Ivermectin: Yes, No or Maybe

RR2020

13 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Yep...... that's the sort of self-opinionated arrogance I am talking about..................... never a clue about the middle ground.

Never a clue about the middle ground, you say? You're preaching to the choir. In fact, I myself would be ever so happy if the "middle ground" were given a little bit of space in this world of black and white. It is precisely those who can't allow for any middle ground that I was describing in my post.

Those people I was referring to (such as those who blanket dismiss any remote suggestion that a vaccine alternative should be given a fair shake) are never ok with "middle ground". For them, it is the official narrative to the very T... or the highway.

I'm not arrogant in the least, I have no claim to fame. I'm merely honest with myself and others—a trait which tends to bother some people. As for opinions, I'm sorry if it offends you, but I have a few of them.

One of them is that this world absolutely needs a bit more allowance for middle ground. ????

Edited by jackspade
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2021 at 5:49 AM, DeepSea said:

I posted a link to a totally transparent, real-time meta analysis of 61 studies (which also includes a couple of negative results), which I'm sure you haven't read, would you care to reciprocate by linking us to your list of negative clinical trials?

If you think a non-peer reviewed, anonymous, that is the authors don't actually dare to reveal who they are, (are they plumbers, geographers, experts in data analysis ?) screed on a commercial .com site is "transparent", then you have a rather elastic definition of this term.

They do declare they are "Ph.D scientists, and you can find our work in journals like Science and Nature," but of course it's not really possible to check is it?

I am a Ph.D scientist and you can also find my work in Science and Nature, if you look hard enough.

Edited by partington
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, partington said:

I am a Ph.D scientist and you can also find my work in Science and Nature

Ah, but are you a former Pfizer Chief Science Officer like Dr. Mike Yeadon? Don't Google him whatever you do.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Ah, but are you a former Pfizer Chief Science Officer like Dr. Mike Yeadon? Don't Google him whatever you do.

Good advice, he’s a crackpot that believes in the global depopulation conspiracy theory. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DJBenz said:

The downside is that even at a dose 8.5x the FDA recommended amount, it wasn’t at an effective anti-viral level:

So what do you recommend for someone who's at least 3 months away from getting a vaccine?  Crossing your fingers isn't a plan, BTW.  Neither are amulets.

Half of the studies say it works.  Half say "meh".  I'd go with 50% over doing nothing.  In fact, I'd go with 25% over nothing.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, impulse said:

So what do you recommend for someone who's at least 3 months away from getting a vaccine?

Mask up, socially distance yourself, keep good hygiene and avoid crowded places until you can get jabbed. Prevention is far more effective than cure. I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be to be almost denied a vaccine, but you have my best wishes and hopes that it happens sooner rather than later. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, impulse said:

So what do you recommend for someone who's at least 3 months away from getting a vaccine? 

No one is stopping you from self-medicating.

<Why do so many get hysterical on this point? And call out all sorts straw-men like big pharma, governments, men-in-black preventing them from getting the medicine they think will solve all their problems? Why do so many search out the nether regions of the interwebs to support their beliefs? I'm guessing that, deep down, they have doubts so look for others to reinforce their belief. If you believe then just go buy it.>

However, here in Thailand and AFAIK, if you are admitted to a hospital for COVID, ivermectin will not be used even if you ask for it. (unless there is a study, and I think there is one planned for Thailand somewhere, and you agree to participate in the study).

I think Thailand is a bit desperate for a treatment silver bullet. Favripiravir, their go-to is worthless and expensive and available from Japan (yes, Thailand is looking to steal the IP and make it here). Think they're hoping dexamethasone might "work", so are researching that now, as well as ivermectin.

Yes, I will stipulate that ivermectin is widely available here OTC, and in pet supply stores.

And that ivermectineers are passionate, and desperate for a solution to allay their fear.

It would help here if the ivermectineer can first identify if they are recommending it for a prophylaxes, treatment, both, or parasites.

Proponents seem to conflate these randomly in support of an odd argument point.

• Like 1

*Deleted post edited out*

Why do a few constantly discourage others from getting vaccines, some up to 90% effective at preventing a disease that has killed an estimated 7 plus million, and can cause long term brain fog and other neurological damage in up to 25% of cases including young and people with mild symptoms?

That makes less sense than worrying about a recent bat crossover/created disease. Yesterdays discovery was that SARS-2 can infect your salivary glands.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rabas said:

Why do a few constantly discourage others from getting vaccines, some up to 90% effective at preventing a disease that has killed an estimated 7 plus million

Are those vaccines available in Thailand (to foreigners)?

Just asking, not discouraging you from having one.

Edited by BritManToo

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

If this does not get them moving forward with provincial lockdowns and no travel, I do not know what to say.  I feel bad for those who have traveled to the sandbox for a vacation which could have included travel elsewhere in Thailand, but why travel internationally especially to a country where the cases are continuing to stack up daily as well as deaths and the populace is barely even vaccinated.

My heart goes out to the families of those who have lost a loved one, and this government needs to accept full responsibility instead of passing the buck as they have created the fiasco we are now seeing by their poor attempt at handling this, but then so have other countries, yet we are just now entering the dark days.

For the live of me, why don't they sell this here??? Ivermectin  for humans not animals. And if you find a place that does please let us know.

10 hours ago, rabas said:

Why do a few constantly discourage others from getting vaccines, some up to 90% effective at preventing a disease that has killed an estimated 7 plus million, and can cause long term brain fog and other neurological damage in up to 25% of cases including young and people with mild symptoms?

That makes less sense than worrying about a recent bat crossover/created disease. Yesterdays discovery was that SARS-2 can infect your salivary glands.

