

i was not expecting anything better from the people that made this up... lol this was expected.... they did so much stupid things like this already a million times, seems they do not learn from their mistakes... a donkey does not hit himself 3 (?) times on the same stone... government does it daily lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You avoided my question.

Why should someone who is working online in Thailand, does not employ any Thais and does not have a legal entity here not pay taxes yet another person who has set up businesses here, employs Thais and done everything legally for decades have to pay 35% of personal income tax and tax on business earnings as well as jump through hoops to renew visas, work permits etc?

Nothing about "having a different vision" it is simply unfair to allow one group of people carte blanche while demanding everything of others. 

It will no doubt be kyboshed at the proposal level anyway, but I am curious as to how you can justify this over and above the facile "they are young they should be able to do what they want" argument already put forward. 

Easy, because they can get away with it, and there is no way the Thai authorities can determine what they are doing. No need for any visa for Digital Nomads, because it's unenforceable.

Fair? Life isn't fair. Get over it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, treetops said:

At least the news they are trying to legalise it by some means determines it's currently illegal.  If nothing else it'll put an end to all the debates where the wannabees insist they're doing nothing wrong.

Legal or not, if a nomad does not get a REAL option what do they expect, that we stop working.. I always follow the rules of Thailand, but regarding my income.. naah I am fine the way it is and I am sure it will cause problems anyway and they will use it against you... hope they call it the impossible nomad visa  hahaha

Edited by nomad73
  • Sad 1

Many DN would disqualify due to the fact that a vast majority have their own small businesses not near a listed company on a stock exchange with a market cap of $50 million. Next, someone making $40,000 a year is already heavily taxed so adding another 17% is robbery.  Obviously, this is not targeting Digital nomads, and the program is dead on arrival. Besides, nomads aren’t settlers or long term stayers. Hence the name “nomad”, most I know stay for a few months and travel to other countries nearby after they’ve been exhausted with all the immigration mess already in place. 

Edited by racket

1 minute ago, DLock said:

Easy, because they can get away with it, and there is no way the Thai authorities can determine what they are doing. No need for any visa for Digital Nomads, because it's unenforceable.

Fair? Life isn't fair. Get over it.

It's easily enforceable, just stop them staying on tourist visas, education visas and the rest of the schemes they use to cling on here. 

It would be far better to allow digital nomads a working visa based on the tax revenue they produce. 

Digital workers pay taxes on earnings and receive an annual visa with work rights, submitting a tax return annually for proof for renewal.

These birdbrain visa schemes with very narrow criteria show that there's no intelligence or vision in regards to foreign workers, legal or otherwise.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

welcome non-contributing digital bums and a stab in the eye for the established business owners who have to jump through hoops on compliance, paying taxes, VAT, social security and work permits etc. 

Each kind of business has is cons and pros, not every business is the same so digital nomads lucky regarding taxes etc but businesses they have pros too what digital nomads not have

Edited by nomad73

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Most digital nomads I know are either high-school or college dropouts who are self taught coders and system builders. They started out making their own computers, designing games and web pages.  So none of them would qualify even though they make more than the needed income stream.

Read the article again. A degree is not required. 

3 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Quite interesting logic. So...

WITHOUT a master's degree one has to earn at least THB80,000.

But WITH a master's degree one only is required to earn THB40,000.

What if one has TWO master degrees? Is that going to half the income requirement again, to only THB20,000 per month?

It’s Dollars. Not Baht. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nomad73 said:

hahaha, what a joke... i knew it was going to be a useless visa that nobody will apply for

i just keep my EXPENSIVE "MAFIA" ELITE VISA

i am here 18 years and i work online already 18 years when i got married they even asked me what i do for work i said i am a freelancer (nobody cares)... i just keep on doing what i am doing, instead of all the useless hassle that immigration provides, with these useless rules $80,000 a year, always so pathetic, i never met a nomad that earns that.... insane and the school degree ????? really? it is all a joke setup by some brainless person that has no idea about nomads and just make something so he can keep his over paid job again for a year... 17% i never saw that in Thailand... all about money, like always and in the end THEY GET NOTHING... i just keep myself the 17% and my income the way it is, i do not want this nonsense visa with insane requirements, also i do not like Thailand know what work i do, can only work against me... since you can not trust them at all.

proof that i work online lol because i can not even show you my income Thailand iam a DIGITAL NOMAD self employed i do not get a salary slip... oh my god.. and if i get $80,000 year what is 225000 baht a month... i think i will have a swimming pool by now around my house

have a good one Thailand with your pathetic visa, can throw it straight into the garbage or better clean your ass with it hahahahahaha No need for this USELESS visa... they should do some research regarding it before announcing this and make a fool of themself... i am fine with my visa, no tax and no immigration hassle oh my god, brainless figures at work

Ok so it's not for you.  They were not thinking of you.    But it is for me.    Anyone who pays taxes and/or has a Ltd company will find it very easy to prove their income as they will have company accounts and/or tax returns.   

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Most digital nomads I know are either high-school or college dropouts who are self taught coders and system builders. They started out making their own computers, designing games and web pages.  So none of them would qualify even though they make more than the needed income stream.

A short trip down Kao San road on their first day here should sort out the Masters. ????

7 minutes ago, James105 said:

Ok so it's not for you.  They were not thinking of you.    But it is for me.    Anyone who pays taxes and/or has a Ltd company will find it very easy to prove their income as they will have company accounts and/or tax returns.   

I think you missing the point here you have other options you think a backpacker like this visa? You probably go back to your home country.. me for example I live here 18 years and I never go back, they suppose to make a visa for that kind of people 

Edited by nomad73

1 minute ago, nomad73 said:

I think you missing the point here you have other options you think a backpacker like this visa? 

What is your point?  I admit the income requirements will exclude many who would like to have this, but they are not that high.    I can only speak for my own industry but any software developers will have zero problem making the $40K requirement, and a lot will have no problem with the $80K if they do not have a degree.    I am sure if they wanted backpackers to apply then they might have given it a different name and different requirements, such as "backpacker visa" for example, with a minimum income of $1000 per year.   

4 hours ago, James105 said:

Well I am one of those 53 so I would much prefer this than renewing the pricy elite visa that gives me the same rights as any other tourist, so a longer visa that gives me some property rights is quite appealing.    Like anything with visas here though, I have little doubt that the end result of this will be something as complicated and convoluted as the smart visa by the time it comes out the other side - if it even gets there.   

I would assume that you would have to pay income tax in Thailand based on the 80k USD minimum per year. If you calculate that you would probably find that the elite visa is quite a lot better value