Reopening bars: People drinking alcohol are difficult to control and risk spreading virus

webfact

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Why can't they open bars (the type you see Soi 4) and Pattaya and many sport bars along with all restaurants and just keep night clubs closed.

Just make hours closed at 11 pm or even 10pm.

Between this wave and previous wave I would sometimes wander into stumble Inn soi 4. Over new year Pattaya same around soi 7/8, it was dead. There are no tourists here. 

Open the bars and keep night clubs shut.

Shout out to Udon bars. Hang in there.

I see Fun Bar was going to open today, that Failed 

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Reopening bars: People drinking alcohol are difficult to control and risk spreading virus

And this will be the excuse going forward ad-infinitum.  "Drinkers bad.  Cause Covid outbreaks."  In the meantime alcohol consumption goes underground.

Keep them shut.  Wipe them out.  Force them to close.
Watch what happens to the economy and tourism both domestic and international after a sufficient number tour "Prohibition Thailand."

Meh, the Conservative elite that run Thailand care not a jot. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, James105 said:

Sure there is.   Open air outdoor bars/restaurants only.  Capacity restricted to 50%.   Nightclubs / non-outdoor bars remain closed for obvious reasons.   Immediate 2 week closure for any bar transgressing the rules.   

I agree, I should have limited what I wrote to indoors pubs and clubs.

8 minutes ago, James105 said:

Errr... the bars have been closed for 2 months and restaurants have not been allowed to sell alcohol.   Exactly how many cases have been attributed to people drinking in the last month or so out of the 3-4000 daily infections?    

Alcohol has a cast iron alibi yet is still the prime suspect in clown world.      

This wave started in the Thong lor bars / nightlife so its the prime suspect.

Even so now we have 3-4000 cases and the amount would only increase if bars are allowed to open. Its only normal as people who drink disregard rules, move closer and talk louder. Then more is consumed and the girls move in from guy to guy perfect way to spread covid. 

Everyone who drinks knows how it goes when someone gets drunk we make stupid choices and in covid time that is not a good thing. So if we open the bars up those 3-4000 cases will probably double until its out of control. 

Thailand is not the only country to close bars and pubs they did the same in the UK, so don't act like its a strange strategy its proven strategy even in alcohol loving UK. If they close pubs over there (and they have) it must work because there must be good reasons to disturb the pub culture there. Nobody would dare to touch it without good cause. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, James105 said:

Sure there is.   Open air outdoor bars/restaurants only.  Capacity restricted to 50%.   Nightclubs / non-outdoor bars remain closed for obvious reasons.   Immediate 2 week closure for any bar transgressing the rules.   

The problem is bars and pubs are to socialize, that means get close to each other ad to that bar ladies that go from client to client and you got a recipe for disaster.  

1 minute ago, Disparate Dan said:

Seems there is nothing that can be done 'safely'. So the wowsers' argument is to keep everything closed down until - when? When this thing slopes off back to Wuhan of its own accord?

Get real. Everything in life has some risk. We (all) can't 'live' like this for ever.

Essential things should just go on non essential like your pub should not. Its simple but hard to understand for those desperate for a drink and  a few bar girls. If your life revolves around it then yea your opinion will differ from the normal people who can step back look at the risks and asses them. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

15 minutes ago, robblok said:
27 minutes ago, James105 said:

The problem is bars and pubs are to socialize, that means get close to each other ad to that bar ladies that go from client to client and you got a recipe for disaster.  

I think it reasonable to open outdoors with social distancing measures in place.

I also think it reasonable to allow restaurants to serve alcohol.

Staff and ‘front line’ workers have been given the go-ahead to get vaccinated at Walk in Vaccination centres (so open that up to restaurant / service staff).

That said, if Thailand can get the majority of the population vaccinated within the next few months then there is not much longer to wait... IF....

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

I think it reasonable to open outdoors with social distancing measures in place.

I also think it reasonable to allow restaurants to serve alcohol.

Staff and ‘front line’ workers have been given the go-ahead to get vaccinated at Walk in Vaccination centres (so open that up to restaurant / service staff).

That said, if Thailand can get the majority of the population vaccinated within the next few months then there is not much longer to wait... IF....

But are bars not meant for socializing. That means people in close contact and bar girls going from guy to guy. Id say its almost impossible to have social distancing in bars especially if people get drunk. Policing it forget about it not going to happen. You know how it goes in Thailand remember the beach chairs drama. 

Some alcohol in a restaurant sure, however you will soon see people eating token foods and drinking. I have no problems with regular restaurants doing this but you will get bars serving peanuts and calling a meal (exaggerating). But i think in general it can be done in restaurants (proper ones).

Vaccinated people can still infect people plus it wakes weeks before the vaccine starts to work. So opening up now is not an option. 

I just don't think its worth it opening bars as the whole thing about bars is socializing with is contra to social distancing. But of course bars and its personnel should be supported by the goverment financially. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, lanng khao said:

He hates the UK ever since he found them union jack underpants under his girlfriend's bed..

How is my post about hating the UK ? Just stating that in a country with a pub alcohol culture there must be a really good reason to close pubs. I mean nobody would do that knowing how the populace reacts ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rott said:

I see so people who like to have a drink in a bar are not normal. OK got that. 

If that is what you got from it then good for you. 

Nothing wrong with drinking in a bar when there is no covid or people are vaccinated. However that is not the case now.

I see something wrong with risking possible exposure and higher infection rate just because some people think the bars are essential while they are not certainly not now during covid.

• Sad 2

Just now, James105 said:

Ignoring bars for a moment, when I am at a restaurant with friends or girlfriend I have never gone from table to table hugging people, nor have girls come over to our table to do the same, even when we are drinking alcohol!!  

People would understand that bars cannot operate as normal right now and sure there should be measures in place, but the rate of infections and the slowness of vaccinations means that if people are paying rent on businesses that cannot make any sales they are going to be in big trouble as this could go on for another 12 months at least.    

It's very easy to say "keep em closed" if you are financially unaffected by covid, not really that bothered about the people that are suffering from having their businesses shuttered and all the unemployment that causes without any compensation from the government here, but it doesn't sit comfortably with me.  

In normal restaurants i don't see the problem of serving alcohol a few glasses or so not until people get drunk then you get the stuff your talking about. Also you don't want fake "restaurants".

I would say that 99% of the people on this forum don't own or work in bars so its just used as an excuse so they can go out and drink.  Its not about the people its about their fun. Anyway i stated already the government should include bars and others to the support they give out. You can't close bars and then not give them any money. I mentioned that in my first post.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

If that is what you got from it then good for you. 

Nothing wrong with drinking in a bar when there is no covid or people are vaccinated. However that is not the case now.

I see something wrong with risking possible exposure and higher infection rate just because some people think the bars are essential while they are not certainly not now during covid.

Nothing wrong with drinking in a bar? So according to you you would have to travel to England as were the only country with a alcohol and bar culture..

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

She said they lose their restraint making bars and pubs hotbeds for the potential spread of the virus.

Only if infected people are allowed to enter, obviously markets are other potential traps and there is next to no hard stipulations to enter, they need to have rigorous temperature checks and as has been noted already restricted hours say 12:00 - 22:00hrs which should cover diners requirements. 

• Like 1