Phuket Sandbox: All tourists to wear location tracking wristbands

webfact

Just now, Lacessit said:

I really am wondering whether there is not a cabal of Thais in the TAT with a twisted sense of humor, who fly these kites just to see how much outrage they can stir up in the expat community.

Err think internet Trolls is a more fitting description don't you ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, toolpush said:

I hope I can get one next time I arrive. Be great fun to put it through various torture tests like in the old Timex Watch commercials.

Non left I ordered 129000 because no one else will want them

1 minute ago, csmith said:

<deleted> ….. my wife heard about this and is asking if she can buy one for me to wear.

you do realise that they updated the description and they are now vibrating suppositories do you ?

2 minutes ago, inThailand said:

Why don't they just use the yellow star of David?

Can't wait until this makes international news. And the standard reply, it's all a misunderstanding, we thought they were all Jewish? 

Omg! 

It is already news on international sites. You will need a VPN.

Before getting TOO twisted up about this story, I would make the observation that this Thai Visa News story is so far uncorroborated, with NO other news sources in Thailand reporting it as far as i can tell after doing my best internet searching... Not the Bangkok Post, not the Phuket News, not Thaiger, and not anybody else that I can find.

The news story notably cites ONLY unnamed "government officials". I think that's a little bit "thin" for a news story this incendiary.

A call to a friend who is a respected long time journalist for a significant Thai newspaper who stays pretty much up to the minute on these matters reveals that he has heard nothing about this from other journalists, government sources, or in editorial meetings.

Maybe Thai Visa News has scooped every other news group in Thailand.... maybe... But I'm going to wait until I see something a little more substantial before I get too worked up about it. If anybody reading has found any confirming reports, especially any with named sources, I would love to see it because if this story is in fact accurate... well... light the torches

Edit to add: FWIW, the only international stories I can find (yes I have a VPN) relating to a tracking bracelet are from Oct and Nov. of 2020 when such devices were approved. As far as I know the only use of them has been for tourists arriving yacht-borne which has been well documented.

Still waiting....

Edited by Mai mee

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

The expected visitors are supposed to come from mainly USA and Europe, as Chinese are more or less out of the question due to their 3-weeks quarantine upon return to their home-country

Well, a lot of Chinese will be moving here permanently, judging by the fact that they are one of the few groups still buying homes here throughout the pandemic.   So a wristband really is nothing more inconvenient than a hand stamp at a club.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

so just now ONLY foreign tourists allowed. 

no one from Thailand can enter. 

of course this had to be. so i am not allowed to go. or thai tourists. 

I did a google search and I would like to know how they have USA in medium yellow >500 can entry and Canada >1000(in the high risk) I just checked and right now the USA has over 12,753 cases on June 16th total cases of 33.5 million, and Canada with 1,049 on June 16th with a total of 1.41 million cases and 1.36 million recovered.

Can somebody explain why the USA has more cases but ranks lower as a risk country.

Edited by dsj
Put comment in wrong area

Just what are the requirements for getting into Vietnam,  Cambodia or Laos right now. Bali? What are the alternatives, anyone know? Malaysia?

Are they even letting anyone in?

• Thanks 1