Jump to content

Can any one recommend a reliable way to do a full backup on my Android mobile phone.


Recommended Posts

My Android mobile phone , running Android 6.0.1 ( cannot update any more ) is generally running very slow . I have tried all the recommended options to get the phone back to its once quick state , but to no avail. So now I want to do a factory reset and see what difference that may make .

 

So I’m looking for the best and most reliable option to do a full backup of the phone before I do a factory reset . Once the factory reset has been completed I then want to reinstall all the previously backed up items to the now factory reset phone .

 

Can any one please recommend a way to achieve the above . 

 

 

Thanks  🙏

Link to post
Share on other sites

Make a note of all your apps and the position(screen print is best), save all docs, videos, photos, music etc to an external USB stick or other memory. Make sure apps such as Line have back up email and phone number. Check telephone contacts saved to Google\other

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used an app called "Super Backup"   you can  save the backup to an SDcard

( check it did save before resting the phone )

do your factory reset then install the app and restore the backup    it still involves a bit of fiddling around  setting up your  gmail and maybe wifi details  to be able to install the app after reset.

 

Another way is  even more fiddly and  much more dangerous and nerve wracking,  backing up and restoring the system and user data partitions  for which the phone first has to be "rooted"    not for the faint hearted 😋

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

If its a Samsung use Samsung cloud and the service will do it for you.

Doesn't Android back-up to a G-Mail account as well.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

I just connect my phone, running Android, to my PC.  Open up the folder containing all the phone files, then copy and paste into a folder on my PC.

 

Do the same have done for years

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You might find that resetting makes no difference to the speed. We are now in Android 10 or 11 and apps are optimised for those. Android 6 is too old for them.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't remember if 6.0 version has the automatic data backup to google feature in the settings. but just copy all your stuff to a folder in your PC would be the easiest. I doubt a factory reset will improve the situation. Most software nowadays do not keep downward compatibility towards that old version of android, if they do, the apps become very slow due to the workarounds to get the functionality in the app to work on the older versions. Such a simple thing as scrolling a list is very different in newer versions of Android compared to older versions.

Edited by AlQaholic
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Never found it necessary to back up my phone and have just installed apps on new phone using their back up. Wifes phone is another kettle of fish and she uses a backup app of which there are many Copy my Data being one.

Edited by chilly07
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

I just connect my phone, running Android, to my PC.  Open up the folder containing all the phone files, then copy and paste into a folder on my PC.

 

Thanks 👍

 

So have I got this right ?

 

I connect my mobile phone to my computer , find where all the original apps and photographs are stored . Then just copy and past those apps and photographs directly into a backup folder I have made on my computer. Then do a factory reset and then from the computers new backup folder I just move the contents back onto my now factory reset mobile phone. And those moved items should then work once more .

 

 

🙏

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

I can't remember if 6.0 version has the automatic data backup to google feature in the settings. but just copy all your stuff to a folder in your PC would be the easiest. I doubt a factory reset will improve the situation. Most software nowadays do not keep downward compatibility towards that old version of android, if they do, the apps become very slow due to the workarounds to get the functionality in the app to work on the older versions. Such a simple thing as scrolling a list is very different in newer versions of Android compared to older versions.

 Thanks , good point 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

How much data will you be transferring?  If you need to backup a lot of data, plugging in to a computer via USB will work, but it can be painfully slow.

 

If you're even just a little bit technical, using something called adb can be much faster.  Specifically, you initiate an adb pull from your computer to pull all the data from the phone to the computer.  (You can also do an adb push to push data from your computer to the phone.)

 

Note that speed also depends on the type of USB connection you have.  If it's 2.0 (very well might be) then that will slow things down.

 

Here's a page that explains it and tells you how to do it.

 

https://www.thecustomdroid.com/adb-push-pull-commands/

 

I had about 20GB of photos/video I needed to back up.  Doing the old drag and drop said it would take several hours.  Doing an adb pull took only minutes (over USB 3).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bill Poster said:

I just move the contents back onto my now factory reset mobile phone. And those moved items should then work once more .

No not quite  the photos/videos will be ok  but not the apps or your phone contacts,sms's etc   unless you use  an app like I suggested before or the Google backup service  which I don't like too much as it harvests everything  as I found out by accident  it was backing up all my photos,videos,emails,sms,contacts etc  continuously  without asking also saving internet search and location/gps data without asking to googles server....yes its "so easy" to restore but those photos/videos

may not have been taken at the local church !!!!   not only the privacy issue but  bandwidth issue  if not set to only backup via WIFi  it could  run up a big bill for mobile data usage.

 

So personally I choose to use the app method.

 

25 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

If you're even just a little bit technical, using something called adb can be much faster.

I had such a headache trying to get ADB working on my pc      it didn't like certain usb cables, wrong ADB versions,incorrect USB drivers,permission denied's  remember to enable debugging mode on the phone  then enable permission for ADB to communicate by tapping on the  pop-up that doesn't always pop-up...yes when it worked it was rather useful. 😋

