Digital nomads to be allowed to work in Thailand without needing a work permit

webfact

14 minutes ago, James105 said:

What is your point?  I admit the income requirements will exclude many who would like to have this, but they are not that high.    I can only speak for my own industry but any software developers will have zero problem making the $40K requirement, and a lot will have no problem with the $80K if they do not have a degree.    I am sure if they wanted backpackers to apply then they might have given it a different name and different requirements, such as "backpacker visa" for example, with a minimum income of $1000 per year.   

Big difference I am seo expert and designer, after my cost I do not make that kind of money, I am doing fine with a normal income around $2700 a Month 

• Like 2

Right OK. So I currently pay income tax in my home country on my pension.

If I get the pension sent directly to Thailand I can avoid that and then pay just 17% if I declare myself a digital nomad and I get a free visa thrown in?

OK where do I sign?

Yep elite visa better less hassle and paper work

17 minutes ago, Dutyfirst said:

I would assume that you would have to pay income tax in Thailand based on the 80k USD minimum per year. If you calculate that you would probably find that the elite visa is quite a lot better value

6 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

All  applicants  must also stand  on  their  head rubbing their tummy and head at the sametime whilst  singing the national anthem......backwards.

Plus photos in triplicate of you sitting at, on and under your laptop.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, khunpa said:

I believe this is only the start and Thailand will become even more foreigner “friendly” in the coming years.

I hope you are right. These "qualifications" fit very few people. They need to expand the rules to attract a few more "average" expat workers.  

I will say only this, as a digital nomad one can and have been working for decades without a work permit, because they work on their computer at home, no one knows, and can not be caught or proven, but problems getting or extending visa.

Now they want to "officially" allow digital nomads to work without work permit providing income comes from overseas? but to make it easier for visa, will grant one providing digital nomad earns $80000? has this and that and more?

Sorry to say, but once again, yet another poorly created plan by someone who clearly does not understand the industry or the kind of money involved.

Very few would be earning the kind of money they want as a digital nomad and even less will show the actual income to avoid being taxed in their home countries.

Last time i checked, data entry does not pay $80 000 neither does SEO or even coding when its contract work

Ah, this week the "proposal" by the TAT fellas comes in bright and early on Monday already.

The digital nomads have either all left and will never return again or have been working (il)legally since they arrived. 

So, me thinks, no need to change anything - specially as the work permit issue is not (yet) under the TAT baton of experts in all trades ???? 

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Most digital nomads I know are either high-school or college dropouts who are self taught coders and system builders. They started out making their own computers, designing games and web pages.  So none of them would qualify even though they make more than the needed income stream.

They probably interviewed all the digital nomads in Nana and found that most of them are former special ops agents with PhDs.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Dutyfirst said:

I would assume that you would have to pay income tax in Thailand based on the 80k USD minimum per year. If you calculate that you would probably find that the elite visa is quite a lot better value

The line in the post says:

"They would be exempt from income tax for income from abroad and personal income tax on income in Thailand would be charged at a flat rate of 17%."

Like most DNs, 100% of my income is from abroad so would not attract the 17% income tax and make it much better value than the elite visa, unless the DN visa was 100,000 baht a year.

5 hours ago, Poet said:

To be fair, it gives all the bitter, low-skilled members here, struggling to remain in Thailand on state pensions, a chance to express how superior they are compared to these young people

where did that come from ?   to be fair ?   hahaha     don't know your age,  but sure seems like you are the one expressing some nonsense from a perceived sense of superiority .

my thinking of being fair comes from a lifetime of experiences.   my experiences .   i did not work in an office ,  and many long time retirees came here at a younger age and somehow have survived,  for better or worse .   I feel fortunate to have lived my way,  but accept that many others had different lives working till a later age...... then made the "change" to Thailand.

The ones that did and now live on their pensions or savings is not a concern to me.  It is only those that then think they are experts on all things Thai..... or life for that matter. 

That can happen at any age.......... as your post shows us

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

40k with a masters, $80k with no masters... 

I'm honestly trying to understand their logic here. Is this a class thing? It makes 0 economic sense. 

I could have gotten a masters in drama, what does that have to do with being a digital nomad/entrepreneur?

6 hours ago, Pottinger said:

Welcome all fifty-three people who qualify under this fantasy scheme.

Yes. the 'fantasy ideas' department at the TAT keeps on churning them out. Digital Nomads, Special Visas, Hi-So Tourists.............the list just keeps on growing. Can't wait for next week's installment of 'Fantasy Island'.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, James105 said:

Well I am one of those 53 so I would much prefer this than renewing the pricy elite visa that gives me the same rights as any other tourist, so a longer visa that gives me some property rights is quite appealing.    Like anything with visas here though, I have little doubt that the end result of this will be something as complicated and convoluted as the smart visa by the time it comes out the other side - if it even gets there.   

As written at this stage, I'm just outside the 53 but you are right, they will make it so convoluted and complicated to comply the program will attract relatively few. 

8 minutes ago, banagan said:

40k with a masters, $80k with no masters... 

I'm honestly trying to understand their logic here. Is this a class thing? It makes 0 economic sense. 

I could have gotten a masters in drama, what does that have to do with being a digital nomad/entrepreneur?

I'm sure there are some stats somewhere that suggest that those with degrees have a higher earning potential than those without.   So they probably don't really want those that earn $40K, but they base it on the probability they have the potential to increase their earnings to $80K vs someone without a degree who potentially may be stuck on $40K.    

59 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

- Also every freakin' year I must extend my work permit, in which the type of work and even the exact place of work is meticulously prescribed. If I work anywhere else or do something else than what is noted in that document, I am committing a crime.

I meet all the preconditions described in the article, save 8% in income tax (or actually much, much more because I hardly earn any income IN Thailand at all; a few thousand baht a year at most). 

Where do you physically work? If you work online from within Thailand that income is income earned in Thailand (locally sourced incomed). Even if it gets paid abroad, etc...

19 minutes ago, Stubby said:

So, what you're saying is that poorly educated, low income earners are riffraff? Most people who have low earning potential tend to be less fortunate rather than lazy and or stupid, don't you think?

But I've come across plenty of educated unemployable a-holes in my time…

Love this ????

1 hour ago, judokrab said:

It’s Dollars. Not Baht. 

You are correct. My mistake. of course it's $.

So that would make it THB206,000 minimum monthly income WITHOUT degree,

and THB103,000 minimum monthly income WITH degree.

Doesn't change anything in the strange logic, though. Unless it's quite common in Thailand that non-degree holders earn double the income of degree holders... which I highly doubt.

25 minutes ago, rumak said:

it always is a laugh to see some highly "highly educated"  and "successful"  foreigners being led around by the nose by a country girl with a 6 grade education

m_-633708774459166161_image015.jpg.png.png

Oh how true, guilty as charged  beam  me up scotty

7 hours ago, webfact said:

To qualify for the ‘digital nomad visa’, applicants will need to have a minimum personal income (salary, investment income, etc.) of at least $80,000 per year for the past 2 years or $40,000 per year with a master’s degree or above/intellectual property ownership or have received Series A funding.

They will also need 5 years working experience and have health insurance $100,000 or more of medical expenses. 

Thailand just ruled out 99% of digital nomads, so many other places to operate from without all this BS

• Like 1