Thailand approves Pfizer-Biontech vaccine for emergency use

snoop1130

2 hours ago, DonaldBattles said:

I seriously doubt that they have even made a deposit let alone paid for the entire order. This is more eye wash for the public.  Many people have told me that they will not take the vaccine made in Thailand or China and want to wait for the US shipment.

Have paid for and waiting for the Moderna shot in October through Bangkok Hospital, for me, better than the AZ or Sinovac jab, but then again a lot of expats have had either and are fine.

Matter of a personal choice for me.

A note to the goons who approved this "for emergency use only". Your entire nation is in a state of emergency. The curve is nowhere near being flattened. You will not be able to attract tourists to a nation where they are at greater risk by visiting, than by staying at home, while asking them to jump over silly hoops and submit to arrogant restrictions, inspired by the opposite of science. 

The entire nation here needs the quality vaccines. So, what do you shleps do? You make the lowest quality, least effective vaccines widely available, while restricting the best ones. Typical. And why? To save a few bucks. 

13 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

I see it says 20 million doses here. In another thread it mentions 30 million. 

I guess it’s not much difference?

Why don't we read between the lines, take into account past pledges and performances and round this number down to a nice big fat 0.

14 hours ago, Thailand said:

But we haven't got any of that either.

lot western world is nearly back to normal ,to little to late  ,in france.  thai wife ,thai daughter  and myself  have had our injections  ,they  dont ask where do you come from ,i am not french  pleased i am not in thailand for once. ,  

13 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Not enough and not soon enough. Read this and compare.  UK is going to use this jab a 3rd booster shot this autumn (northern hemisphere). 60 million more doses. If 3 shots are needed it will be the end of next year at this rate for Thailand. These grandiose statements bear no weight with me as time and again they are proved to be just grandstanding nonsence. 

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1116

How true! Our village headman announced on the tannoy last week that covid had reached our market town 17 km away and it was necessary that we should get vaccinated....where? how? we've been registered on the app since it was possible but still no word from the hospital, it's all BS.

• Like 1

Why does the govt not seem to recognize the time bomb we are sitting on. The delta version is so much more transmissible. According to latest reports from Sydney Australia a 1 second contact is all it takes with this variant. Australia has very strict country entry and exit rules, the latest outbreak apparently caused by an airport transfer driver ferrying an aircrew then passing on the delta version. And here they are proposing to open up to tourists at a time when few here a vaccinated and those that are, with a vaccine with low performance against latest covid versions. Expect to see even more deadly versions to appear before our slow vaccine rollout is able to jab the majority of the population.    

• Like 1

The stark reality is that Thailand could "approve" any vaccine out there  but it would not change genuine availability . Thailand's Authorities undeniably made a huge error based on the complacency created by the initial 12 months of minimal infection and reliance on local predicted production of AZ .

Were it not for the fact that the developing seriousness of the current situation is no joke it would easily fit the  description of  "a comedy of errors".

That said I feel quite disgusted by the hoarding and manipulation in supply internationally by various countries exercising control and touting "vaccine diplomacy" as some justification in politicization !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

The Phillippines get the vaccines in August, delivery in eight weeks, why is Thailand delaying again??

They aren't delaying. 

There is no vaccine to buy. 

They are trying to buy future production. not something sitting in a warehouse ready to ship, and it doesn't matter if you're buying a vaccine or a new Mercedes, any manufacturing process can have unexpected delays. 

The main issue is that that furure production is already allocated to countries/companies who ordered earlier.  Thais and Thailand being so obviously superior people who should go instantly to the front of the queue doesn't seem to matter to the manufacturers for some reason.

14 hours ago, koratkarlos said:

It is my understanding that the Pfizer vaccine is targeted for Thai children.  Perhaps this is due to it being approved for youth but perhaps us high risk older folk could use it too.  Can someone explain why the Pfizer will be given to the low risk group.  I am happy for the kids but jealous for sure.

It can be used for high risk older groups  and can be given even if yiu have used Moderna or Astrazeneca for first shot. Astrezeneca  on the other  hand seems to have some adverse  effects on younger persons and is recomended for older adults.  Pfizer is the only shot athorized for children in the US with Moderna seeking further testing and approval.  Sinovac is seeking approval for children in various countries.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/first-covid-19-vaccine-approved-children-aged-12-15-eu

1 minute ago, raccos21 said:

The question is when they will get it!?

