Young people getting the vaccine ahead of older vulnerable people in Bangkok

AnnieSeek

I understand the concept of vaccinating key workers - it's a concept many countries have gone with. But there's also a large amount of young people getting vaccinated who aren't key workers - under what remit and HOW are they getting to the front of the line, ahead of an old lady in her 80s. 

• Like 1

I noticed the same in Pattaya, lots of young people in the line and waiting area, But then I noticed many of the young people were accompanying their older relatives. friends etc

They could be key workers, teachers or work in the 'tourism industry' - which is all encompassing.

I know Thais of all ages who have already had the vaccine, some work in 7-Eleven, I know of someone who works in Burger King, another works at a property development in Hua Hin, all have had the vaccine as they considered as workers linked to the tourism industry.

The younger people who have been vaccinated may also have underlying health conditions. 

• Like 1

I was vaccinated in the US.  In the state where I received both vaccinations, they used mass vaccination sites.   The order for vaccination were first people 75 and older.  That included a good number of people, but a very manageable group.  I think this group took about 3 weeks.   It next opened for 65-74.  Group I could still get vaccines, but the 65 and up made up a bigger group.   I believe that vaccine group took about one month.   After that it was opened for those 18 and older (that's all that was approved by the CDC).   When the age group dropped down to 12 and up then it was opened for them.   

Different states had different rules, but where I lived, direct Health care workers (Dr.'s, nurses and those actively working with/in hospital settings were allowed immunization).   Police, paramedics, firefighters and employees of Care facilities, such as nursing homes were included with the 2nd group.   Nobody from a grocery store, restaurant, etc., was considered essential for the purpose of vaccination.   

2nd shots were scheduled when the first shot was given. 

The vaccination appointments were as easy as could be.  I arrived at a drive through site.  The whole process took less than 45 minutes, including the 15 minutes of waiting.  I never set foot out of my car.  They reach through, give you the shot and the vaccination card.   

• Thanks 2

Think the poster who said you need to be tech savy to get registered may be hampering the older generation. 

This morning i am noticing a few few are going to the vax with their eligible parents. Once again, i find that very odd. 

if they don't limit shots to vulnerable age groups people cut in line.

maybe try what the usa did and only allow certain age groups to get shots, then after a time period bring in other groups.

if you just allow everyone it becomes a free for all. pretty sad if that's what's happening, someone needs to get caned. the vulnerable need to be served first.

None of my business. It's government policy so I can't change it anyways.

Older people may have vaccinated already through their doctors or health volunteers it's just not visible on social media.

• Haha 1

Welcome to Amazing Thailand. 
Wealth and status trump the public health of the most vulnerable masses.
"The vulnerable little people say they want vaccines? 
Bah...Let them eat Creat
!"

Edited by connda

4 hours ago, samtam said:

The three male staff all took yesterday off because of side effects of fever, "catching a cold", which I think is normal, and shows the vaccine is working.

Gotta get sick to keep from getting sick. <laughs>  Ok.