US Embassy Failure

lovelg10

"...U.S. faces a “somewhat difficult, agonizing set of trade-offs” with no “quick and satisfying solutions for this.” "

No agony for you, Mr Morrison. You already got your shots. The only agony for you might suffer is if you have some sort of moral compass, conscience or care for fellow Americans. Useless in diplomats of the USA

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

As I've mentioned before, people are firing at the wrong target. Embassies don't make policy.

Your argument is with the US State Department.

True, but embassies are a part of US State Department. I wonder if any info flows up the food chain regarding the non-natives are restless... ?

Heck, I'll argue with anyone. I've already written to Congressmen, State Dept, etc etc

Just now, Emdog said:

True, but embassies are a part of US State Department. I wonder if any info flows up the food chain regarding the non-natives are restless... ?

Heck, I'll argue with anyone. I've already written to Congressmen, State Dept, etc etc

Yes, but they are more like Privates. The orders are given by the Generals........and they aren't embassy employees.

• Like 1

Really not a failure.  Just business as usual.  Actually this could have been a revenue generating scheme for the US Government:  Charge every American $100 to be vaccinated?  

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Like 1

This is the adult version of those kids you occasionally see throwing a fit/sit down protest in the toy section at Central.   Mommy and daddy said no, time to find a more practical solution.   Maybe a kickstarter/GoFundMe campaign or look to the private sector.    

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

Really not a failure.  Just business as usual.  Actually this could have been a revenue generating scheme for the US Government:  Charge every American $100 to be vaccinated?  

I just returned from Guam with a business trip to Dubai afterwards. J&J is available there. You can make a 3 day trip there  and return to quarantine here. A little difficult but solves the problem. Tour groups from Taiwan will be traveling there soon as well.  You can receive the Pfizer or Modera for free as well and stay on Guam and enjoy yourself or work, + 3hours time zone from Bangkok. Otherwise, unfortunately, one must wait for the Thai government and its medical establishment to provide the vaccine. 

• Like 2

I just returned from Guam via a business trip to Dubai afterwards. J&J is available there. You can make a 3 day trip there  and return to quarantine here. A little difficult but solves the problem. Tour groups from Taiwan will be traveling there soon as well.  You can receive the Pfizer or Modera for free  and stay on Guam and enjoy yourself or work, + 3hours time zone from Bangkok. Otherwise, unfortunately, one must wait for the Thai government and its medical establishment to provide the vaccine. 

15 hours ago, Heng said:

This is the adult version of those kids you occasionally see throwing a fit/sit down protest in the toy section at Central.   Mommy and daddy said no, time to find a more practical solution.   Maybe a kickstarter/GoFundMe campaign or look to the private sector.    

This response is akin to those whose response to barking dogs is to throw hot water on them...satisfying only to the narcissistic reprobates who see their beliefs as the only approach. 

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Biffski said:

I just returned from Guam via a business trip to Dubai afterwards. J&J is available there. You can make a 3 day trip there  and return to quarantine here. A little difficult but solves the problem. Tour groups from Taiwan will be traveling there soon as well.  You can receive the Pfizer or Modera for free  and stay on Guam and enjoy yourself or work, + 3hours time zone from Bangkok. Otherwise, unfortunately, one must wait for the Thai government and its medical establishment to provide the vaccine. 

Why Guam? It looks like it's cheaper to fly to LAX and back??

4 hours ago, lovelg10 said:

This response is akin to those whose response to barking dogs is to throw hot water on them...satisfying only to the narcissistic reprobates who see their beliefs as the only approach. 

Hardly.  Barking dogs are a much more pressing 'concern' for the community as a whole.   Why are they barking?  How are they feeling?       

4 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

There is much less person to person risk in Guam for one thing.   At present, it's a choice better suited to Americans (especially Asian dual citizens) in Taiwan, Japan, and South Korea for whom it's a quick direct flight.   The whole vaccination trip can be a 3 day errand.

But yes, cost wise, flying anywhere west coast is going to be more economical than Guam.  

Edited by Heng
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 7:08 AM, JohnOFphon said:

Much shorter flight time.  Far easier for work if working on Bangkok on China time and little jet lag at +3 hours from Bangkok. 

6 minutes ago, Biffski said:

Much shorter flight time.  Far easier for work if working on Bangkok on China time and little jet lag at +3 hours from Bangkok. 

The shortest connections are around 11-12 hours but yeah, much greater time savings compared to mainland or HNL flights.  

On 6/26/2021 at 4:57 PM, Heng said:

The shortest connections are around 11-12 hours but yeah, much greater time savings compared to mainland or HNL flights.  

I flew on ANA on the 7:00AM to Tokyo, waited an hour and a half and then flew UAL to Guam. It would have been easer and cheaper if Manilla was open for transfers. Otherwise, can fly ZipAir, the new low cost carrier from Air Japan, for $180.00 USD to Tokyo and then wait for the UAL flight. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Biffski said:

I flew on ANA on the 7:00AM to Tokyo, waited an hour and a half and then flew UAL to Guam. It would have been easer and cheaper if Manilla was open for transfers. Otherwise, can fly ZipAir, the new low cost carrier from Air Japan, for $180.00 USD to Tokyo and then wait for the UAL flight. 

That sounds like the flight I was looking at, 11.5 hours all in.   Same terminal connection @ NRT?

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

Are you saying J&J is available in Guam or in Dubai? 

Dubai I don't know, but Abu Dhabi does. Not too long flight time to get there with Etihad. It's much more practical than Guam (provided Thailand doesn't get blacklisted)

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/abu-dhabi-opens-up-free-covid-19-vaccines-tourists-2021-06-22/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biffski said:

Yes, exactly. Did you go to LA?

Not yet, just in the planning stage.  Riding the fence whether to go and get my kids vaccinated, as my wife and I have already had the 1st AZ dose locally.     

20 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Are you saying J&J is available in Guam or in Dubai? 

J&J, Pfizer and Moderna is available for both US citizens and now foreigners with US visas or US free entry in Guam under the Air V & V program. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Heng said:

Not yet, just in the planning stage.  Riding the fence whether to go and get my kids vaccinated, as my wife and I have already had the 1st AZ dose locally.     

Understood. Quite a long trip. Guam is easier on the body and easier to work and stay on APAC hours. Zipair flights from Bangkok to Tokyo can drop the price of the  flights quite a bit. 

On 6/29/2021 at 5:00 PM, Biffski said:

Understood. Quite a long trip. Guam is easier on the body and easier to work and stay on APAC hours. Zipair flights from Bangkok to Tokyo can drop the price of the  flights quite a bit. 

Don't you have a week quarantine going into Guam and then 2 weeks coming back into Thailand?

16 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

Don't you have a week quarantine going into Guam and then 2 weeks coming back into Thailand?

Guam quarantine will drop starting July 04 if passenger has a negative test result.  I did 2 week Guam paid quarantine in April before 1st Pfizer vaccination.  Can get vaccinated day of arrival now. Thailand quarantine still remains.

6 hours ago, Biffski said:

Guam quarantine will drop starting July 04 if passenger has a negative test result.  I did 2 week Guam paid quarantine in April before 1st Pfizer vaccination.  Can get vaccinated day of arrival now. Thailand quarantine still remains.

Thanks, actually on Samui right now for short vacation and found out Samui has an excess of AZ vaccine.  Going in tomorrow to the hospital to see if I can get one.  Will post results of my effort.