International Schools Article

Hello All,

I will be writing a large article in the Samui Express regarding the availability/quality of international schools located on Koh Samui. While I can go to the schools and get factual data regarding their facilities I would also like to get some feedback from parents of children who attend these schools.

So if anyone has a story or experience or opinion they would like to share with me regarding a school on Samui please PM me. Please do not post that opinion on TV. I am not looking to start a thread bashing/supporting any school. Please respect this request. PM's only.

Robert Greer

Not about schools but While I have your ear. Can you do some ivestigative reporting and find out why 60 % of samui sreet lights don't work or are not switched on. You can link the story to ever increasing monthly road death figures. :o I know , sorry

Not about schools but While I have your ear. Can you do some ivestigative reporting and find out why 60 % of samui sreet lights don't work or are not switched on. You can link the story to ever increasing monthly road death figures. :o I know , sorry

Also on top of that, why are they digging up random spots of road that didnt have pot holes in Lamai, and relaying them again with that absolute rubbish contrete and wiring techique they love to use, and leaving the sections of the roads with massive pot holes the Same???? Again sorry off topic! Maybe Smaui express should strart there own thread of investigations that need reporting on Koh Samui, just like those stupid drains they put everywhere which are now broken and cause a hugh hazard to the roads!

• 2 weeks later...

The intl. schools that I am aware of are:

1. Open Gates

2. Bluewater

3. One off ring road in south Chaweng on same road going to The Jungle Club but do not know the name.

Does anyone know of any other intl. schools that teach foreign children?

Thanks in advance.

RG

I will pass this information/requests on to our Thai staff who have contacts with the local govt.

RG

Hi SE

Im sorry to see, nobody is responding to your question.........as a parent, I would love to read your story about the Intl. Schools, and their level compared with other Intl. Schools around the Country.....hope you have other sources.

However , if your Thai staff have good contacts with the local govt.............I hope you will use that connection more often.....ofcourse the lights and the holes are so dangerous for all on the Island and many deadly accidents happens .

For the tourist (and me) I think the worst thing is the smell in Chaweng.......they really have to do something about it.......look at all peoples faces ........everybody are disqusted.......

If you could run some about the need for fixing such problems ............you can help Samui big time..................ofcours the should make the walking street at the same time ........but thats another issue........

I understand you are not Don Samui........but if you can........please help........ :o

Don't know, but would also be interested to read your article. There is a school in Lamai behind the temple that teaches in both Thai and English - not sure what it's called though. The one on the road up to Jungle Club is called Panya Dee.

It would be nice to know what qualifications the teachers have . It seems to be well know that any farang can get a job teaching English , maybe other subjects ? - I would not want to pay the high fees of an international school for less than Highly ! qualified teachers . What checks are or can be done ?

Are any of these actually accredited international schools?

According to this list from the Council of International Schools, it would appear Samui hasno international schools. Or is this list (which includes non-accredited schools) not up-to-date?

(1) Thailand Chiang Mai American Pacific International School

(2) Thailand Bangkok Ascot International School (formerly Park Place International School)

(3) Thailand Bangkok Bangkok International Preparatory & Secondary School

(4) Thailand Bangkok Bangkok Patana School

(5) Thailand Phuket British International School, Phuket

(6) Thailand Bangkok British School Bangkok Ltd/Topsy Turvy International School

(7) Thailand Bangkok Bromsgrove International School

(8) Thailand Bangkok Charter International School

(9) Thailand Bangkok Concordian International School

(10) Thailand Bangkok Harrow International School

(11) Thailand Bangkok International School Bangkok

(12) Thailand Chonburi International School Eastern Seaboard

(13) Thailand Bangkok KIS International School

(14) Thailand Chiang Mai Lanna International School Thailand

(15) Thailand Bangkok New International School of Thailand

(16) Thailand Bangkok Niva International School

(17) Thailand Chiang Mai Prem Tinsulanonda International School

(18) Thailand Phuket QSI International School of Phuket

(19) Thailand Bangkok Ruamrudee International School

(20) Thailand Bangkok Shrewsbury International School, Bankok

(21) Thailand Bangkok St Andrew's International School Bangkok

(22) Thailand Rayong St Andrew's International School Rayong

(23) Thailand Bangkok St John's International School

(24) Thailand Bangkok St Stephen's International School

(25) Thailand Nakhon Ratchasima St Stephen's International School, Khao Yai

(26) Thailand Bangkok Thai Sikh International School

(27) Thailand Bangkok The Early Learning Centre International School

(28) Thailand Chonburi The Regent's School

(29) Thailand Bangkok Traill International School

I am not sure there are any 'real' International Schools in Koh Samui. I think if there is a registered teacher in Koh Samui they could do quite well by setting up a school as not only the local Ex Pats but also many a tourist would pop their kids into class fro a week or two... I suppose in a year or so they will have one when a teacher comes to retire and gets board in Koh Samui so decides to set up a school.

