Moderna Vaccine at Pattaya Memorial Hospital 4,000 baht deposit for maybe October-- good idea or not?

Jingthing

didn't one of the officials say it's illegal for hospitals to take reservations for a product they don't have yet?

I'm pretty sure this was posted in the news here on ThaiVisa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tgw said:

didn't one of the officials say it's illegal for hospitals to take reservations for a product they don't have yet?

I'm pretty sure this was posted in the news here on ThaiVisa.

Yes, but they're taking the money, so maybe they have a good lawyer!

Note they're not offering a specific booking.

Whatever they are promising is pretty vague. 

That's another point about the decision. Put money down and wait for something that isn't actually a set thing? Hard choices.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

My Son and his small family in the Uk have had thier first jab, they asked when will they have the second jab, they were told 2 months time & not before .because   of some medical reason.

The Thai prime minister had his first jab in March  2021 ( so we were told), he had the second jab  in  May , 2 months later  the same as my son had been told..

I am now wondering why  Thai neighbours had their first jab (Sinovac) and were told their second jab will be in 2 weeks time

1 minute ago, newnative said:

I wonder if you have had the inferior Sinovac now could you then get the better Moderna in October or later?

yes you can. but it probably won't be provided to you for free.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tgw said:

yes you can. but it probably won't be provided to you for free.

I think there's a timing issue with doing mixing. Best to look up details online. This is an area of research but not much definitive yet. 

• Like 1

So people, bottom line, are you going to shell out the 4K baht to Pattaya Memorial in the hope of a future Moderna, or not, and why? You must do this by June 25 if you want to. 

Personally, I'm not sure yet.

Issues --

The promise seems vague.

October is a long way away.

But it wouldn't kill me to throw away 4K baht if Astra Zenica becomes available sooner.

Sinovac would be hard to accept as weak protection on first dose.

I'm leaning on doing this, but curious how others feel. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

So people, bottom line, are you going to shell out the 4K baht to Pattaya Memorial in the hope of a future Moderna, or not, and why? You must do this by June 25 if you want to. 

the time limit is a clear indicator that this isn't a good deal, to put it mildly.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, I get that, but as of today most of us expats here have no other kind of offer, good deal or not. 

okay - obviously I won't take that 4k thing, because for me, the 25th June deadline clearly indicates that this is fishy.

I would almost bet AZ government registrations will reopen on 26th June.

Another possibility is that they won't do anything and sit on the money instead.

Oh wait, it's for Moderna - I misread the thread title

Edited by tgw

1 minute ago, tgw said:

okay - obviously I won't take that 4k thing, because for me, the 25th June deadline clearly indicates that this is fishy.

I would almost bet AZ government registrations will reopen on 26th June.

Well, that would be hilarious, wouldn't it?

But I'm fresh out of the vaccine prediction business here. 

We don't know until we know. 

Another more innocent prediction is that they need to get their orders in by a certain date to ensure October delivery.

Who knows? I certainly don't. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well, that would be hilarious, wouldn't it?

But I'm fresh out of the vaccine prediction business here. 

We don't know until we know. 

Another more innocent prediction is that they need to get their orders in by a certain date to ensure October delivery.

Who knows? I certainly don't. 

By the way, your post doesn't say if this is for one or two injections?

EDIT: okay, I saw the twitter post now

Edited by tgw

20 minutes ago, actonion said:

My Son and his small family in the Uk have had thier first jab, they asked when will they have the second jab, they were told 2 months time & not before .because   of some medical reason.

The Thai prime minister had his first jab in March  2021 ( so we were told), he had the second jab  in  May , 2 months later  the same as my son had been told..

I am now wondering why  Thai neighbours had their first jab (Sinovac) and were told their second jab will be in 2 weeks time

Sinovac has a shorter time frame for the second dose.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So what do people think about this offer from Pattaya Memorial? Are you going to bite, or not, and why?

The Bangkok Hospital up here in Udon Thani is offering Moderna for 7,600 baht for the two shots, however you have to pay up front and no refund if you cancel your appointment.

That said, with the more mutations and news that I am hearing e.g. the Sinovac and AZ aren't good for the new variants, not sure about the others yet, there have been further trials with Novavax stating that their vaccine now covers most of the variants, if I read it correctly, worth a read for those willing to wait.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/06/14/1006094476/novavax-says-its-covid-vaccine-is-extremely-effective-efficacy

• Like 1

Please keep the posts here to be about the Pattaya Memorial Hospital Moderna offer due by June 25 and directly related issues.

There are many Covid 19 topics. Topics don't need to be about everything. 

This is topic is quite SPEICIC.

Thank you. 

The 4,000 baht does not cover the full cost of the two jabs. There are doctor's fees and they reserve the right to change the price. As said, this is overall a VERY VAGUE offer but it's the only most us in Pattaya have at this time.

So are you going to bite or not, and why?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Halfaboy said:

Reservations can be made at the Pattaya Memorial Hospital for Moderna vaccines at 2.000 baht per jab. Not however that this is without doctors fee. No information was given how much this would be.

Absolutely. Beggars aren't choosers. Most of us have NO ACCESS to any vaccines here at any price for the time being. But October if it pans out is quite a long wait. 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So pay the 4000 or not?

I'm going for Sinovac (not by choice) next week and will back it up with Moderna in six months when you don't have to gamble on paying for it months in advance........TIT

• Like 1

I don't think I will do this booking and pay 4k for such an unknown.

4k is not the end of the world to me but out of principle, if they don't want to refund the 4k is not acceptable & sounds pretty lousy to me as they can likely sell the vaccine on to somebody else. They should say: Okay we give you 3k back and keep 25% for our inconvenience caused will be okay to me.

I am sure BKK/Patt hospital have better connections and will likely provide a vaccine faster but only guessing.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I'm going for Sinovac (not by choice) next week and will back it up with Moderna in six months when you don't have to gamble on paying for it months in advance........TIT

There is no way for expats to book anything in Pattaya now. You're deflecting from the point of this topic.

3 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I don't think I will do this booking and pay 4k for such an unknown.

4k is not the end of the world to me but out of principle, if they don't want to refund the 4k is not acceptable & sounds pretty lousy to me as they can likely sell the vaccine on to somebody else. They should say: Okay we give you 3k back and keep 25% for our inconvenience caused will be okay to me.

I am sure BKK/Patt hospital have better connections and will likely provide a vaccine faster but only guessing.

That's all we've got. Guessing. I totally agree this is not the most solid of offerings. But right now it's the only offer in Pattaya.