Honda Car Dealers

Hi, all!

I'd like to buy a Honda compact car but 3 dealers I have spoken to all require, aside from a work permit, bank statement, salary declaration from company, etc., a Thai guarantor to purchase on installment basis. Are there any Honda car dealers in Bangkok that do not require Thai guarantors to purchase on installment? A Ford dealer is offering 0% financing with no guarantors but I am really not too keen on getting their Focus models.

Thanks.

-Raymund

Hi, all!

I'd like to buy a Honda compact car but 3 dealers I have spoken to all require, aside from a work permit, bank statement, salary declaration from company, etc., a Thai guarantor to purchase on installment basis. Are there any Honda car dealers in Bangkok that do not require Thai guarantors to purchase on installment? A Ford dealer is offering 0% financing with no guarantors but I am really not too keen on getting their Focus models.

Thanks.

-Raymund

I bought an Altis from a Toyota dealer a couple of years ago and had to have a Thai guarantor too.

I just bought a new Honda at Rama 4 in Bangkok. An expat will always need a Bangkok resident guarantor (similar in any province - local guarantor needed). This is also true for any Thai whose Tabian Bahn (house registration) is not from the local area. However, a Thai can overcome that with enough down payment. For example, a Thai can avoid the requirement at Rama 4 with at least a 25% down payment, but of course they still have to qualify and there is a lot of due dilligence done (checking on business etc..) Rama 4 uses Siam Commercial.

In the case of an expat, if you want to buy in your own name and finance it, I believe you will need a local guarantor no matter how much down payment you give up to perhaps 50% or more. Not sure.

I have in the past financed a Ford (GE credit). Ford I believe has made special deals with GE to be able to market their cars easier. However, be careful with resale ability. If you're planning to stay long term no problem, but if not sure how long you'll be staying, you should only buy the most popular models of Toyota or Honda.

In the case of an expat, if you want to buy in your own name and finance it, I believe you will need a local guarantor no matter how much down payment you give up to perhaps 50% or more. Not sure.

I'm in negotiations now (Chiangmai) for a Honda Civic and with 40% down do not need a guarantor. But depends on the finance company that you elect. However I do have a work permit and long work history which works in my favour.

Well, I guess I think the best course for me right now would be to find a dealer that would be willing to forego of the guarantor requirement if I put 40% to 50% down.

Thanks for all your replies.

• 3 weeks later...

After talking with several Honda car dealers, I was finally able to purchase a Honda on installment without the need for a Thai guarantor. Aside from putting up a 40% downpayment, the only other requirement that I was asked to provide was a copy of my passport, work permit, salary declaration from the Thai company I work for and a copy of my last 6 months bank statement. After submitting the requirements, the leasing/financing company just made a phone call to our office to verify the information I provided. The following day the car dealer informed me that the my car purchase has been approved and asked me to pick up the car last Saturday.