My girlfriends son goes to the intermational school behind the temple in Lamai Samui centre of learning. I can't compare the school to any other international school as he has only been to this school. But i must say he is nearly five now and been going the for about one and half years and his english is getting good he speaks to his mother in Thai and to me in English. Hes always happy when he goes to school in the morning. They seem to have lots of fun there and they have just made a new extension to the school for the older kids. In my opinion the school is teaching the kids to an international standard. The great things is they are mixing with kids from other cultures also there is a mix race of teachers from different backgrounds. Its not cheap ! But i reckon in Thailand no internationl school is cheap. My only complain is the holidays there seems to be alot of holidays but except from that no complaints and i would highly reccomend !

As far as I understand It there Is a bit of a chicken and egg situation with accreditation.

You can't have a unregistered school, it's illegal.

You can't apply for registration/accreditation if you don't have a school for them to inspect !

It's also quit a long prosses as you would expect with something that important.

Not so much a problem for big companies with deep pockets , Dulwich college ect. Not so easy for small private operators

Edited by Pilchard

Could you give a comparison of facilities offered in the schools on the island - Not forgetting kintergardens .

Having been to school in the UK I think team sports activities are very important - Do the local schools have sports competitions ?

• 1 month later...
It would be nice to know what qualifications the teachers have . It seems to be well know that any farang can get a job teaching English , maybe other subjects ? - I would not want to pay the high fees of an international school for less than Highly ! qualified teachers . What checks are or can be done ?

Open Gates international school has all teacher qualifications on their website. www.opengates-samui.com

According to this list from the Council of International Schools, it would appear Samui hasno international schools. Or is this list (which includes non-accredited schools) not up-to-date?

(1) Thailand Chiang Mai American Pacific International School

(2) Thailand Bangkok Ascot International School (formerly Park Place International School)

(3) Thailand Bangkok Bangkok International Preparatory & Secondary School

(4) Thailand Bangkok Bangkok Patana School

(5) Thailand Phuket British International School, Phuket

(6) Thailand Bangkok British School Bangkok Ltd/Topsy Turvy International School

(7) Thailand Bangkok Bromsgrove International School

(8) Thailand Bangkok Charter International School

(9) Thailand Bangkok Concordian International School

(10) Thailand Bangkok Harrow International School

(11) Thailand Bangkok International School Bangkok

(12) Thailand Chonburi International School Eastern Seaboard

(13) Thailand Bangkok KIS International School

(14) Thailand Chiang Mai Lanna International School Thailand

(15) Thailand Bangkok New International School of Thailand

(16) Thailand Bangkok Niva International School

(17) Thailand Chiang Mai Prem Tinsulanonda International School

(18) Thailand Phuket QSI International School of Phuket

(19) Thailand Bangkok Ruamrudee International School

(20) Thailand Bangkok Shrewsbury International School, Bankok

(21) Thailand Bangkok St Andrew's International School Bangkok

(22) Thailand Rayong St Andrew's International School Rayong

(23) Thailand Bangkok St John's International School

(24) Thailand Bangkok St Stephen's International School

(25) Thailand Nakhon Ratchasima St Stephen's International School, Khao Yai

(26) Thailand Bangkok Thai Sikh International School

(27) Thailand Bangkok The Early Learning Centre International School

(28) Thailand Chonburi The Regent's School

(29) Thailand Bangkok Traill International School

There are no schools on samui which have an International School License. The main reason for this is that no school has the facilities required for this license (i.e. class dimensions, nurses room, large enough are of land etc.). Open Gates have bought land and are building a custom-made school on the Montara project and will be the first school to obtain this license. www.opengates-samui.com

I am not sure there are any 'real' International Schools in Koh Samui. I think if there is a registered teacher in Koh Samui they could do quite well by setting up a school as not only the local Ex Pats but also many a tourist would pop their kids into class fro a week or two... I suppose in a year or so they will have one when a teacher comes to retire and gets board in Koh Samui so decides to set up a school.

This was done 2 years ago and the Open Gates school now has more than 100 students. We are building a new custom made school and we will be the first 'real' international school on Samui. After 2 years of organising and working very hard the school is now of an excellent quality. Check us out

www.opengates-samui.com

not quite off the topic. kids have to get to and from schools. i see kids thrown onto the back of an overloaded truck whilst the driver is battling with bad street signs and lights that don't work and swerving to avoid a motorbike who is trying to avoid the badly place drain systems.

i wanna know how many kids have had accidenets on the way to and from school