 

comand promt cd to  adb_1.0.31     cd F:\Backup\true\adb_1.0.31\
adb kill-server& adb start-server& adb devices   ( first time rsa key pops up  must authorise this or it will not work )
adb shell
cat /proc/dumchar_info   no good
so use   busybox ls -QAl --color=never /dev/block/platform/*/by-name
lists all partitions
===================================
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            21 Jul 26 13:46 "boot" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p16"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            21 Jul 26 13:46 "cache" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p18"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            21 Jul 26 13:46 "fbootlogo" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p15"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            21 Jul 26 13:46 "logo" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p14"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            21 Jul 26 13:46 "misc" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p20"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            20 Jul 26 13:46 "miscdata" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p2"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            20 Jul 26 13:46 "prodnv" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p1"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            21 Jul 26 13:46 "recovery" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p19"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            21 Jul 26 13:46 "system" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p17"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            21 Jul 26 13:46 "userdata" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p21"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            20 Jul 26 13:46 "wcnfixnv1" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p7"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            20 Jul 26 13:46 "wcnfixnv2" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p8"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            21 Jul 26 13:46 "wcnmodem" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p13"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            20 Jul 26 13:46 "wcnruntimenv1" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p9"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            21 Jul 26 13:46 "wcnruntimenv2" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p10"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            21 Jul 26 13:46 "wdsp" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p12"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            20 Jul 26 13:46 "wfixnv1" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p3"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            20 Jul 26 13:46 "wfixnv2" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p4"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            21 Jul 26 13:46 "wmodem" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p11"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            20 Jul 26 13:46 "wruntimenv1" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p5"
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            20 Jul 26 13:46 "wruntimenv2" -> "/dev/block/mmcblk0p6"
[email protected]:/ #
=====================================================
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p16 of=/storage/sdcard0/boot.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/storage/sdcard0/cache.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p15 of=/storage/sdcard0/fbootlogo.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p14 of=/storage/sdcard0/logo.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p20 of=/storage/sdcard0/misc.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 of=/storage/sdcard0/miscdata.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/storage/sdcard0/prodnv.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19 of=/storage/sdcard0/recovery.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 of=/storage/sdcard0/system.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21 of=/storage/sdcard0/userdata.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p7 of=/storage/sdcard0/wcnfixnv1.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/storage/sdcard0/wcnfixnv2.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 of=/storage/sdcard0/wcnmodem.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9 of=/storage/sdcard0/wcnruntimenv1.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 of=/storage/sdcard0/wcnruntimenv2.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 of=/storage/sdcard0/wdsp.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 of=/storage/sdcard0/wfixnv1.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 of=/storage/sdcard0/wfixnv2.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p11 of=/storage/sdcard0/wmodem.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 of=/storage/sdcard0/wruntimenv1.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 of=/storage/sdcard0/wruntimenv2.img

===================
to restore tested after accidenly erasing all /system/app  apps doh
cd F:/backup/adb_1.0.31
kill all other adb instances and droidexplorer proces
adb kill-server& adb start-server& adb devices
adb shell
if not root   the do su
mount -o rw,remount /system
dd if=/storage/sdcard0/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17
dd if=/storage/sdcard0/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19    tried a couple of custom recoveries but could not navigate
no touch screen and or  enter button not working poooo
dd if=/storage/sdcard0/recovery-cwm.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19
Yes got clockwork mod 4.0.0.9
scroll down 2 times to enable the power button  that f***ed me up for a while thinking it didnt work
took CWM 4-0-0-9 recovery.zip   img  unpacked it with android  image kitchen  then delete the split_img folder
that was just created and copy  split_img folder from the stock folder then copy default.prop from the stock/ramdisk folder 
to the new ramdisk folder  and then repackimg and flash

======================

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's time to get a new phone. Android 6 is much too old with many security issues and app incompatibilities.  Old phones don't update to newer operating systems for a reason.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, richsilver said:

I think it's time to get a new phone. Android 6 is much too old

Mine is still on 5    runs fine 😋

 

Screenshot_2021-06-17-16-08-18.thumb.jpg.4f8a6a37354f7590554b7825f2f0512a.jpg

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, asiacurious said:

How much data will you be transferring?  If you need to backup a lot of data, plugging in to a computer via USB will work, but it can be painfully slow.

 

If you're even just a little bit technical, using something called adb can be much faster.  Specifically, you initiate an adb pull from your computer to pull all the data from the phone to the computer.  (You can also do an adb push to push data from your computer to the phone.)

 

Note that speed also depends on the type of USB connection you have.  If it's 2.0 (very well might be) then that will slow things down.

 

Here's a page that explains it and tells you how to do it.

 

https://www.thecustomdroid.com/adb-push-pull-commands/

 

I had about 20GB of photos/video I needed to back up.  Doing the old drag and drop said it would take several hours.  Doing an adb pull took only minutes (over USB 3).

Thats great , Thanks 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, richsilver said:

I think it's time to get a new phone. Android 6 is much too old with many security issues and app incompatibilities.  Old phones don't update to newer operating systems for a reason.

 

I would really love to buy a brand new mobile phone , but there’s just not any thing currently for sale from a major manufacture  that comes close to the physical specification of my Motorola Moto Z .

 

Its one of the worlds lightest and thinnest mobile phones, personally I can’t stand to have a heavy , thick and bulky mobile phone in my pocket . So sadly there’s nothing that I can buy to replace my very light weight and ultra thin Motorola Moto Z mobile phone ( unless some one know different 🙂 )

 

Thanks 🙏

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 MP1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bill Poster said:

 

I would really love to buy a brand new mobile phone , but there’s just not any thing currently for sale from a major manufacture  that comes close to the physical specification of my Motorola Moto Z .

 

Its one of the worlds lightest and thinnest mobile phones, personally I can’t stand to have a heavy , thick and bulky mobile phone in my pocket . So sadly there’s nothing that I can buy to replace my very light weight and ultra thin Motorola Moto Z mobile phone ( unless some one know different 🙂 )

 

Thanks 🙏

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MP1.jpg

Decent batteries seem to be around 5,000 these days vs your 2,600

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...