Who knows but Pfizer is kranking up their out put in factories and getting permision for other factories to to produce it to boost supplies around the world.

I got the AZ jab yesterday at Ploenchit Centre.  Very gratefull to receive the vaccine - and for free - but my goodness, what a circus! What a Circus!!!

In order to eventually get the jab it took five hours (!) of queueing, paperwork, blood pressure tests, more paperwork, more queues, and more tests. Unbelievable. It wasn't that busy either!

The Thais really need to sort this out. Organise a system whereby less time is spent on bureaucratic BS (although some is obviously important) and more time on getting the vaccine in peoples' arms.

Yesterday there were only 250,000 people who got the jab (including me) but this is way way below the kind of numbers required. Sort it out!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Caldera said:

Is Thailand the last country on Earth that has approved the Pfizer vaccine? I don't know, but it sure feels like that!

Approving the Vaccine is not the same as having the money to pay for it tho?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Don't fret. Just like Moderna, it will probably end up being 10 million; at most. The remainder going to 'good causes'.

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

emergency use........ Is it still an emergency if you get the medication after 6 months??

I'd be happy if I thought there was any chance of me/us getting the vaccination in 6 months...

1 minute ago, Yewbzee said:

The global data shows that this a very good vaccine but with a minus 70 degree centigrade storage requirement for this vaccine would anyone honestly trust the logistics chain in Thailand to maintain that?

NO

39 minutes ago, JRG23 said:

I got the AZ jab yesterday at Ploenchit Centre.  Very gratefull to receive the vaccine - and for free - but my goodness, what a circus! What a Circus!!!

In order to eventually get the jab it took five hours (!) of queueing, paperwork, blood pressure tests, more paperwork, more queues, and more tests. Unbelievable. It wasn't that busy either!

The Thais really need to sort this out. Organise a system whereby less time is spent on bureaucratic BS (although some is obviously important) and more time on getting the vaccine in peoples' arms.

Yesterday there were only 250,000 people who got the jab (including me) but this is way way below the kind of numbers required. Sort it out!!

When it got my Pfizer, whole process took 35 minutes (including 30 minutes post jab waiting time)

15 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Not enough and not soon enough. Read this and compare.  UK is going to use this jab a 3rd booster shot this autumn (northern hemisphere). 60 million more doses. If 3 shots are needed it will be the end of next year at this rate for Thailand. These grandiose statements bear no weight with me as time and again they are proved to be just grandstanding nonsence. 

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1116

You can hardly compare Thailand and the UK re infections, lockdowns and other restrictions together with the time they have been in place.

15 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

why worry.. you know in a week or so they will apologise and say they can only get  half whatever number it is ... so work on average of 25M then half it and its 12M , allow 30% of that to be taken off  for special interests (like  the Thai beverage deal)  so its now 7M.... split that into 2 shipments one in November 2020 the other in June 2021 and you end up with 3.5M  in 2020.... once you understand how the this government works ( sic)  the numbers become so much easier to work with 

No explanation why Pfizer's original application to the Thai FDA in November was rejected and government sources repeatedly said they hadn't applied.

Pfizer, which works against the variants, at the same price as the Chinese products that don't work, is a no brainer and was at the time.   

Still no explanation of the marked up prices for Sinovac which they seem to be still ordering in spite of clear evidene that it doesn't work against delta and beta and barely work against alpha.  Someone is getting very rich though.

Edited by Dogmatix

15 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

Any advance on 30 million? Going, going,.............................? 

1 hour ago, JRG23 said:

That is horrible.  I was lucky enough to be able to book through Mor Prom and get an appointment through my regular private hospital in Bangkok.  There were several steps of registration and temperature and blood pressure taking but proper social distancing observed at each. I arrived 15 minutes early and had my jab only 5 minutes after the appointment time.  Was asked to wait 30 minutes to check no anaphalyctic shock and someone came and told me when I could go and how to find the next appointment in Mor Prom. 

It seems they have created a two tier vaccination system: private hospitals and the emergency vaccination centres and anything goes in the latter.