How many women who've had their vaccines have then gotten pregnant, taken their pregnancy to full term, and raised their kids to an age where they can confirm no learning disabilities?   I'm not anti-vax, and for me at my age it was an easy decision.  But not one that I would force on anyone of child bearing age.  There just isn't enough data.  And there won't be for years.  But there's 40 years of data that says Ivermectin is safe...  And some studies that say it's effective.  

And I would add...  You can get Ivermectin in Thailand.  Can you get a vaccine?

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, impulse said:

How many women who've had their vaccines have then gotten pregnant, taken their pregnancy to full term, and raised their kids to an age where the can confirm no learning disabilities?   I'm not anti-vax, and for me at my age it was an easy decision.  But not one that I would force on anyone of child bearing age.  There just isn't enough data.  And there won't be for years.  But there's 40 years of data that says Ivermectin is safe...  And some studies that say it's effective.  

If you read carefully, the post I responded to was not about Ivermectin nor was my reply.

If you've read some of my other posts, I have said I'm on the fence with Ivermectin, I even have some, and I would like it to work.  But my cold, hard as steel scientific mind has not seen reasonable proof that it works, at least by itself...   Have you read any of the studies?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm not qualified to understand the studies that I have read, so I settle for analysis of meta studies on IVM and HCQ.  I agree.  It's not 100%.  But if I couldn't get a jab, I'd keep some in the medicine cabinet, especially in Thailand.  If there's a new wave of Covid cases, hospital care may not be an option if all the ICU beds are filled up.  And even if I could get a jab, I hear there's now an Epsilon variant...

And I anxiously await the studies that show the long term effects of the various vaccines on unborn children and their development.  Maybe in 3-4 years.

Perfectly reasonable point of view.

"If there's a new wave of Covid cases, hospital care may not be an option...

That's also why I have some.

Speaking of filling hospitals, I just noticed they are building a new field hospital across from Immigration Chaengwatthana near me. It wasn't there earlier today. image.png.c058442271af63f0930efc0e1164462e.png

50 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm not qualified to understand the studies that I have read, so I settle for analysis of meta studies on IVM and HCQ.  I agree.  It's not 100%.  But if I couldn't get a jab, I'd keep some in the medicine cabinet, especially in Thailand.  If there's a new wave of Covid cases, hospital care may not be an option if all the ICU beds are filled up.  And even if I could get a jab, I hear there's now an Epsilon variant...

And I anxiously await the studies that show the long term effects of the various vaccines on unborn children and their development.  Maybe in 3-4 years.

I think where people get in trouble is by thinking some medication is effective in preventing viral infections.   They generally aren't.  If you catch the flu, the antiviral Tamiflu will cut down on the time you are ill and symptoms, but it won't prevent it.   If you have HIV, antivirals will keep the virus in check, but it will never eliminate it.   

So, if you are at high risk of problems, I'd tend not to rely on Ivermectin.  There are drugs and therapies that are proven to be effective.   

As an aside, I know in my home area, there are a lot of anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers.  A former neighbor, in his early 50's, in reasonably good health was taking HCQ as a preventative (yes, there are Dr.'s who will prescribe it).  He caught Covid and died a miserable death on a by-pass machine.   The only good was that a whole lot of people who knew him put masks on and got vaccinated.   

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 6:59 PM, partington said:

If you think a non-peer reviewed, anonymous, that is the authors don't actually dare to reveal who they are, (are they plumbers, geographers, experts in data analysis ?) screed on a commercial .com site is "transparent", then you have a rather elastic definition of this term.

I don't know if you took the time to actually look at any of this data, but let me give you an example.

If you open the linked document, then search for 'Ahmed (DB RCT)' (listed in the first chart, below the summary in Blue at the start of the document). Mouse over the name and click on the hyperlink, which will take you to this document. The header on this document is described as follows:

Ahmed et al., International Journal of Infectious Diseases, doi:10.1016/j.ijid.2020.11.191 (Peer Reviewed)
A five day course of ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19 may reduce the duration of illness

It cites the name of the publication, a reference number and a brief description of the study, some of which are pre-prints, others are peer reviewed. Below that is a hyperlink to the SOURCE, this is where you will find the names of those responsible for each study and in many cases the name of the medical institution they are affiliated with. From what I can see this source material is available for all of the studies provided, not exactly anonymous as you suggest... They may work as plumbers in their spare time, perhaps you can do a little more research and find out?

Edited by DeepSea

On 7/8/2021 at 4:02 AM, DJBenz said:

Mask up, socially distance yourself, keep good hygiene and avoid crowded places until you can get jabbed. Prevention is far more effective than cure. I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be to be almost denied a vaccine, but you have my best wishes and hopes that it happens sooner rather than later. 

Thoughts and prayers.

On 6/23/2021 at 6:41 PM, xylophone said:

Be careful about this, because I read about a case of a guy who took the ivermectin that was prescribed for his dog, however he was found the next day with a broken neck, apparently as a result of trying to lick his balls!

at my age they hang so low that it would not result in any neck injury at all...

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Clydesdale said:

No breakthrough required. Apparently the long available and relatively cheap Ivermectin is an effective treatment. 

Ivermectin was only recently singled out yesterday by both WHO and CDC as a no go due to high risk of poisoning and lack of sufficient data from those optimistic "research". 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, lks7689 said:

Ivermectin was only recently singled out yesterday by both WHO and CDC as a no go due to high risk of poisoning and lack of sufficient data from those optimistic "research". 

However there are real cases of Ivermectin having been taken and working as a remedy.