Artificial Intelligence to Boost State Transparency

snoop1130

คอมพิวเตอร์.jpg

A civil society group in Khonkaen was fighting to get the railway construction that had troubled their community right. But the lack of state transparency just kept getting in their way.

An active citizen Roengchai Sirivichai tried to investigate what was wrong with the construction which caused floods in the community. Very little data and information were available from the government sources. Insead, he had to rely on those gathered from social media shared by other fellow citizens.

“It’s very difficult [to access state information]. When we began the investigation, I did some background checks and found that they gave very little information about the project during the public hearing. We haven’t even seen the construction plans,” Roengchai told Thai PBS.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/artificial-intelligence-to-boost-state-transparency/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-06-17

• Haha 2

And from the full article

“We want to promote public participation in scrutinizing the government sector,” Nattapat Neowkul, one of the developers said.

“One of the most important data sets is government procurement. We found that it is rather difficult to access because the government websites have poor user interfaces and are complex. It is necessary for users to have some background knowledge to find what they are looking for.”

But no mention of how anyone can actually participate   ie: no link to the super duper AI search engine they developed.

Edited by johng

Technology will be the thing that will eventually drag South East Asia kicking and screaming into a democratic corruption-free world.

Of course the singularity will have to occurr first. And wether that destroys us or redeems us is moot, as it is unavoidable short of a global nuclear war.

But Grab was the preview of coming attractions. Grab has been a godsend to Chiang Mai, the red bus and taxi mafias were dealt some sweet AI karma right there.

The paperwork circus at immigration is a laugable attempt to put off AI for as long as humanly possible.

I can renew my overseas passport without having to touch a single sheet of paper.

Just in case you missed that, I Can Renew A Passport - Online.

They can't dont want to get their 90 day "parolee reporting" website to work -with my online renewed passport.

And how the fluke do criminals even get into the country with biometrics -and all the stupid paperwork- in the first place? if it was effective, they at least would have an excuse for it.

• Like 1

Today AI (artificial intelligence)  is nothing more than a marketing term used for any software application displaying even the most rudimentary logic. For 40 or so years AI has been closely linked with the Turing test, measuring a machine’s ability to exhibit intelligent behavior equivalent to or indistinguishable from that of a human.  This not the case anymore, today AI turned into a marketing term.  Exactly the same way as data-marts, data-stores, data-warehouses and later the mysterious cloud (still remember ~10 years ago  in Staples -similar to OfficeMate- I saw a 1GD WD hard disk labelled as Personal Cloud) and before that OLAP, MOLAP, ROLAP hybrid MOLAP etc.  business intelligence, machine learning etc. at some stage all these terms were strictly technical terms and today "Hello World" is machine learned AI.

3 hours ago, johng said:

“We want to promote public participation in scrutinizing the government sector,” Nattapat Neowkul, one of the developers said.

“One of the most important data sets is government procurement. We found that it is rather difficult to access because the government websites have poor user interfaces and are complex. It is necessary for users to have some background knowledge to find what they are looking for.”

You want to (use AI to) improve scrutiny and transparency for government procurement?

The Mekong river will freeze first!

15 hours ago, Excel said:

To install an infrastructure embodying the artificial intelligence systems you first need humans with inborne intelligence to install it. So guess that rules out government employees who can not even get a simplistic registration database to function. Therefore this work should be outsourced.

G.I.G.O springs to mind.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, zoltannyc said:

For 40 or so years AI has been closely linked with the Turing test, measuring a machine’s ability to exhibit intelligent behavior equivalent to or indistinguishable from that of a human

I rather doubt that Alan Turing ever envisioned using a Thai human for the purpose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1