Ivermectin: Yes, No or Maybe

RR2020

8 minutes ago, Harry Om said:

I'm normally based in India. No one there was taking it. I think it was only in Goa where it was recommended, way after the horse had bolted.

The raging second wave of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in India has made one drug nearly a household name: Ivermectin is being prescribed much more liberally than national guidelines suggest.

“I was prescribed Ivermectin both at home as well as when I was admitted to a hospital after I contracted COVID-19 infection during the first wave,” said a working professional based in Odisha, on the condition of anonymity.

Doctors admitted to have prescribed the drug under compulsion, peer pressure or on patient’s demand, resulting in overuse at hospitals. 

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

It’s Doctor Carvallo. He uses a combination of drugs that includes Dexamethasone, which is known to reduce inflammation. So, his research is biased by the inclusion of other drugs.

Why would his research be biased if it works,  it works, e.g. take one aspirin with this and or that, if it works, it works, that is the end point, it's a Dr patient situation, e.g.  Dr, how long have you had these symptoms; Patient xyz days; Dr, take Ivermectin at this dose along with this and that.

9 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Can you take the cheap version for pets, is is that dangerous?

I'm not a Dr, this is not medical advice, etc etc....

But if I run out of my current supply, and I can't get any more, that's probably what I'll do.

In theory, it should be identical, but it depends on the source, and may not go through the same rigorous standards of testing. But if it's okay for your dog to take, it's probably okay for you to take.

But best to get from a pharmacy if possible, IMO. I'm not sure how hard that is to do in Thailand.

3 hours ago, RR2020 said:

And of course.............Emergency Use authorisation (EUA) is only allowed if there is no other treatment, if suddenly the WHO said Ivermectin is ok to use and works, all vaccinations would have to stop as the EUA would be revoked.

That's not the case - vaccines and therapeutics are two totally different classes of drugs and are treated separately.

There are already therapeutics approved for use (remdesivir and dexamethasone, for instance). That doesn't stop vaccinations.

Even if ivermectin were absolutely and definitively proven to be more effective than vaccines (some of which, let's not forget, are 95% effective) it's still primarily a treatment for people who have already got the disease. 

Vaccines are a prophylactic drug that (to a large extent) can stop people getting ill in the first place.

That's always preferable to treating them after they get sick, no matter how good the treatment.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Actually, you can see the "misinformation" here.  As Ivermectin was never on any list.........it cannot be dropped if it was never recommended in the first place.

Actually whats happened is the DGHS has simply said its not WHO approved so dont use it.

Which is a very different headline to it being "dropped".

MONEY MONEY MONEY.............dont let a simple cheap drug get in the way of all the Covid profits.

DGHS drops Ivermectin, Doxycycline from Covid-19 treatment; ICMR rules unchanged - Coronavirus Outbreak News (indiatoday.in)

..............However, there seems to be a split in opinion about the new directives as the Indian Council for Medical Research, the country's leading health agency in the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic, has not yet approved the revised guidelines.....................

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

The problem with Ivermectin is that clinical trials have not demonstrated any effectiveness in regards to Covid-19. 

I think that's a bit too general of a statement. Some studies have not shown any effectiveness, others have indicated a beneficial effect.

Professor Tess Laurie, director of the Evidence-based Medicine Consultancy in Bath, UK who works for both the NHS and the WHO published an interesting pre-print paper just recently.

The paper is a meta-analysis of numerous different studies (including random controlled trials and observational studies) into the use of ivermectin and it finds that if you take all the different studies in total, the evidence that ivermectin has a beneficial effect on CoVid-19 seems to outweigh the evidence that it hasn't.

Here's a link to it.

Meta-analysis of Ivermectin

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The thing is, it's not only laymen, though. Doctors and scientists are also "promoting" it, such as the Front Line Covid Critical Care Alliance (FLCCC) in the US. The FLCCC is a grouping of Critical Care physicians and researchers. 

Now, just because they're doctors and scientists doesn't mean they're right, but it's definitely not only lay people that are advocating for its use.

Exactly. The reason lay people are discussing it is because of Doctors and Scientists. It's not like lay people just woke up in the morning and spontaneously decided to talk about Ivermectin.

• Like 2

If I wasn't vaccinated, I'd be taking IVM.  No downside -based on decades of safe usage- and there's so much conflicting information on whether it's beneficial.

Getting into an argument about its effectiveness is futile for us sitting in the peanut gallery.  It's like betting on a WWF match.  The winner will be whoever they decide it is.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Harry Om said:

Not true. You need to take another look at the literature, there's many recent studies.

The criticism of the studies is that they are small. The reason they're small is because drug companies won't fund a large study.

For example;

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.31.21258081v1

That's not a credible study, not peer reviewed.  And sorry, but if Ivermectin was successful at treating CV19, the big drug companies would be all over it. 

It's been proven to NOT be successful.  Sad some try to push these dodgy drugs.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/why-you-should-not-use-ivermectin-treat-or-prevent-covid-19

Why You Should Not Use Ivermectin to Treat or Prevent COVID-19

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, impulse said:

If I wasn't vaccinated, I'd be taking IVM.  No downside -based on decades of safe usage- and there's so much conflicting information on whether it's beneficial.

Getting into an argument about its effectiveness is futile for us sitting in the peanut gallery.  It's like betting on a WWF match.  The winner will be whoever they decide it is.

The winner is whoever the scientists and medical experts decide is best.  No conspiracy theories here, please.

4 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

That's not a credible study, not peer reviewed.  And sorry, but if Ivermectin was successful at treating CV19, the big drug companies would be all over it. 

Exactly how would they "be all over" a 40 year old drug that they can't monetize?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

Exactly how would they "be all over" a 40 year old drug that they can't monetize?

Terrible conspiracy theory.  If it worked, the WHO and many other organizations would be all over it.  Come on.  Conspiracy theories help no one with regards to this.  It's been debunked.  Admit it.

• Sad 1

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

Terrible conspiracy theory.  If it worked, the WHO and many other organizations would be all over it.  Come on.  Conspiracy theories help no one with regards to this.  It's been debunked.  Admit it.

Why is it that any narrative that doesn't match yours is a conspiracy theory?  Have you considered the possibility that you're the one who's fallen for a conspiracy theory?   Like the one that says the virus popped up out of nature... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1