Shaving !

CharlieH

I shave my head as well ,so a lot of area to cover.

My facial hair is very thick and heavy,i have a brother who can shave himself

by standing in the wind.Fluffy,i call him.

If i do not shave for a week it is quite a job to get it all chopped.

If i shave every other day i can still manage.

I use a double system,a thingy like Britmantoo and Gilette for the mopping up.

I need a new Gillette every week,any other stuff just does not work(i have tried a lot.)

I have considered trying a wax job but seeing it on Youtube it looks very pain full.

Then you end up watching a nether region full wax job and i do not think that is for me,only for strong hard people,like women.

• Like 1

Gillette Fusion 5 razorimage.jpeg.40f782601a965300366da9090fe3a6f5.jpeg, have used it for years, I have one in each shower in case the missus is taking a shower in the master bath and I have to shave before showering.  I buy the blades in bulk from the states (Costco) and have my daughter ship them to me.  One cartridge head lasts about 2 weeks, and I shave 3 times a week.  Have a Phillips Agua touch electric razor for when we travel.  As far as shaving cream I use the Gillette fusion pro-glide 2+1 gel for sensitive skin. Yes a little expensive but when i changed brands my face became a red mess, and i felt like a blood donor. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

What works best for you ?

I just dry shave with a basic cheap razor using Gillette or Japanese rasorblades every other day.

I can have a beard in a week on my face, ears and nose. ????

• Like 1

Gatsby foam, which I prefer over Gillette, but Gillette's manual shaver that has battery... Mach 3 Turbo Power or something like that. First time bought it in US and stayed with it since. Had electric ones from Philips (the 3 head thingy) and Braun, but they have their weaknesses, can't say I enjoy any of them although the Braun one is (or rather was, when planes still weren't made of lead) my travel companion as it was small, water washable and did a relatively decent job.

4 hours ago, Excel said:

Well start shaving at 15 but due to my nature and continuing loss of blood I gave up having a wet shave after 1 week and to this very day have never had one since. Around that time my Dad bought himself a Remington electric shaver but I guess as he had always wet shaved he could not get accustomed to it and being a blood donor I guess he wanted to help and gave it to me.

That Remington was the old foil type and I'm guessing but it lasted me about 3 years until one day it was giving more scratches then cutting hair as the foil had split in a few places. Couldn't get a new foil so bought another foil type, a Braun I think. Same thing happened after around 2/3 years so binned that and bought a Philishave and have been using them ever since to this very day. I shave every day as I hate having beard growth, always have done as it not only irritates me I also think it looks scruffy as if you can't be bothered to look after yourself. I know many like that look but I don't , never have never will. The last 20 years have seen these types of razors vastly improved and nowadays a very close shave can be had.

Well, I am very surprised, and I wish I could say the same for myself. I started shaving at about 15 (whilst in a boarding school)using  blades., which I really didn't like. At about 18 I got myself a Remington electric razor, but it didn't give me a good shave. I reverted to razor blades, and although I never really liked them, although they had improved with time, I couldn't get used to electric razors, although I had tried two or three brands. Some five years ago, I decided that I was going to get a new electric razor and to start with I bought a Phillips, which didn't satisfy me. I then bought a Braun 7 which was better, but not perfect. On my last trip back home, some 2 years ago, I got myself a Panasonic, which to start with was quite efficient, but recently I decided that my Braun razor was better. It always took me too long to shave and just few weeks ago, I decided to try shaving with the Gillett (with batteries) old razor with the old Gillette shaving foam. I must admit, it gives me a much better shave. I now alternate between a wet shave and the electric Braun razor, but U must admit I do prefer the wet shave. Unfortunately, I am getting old and my hands are not always that steady, the result being that at times it is safer to use the electric razor. I must admit that I envy the bearded men, but I am too old-fashioned to grow a beard. I would look dirty and not looked after....

Use Gillette Blue 3-blades.  The things last forever. 
Shave in the shower.  Grab any soap that's handy.  Shave by feel. 
Maybe look in the mirror afterwards, maybe not.  I've never been hampered by vanity.
Ditch cologne, never have been a fan.  Whatever the soap smells like is good enough although I'm fond of citrus.

Don't shave for three days, then shave under the chin and neck because it's rough, then after about 5 days I can't stand the feel and shave it all off (I could never be a "Hipster")  Then may go clean shaven for a few days.  Rinse and repeat.

Edited by CALSinCM

I shave each morning, except for Sundays to give my skin (which isn't terribly sensitive) one day to recover per week. I'm using a Gillette 3-blade razor and Gillette foam, unchanged since a very long time and happy with it.

Mug & brush for me. I'm using a ceramic mug that I have had for 40 years. I buy those Williams round bars when I'm in the States. 

My everyday razor is a 5-blade job from Watson's. I was on a Caribbean cruise ten years ago. One freebie was a Schick 5-blade razor. I was hooked immediately. I still have that Schick in my travel kit. I would make it my daily razor, but the blades aren't sold in Thailand, so I use them slowly in my travel kit, and stock up in the US. The Watson's razors are almost as good. 

And I lied about my "everyday razor." Like many of you, I'm every other day. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CharlieH said:

As a spin off from another topic running, whats your shaving routine and what have you found to be the best available or as one company promotes "the best a man can get"?

I dont shave everyday, if I am not going anywhere just at home I may miss a day. I dont like shaving but its neccesary. Been through many phases, basic cheap razors, electric razors I found it just took too long and wasnt close enough.

Now I use a good Gillette 3 blade razor and a decent cream for 99bt, done in minutes.Splash of aftershave all done.

What works best for you ?

I also don't shave everyday. Only on demand.

My routine is to go to a 7/11 and get some blades and a small bottle of foam.

And then I tell my girl of choice to spread her legs and we get the job done. ???? 

• Like 1

Shaved for the first time in about 20 years last night....no particular reason........wish I hadn't...... it revealed what lay hidden for all those years.......sad.......can't wait to grow a beard again.

Edited by Surelynot
  • Haha 2

Just now, canthai55 said:

Gillette Fusion Power and Braun Series 9

Use a badger hair brush I have had since the 70's and - now - Wilkinson Sword cake of shaving soap.

As an aside - hair Conditioner works very well, very slippery.

I have heard of badgers, bald badgers but never a badger hairbrush

5 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Shaved for the first time in about 20 years last night....no particular reason........wish I hadn't...... it revealed what lay hidden for all those years.......sad.......can't wait to grow a beard again.

Not a ladies face surely ????????