COVID-19: Thailand reports 40 more deaths and 2,331 new cases

webfact

Construction workers in Huai Khwang district queue up for COVID-19 tests, as part of the proactive screening at 10 construction worker housing facilities in Bangkok. This is the 2nd series of swab tests, after the district sealed off camps where COVID-19 infections were found.

https://twitter.com/ThaiPBSWorld/status/1404988157699837956

25 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

As I stated in a post a couple of days ago, for which I was rounded on by the usual suspects, there is little to no social distancing or other preventative measures in Chonburi, especially at local wet markets. Silly pvc screens, masks and temperature checks are not going to deter this Indian and new Thai variant from spreading.

Lo and behold, the numbers spike up again.

Predictable. 

On and on it will go for months to come until the economic devastation is totally complete. 

Surely the economic devastation is caused by the lockdowns?  Thankfully, restrictions are now being relaxed and, yes, there will be more spread of Covid, but hopefully it can be managed by the hospitals.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Excel said:

It tells us no such thing. All it indicates is that the numbers released for the previous weeks and months on end will statically remain in the same ball park.  That is all it does. Without real figures rather then these figures put out to satisfy the less astute  it tells us zero, only that government lies and BS numbers may continue ad infinitum. To establish the order of magnitude and true spread of this virus within  the country real testing based on WHO and international standards would have to be carried out throughout the nation with actual results published transparently. Infection and deaths of illegal migrants must also be included in those figures.

Cases from hospital walk-ins tell us something about future numbers. Do you think those walk-in numbers are fake?

More to the point, based on recent numbers, I expect near term infections to range somewhere around 2,500 cases. I don’t expect anything like 5,000 or 10,000, based on the data we have now. If the government numbers were manufactured, hospitals would be jammed, because most symptomatic individuals can get into a hospital sooner or later, if they want to. More real cases = more hospital admissions.

For me to believe the government figures are fake, I would have to see data that doesn’t support the government figures.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

when we have a government were they think high numbers make them look bad (childish approach) they have no interest in testing

I would rather they test test and test so that people can be informed of the spread where they live, right now according to these numbers Pattaya is almost CV19 free - how many of us actually believe that ?, I for one do not 

Ironically, Chonburi province, where Pattaya is located, has a fairly high testing rate.

9 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Cases from hospital walk-ins tell us something about future numbers. Do you think those walk-in numbers are fake?

More to the point, based on recent numbers, I expect near term infections to range somewhere around 2,500 cases. I don’t expect anything like 5,000 or 10,000, based on the data we have now. If the government numbers were manufactured, hospitals would be jammed, because most symptomatic individuals can get into a hospital sooner or later, if they want to. More real cases = more hospital admissions.

For me to believe the government figures are fake, I would have to see data that doesn’t support the government figures.

OK based on your naivety in trusting this governments figures you must also think the moon is made of cheese and the earth is flat. Same  non  acceptance of proven fact.

Edited by Excel
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, cclub75 said:

-vaccinate the targets : old and fragile/sick people

did you just waken out of a long sleep ?

apart from Thailand who feel tourism is more important than protecting this group - isn't this exactly what the sensible approach in the west is doing - also lets not forget that vaccines have only recently become available - before that the only way to stop the spead was through draconion lockdowns - vaccines have now releaved that pressure for now - but not in Thailand as the people running the show are less than useless 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

International Holiday website not too impressed with the Phuket Model

New Development (Self Sabotage?) In The Phuket Sandbox:

It’s highly possible that the authorities are throwing as many roadblocks in the way to deter people from actually making a go in the early weeks / months so they can avoid cancelling the entire project altogether and face another humiliation as their previous 15+ reopening plans didn’t pan out.

Does this sound like a holiday to you? Because to me it resembles more of a procedure to get booked and released from county jail.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/06/12/new-development-self-sabotage-in-the-phuket-sandbox-all-bars-entertainment-venues-on-phuket-island-remain-closed/

Could be worse. I mean they could insist on tracking bracelets to really sabotage the Phuket Sandbox.

That would be funny, but surely they aren't that stupid. Are they?

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

My point is that if there is not mass vaccination or a total lockdown then we will continue to see numbers spiking and clusters popping up.

This means no full opening up, no tourists and further half-measures, none of which are adequate to return things to normal.

There is a bigger problem though and that is there are not enough vaccines, so it looks like half-measures will continue without solving anything. This is the biggest issue and if they had tried in earnest to obtain as many vaccines as possible early on, we would not be in this situation. Instead they wanted the kudos and financial benefit to go to the proprietor and it has totally and utterly backfired. 

I can get a foot massage now at least. But what happens if the masseuse does my thigh (old sports injury) or goes over the 90 minutes allowed by law? Am I more at risk of catching COVID? 

It's a total nonsense and has been handled with almost total incompetence since the turn of the year.

Image if they saved all that money they spent on other covid measures and silly promotion schemes and prioritized spending it on vaccines?Instead they wanted to show how good they were by waiting to make their own vaccines and trough raiding exercises, we can see how that’s worked!

• Like 1

Even more amazing:

TAT launches “Phuket is now open” marketing campaign

With the latest TVC ‘Amazing Moments in Phuket’ featuring Leicester City FA Cup 2021 winners, sending an invitation to the world to visit Thailand’s popular tourist island in the not-too-distant-future.

Bangkok, 16 June, 2021 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), in partnership with the King Power International Group, has launched a new marketing campaign, “Phuket is now open”, under the theme of ‘Amazing Thailand, Now even more Amazing’.

Mr. Tanes Petsuwan, TAT Deputy Governor for Marketing Communications, said, “The campaign forms part of the Royal Thai Government’s efforts to prepare the island ready to welcome back fully vaccinated visitors under the ‘Phuket Sandbox’ model from 1 July, 2021.”

Placing emphasis on sports tourism, the “Phuket is now open” campaign is launched with a TVC ‘Amazing Moments in Phuket’ that features three of Leicester City FA Cup 2021 winners – James Maddison, Harvey Barnes and Kelechi Iheanacho – to convey a message of how Phuket is ready to welcome back international visitors.

https://www.tatnews.org/2021/06/tat-launches-phuket-is-now-open-marketing-campaign/

The government will introduce new regulations for long-stay visitors in Thailand. They will have to be insured for at least 100,000 USD (Around 3 million baht).

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1405004321771573253

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The government will introduce new regulations for long-stay visitors in Thailand. They will have to be insured for at least 100,000 USD (Around 3 million baht).

I thought they were trying to encourage people to stay in Thailand?If they bring this in I will be packing my bags.

9 minutes ago, anchadian said:

If they introduce mandatory insurance for COVID, hopefully they will not require it for those who are fully vaccinated, or at least have very low premiums for those who are fully vaccinated.  The risk level between no or partially vaccinated and fully vaccinated is very different.

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

The published numbers over the last weeks tell us that the epidemic over the short run will continue at the same order of magnitude. Hospitals won’t be swamped, and cases in the province will decline.

The people who say the numbers are fake cannot explain why the Real World supports the published numbers (more or less).

I'm sorry, but when you say "the Real World supports the numbers" who are you referring to?

Are you implying that there are countries out there that have so little to do that they're spend time analyzing the veracity of other country's (outside of perhaps China's) announced case numbers?

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Surely the economic devastation is caused by the lockdowns? 

What lockdowns are those?

I've been on island for few months and back to bkk Monday. Didn't know what to expect. So yesterday went to a private hospital for bloods etc. MRT followed by Airport line. Also walking past street good etc etc

Evening my gf had hair done followed by group drink and food outside Salon 3 doors up from our condo, back home 11pm.

From my balcony the noodle shop in front 7/11 full. No spare seats, evening.

I was interested to see how Bangkok in 'lockdown' would look ...,.this ain't a lockdown. Not even close. Yes schools shut etc.

BTW cluster in my street a week ago.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What lockdowns are those?

I've been on island for few months and back to bkk Monday. Didn't know what to expect. So yesterday went to a private hospital for bloods etc. MRT followed by Airport line. Also walking past street good etc etc

Evening my gf had hair done followed by group drink and food outside Salon 3 doors up from our condo, back home 11pm.

From my balcony the noodle shop in front 7/11 full. No spare seats, evening.

I was interested to see how Bangkok in 'lockdown' would look ...,.this ain't a lockdown. Not even close. Yes schools shut etc.

BTW cluster in my street a week ago.

Yesterday was the first day I saw Bangkok come alive again with certain restrictions lifted.  Last night it was fairly busy, street food carts out in numbers as well as the people.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

when we have a government were they think high numbers make them look bad (childish approach) they have no interest in testing

I would rather they test test and test so that people can be informed of the spread where they live, right now according to these numbers Pattaya is almost CV19 free - how many of us actually believe that ?, I for one do not 

What's required is wide scale antibody testing. Could be that 25% of Pattaya has had it mildly and never knew it

1 hour ago, Excel said:

OK based on your naivety in trusting this governments figures you must also think the moon is made of cheese and the earth is flat. Same  non  acceptance of proven fact.

If hospital ICU's get overwhelmed, that's something that the government can't hide. Maybe if this were North Korea, they might have a shot at it. But it isn't, so they don't.

I would honestly respect people like him so much more if instead of saying things like, "it's perfectly safe as long as you're not above 55, are thin, don't smoke, don't have any immune issues (including gastro diseases), a family history of heart disease, cancer, asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure etc," they just said, "screw everyone at risk, I don't want to be bothered by restrictions"

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I thought they were trying to encourage people to stay in Thailand?If they bring this in I will be packing my bags.

If you read the Tweet you will see it is only for one specific visa type. Richard Burrows has the details.

44 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Placing emphasis on sports tourism, the “Phuket is now open” campaign is launched with a TVC ‘Amazing Moments in Phuket’ that features three of Leicester City FA Cup 2021 winners – James Maddison, Harvey Barnes and Kelechi Iheanacho – to convey a message of how Phuket is ready to welcome back international visitors.

????

Never used to mind them but now I want them pumped in every game they play no matter the opposition.