Thailand approves Pfizer-Biontech vaccine for emergency use

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The US will now add a warning to Pfizer and Moderna after the CDC found links between the mRNA vaccines and very rare cases of heart inflammations among young adults and adolescents, the agency announced earlier this week.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1408359860589109250

There is more on that here

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9719891/Inventor-mRNA-vaccines-says-young-adults-teens-not-forced-COVID-vaccine.html

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lingba said:

1.  so it was approved...probably won't be made available until 2025.

2.  They can't even keep a bottle of Singha cold...how are they gonna keep this in the required sub zero temps during storage?

It doesn't have to stored at supercold temps now.   Below revised storage information.

https://www.biopharminternational.com/view/fda-authorizes-increased-storage-time-of-thawed-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine

6 hours ago, Yewbzee said:

The global data shows that this a very good vaccine but with a minus 70 degree centigrade storage requirement for this vaccine would anyone honestly trust the logistics chain in Thailand to maintain that?

The storage conditions were revised last month:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/pfizer/downloads/storage-summary.pdf

see freezer & refrigerator details.

"I told you so" statement is well known in the social community that any US vaccines will be in Thailand later in the Year. Of course at a cost given in private hospital.

Anybody in thailand has 4 options.

1. sign up to get the local vaccine now

2. fly to the US  for 45 days -get the vaccine and the COE- then return to Phuket for 14 days before you go home.

3. don't do anything  now and sign up at the hospital for the Pfizer vaccines later this year requiring you to pay 50% up front  

4. don't get vaccinated and enjoy your life.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, koratkarlos said:

It is my understanding that the Pfizer vaccine is targeted for Thai children.  Perhaps this is due to it being approved for youth but perhaps us high risk older folk could use it too.  Can someone explain why the Pfizer will be given to the low risk group.  I am happy for the kids but jealous for sure.

NZ has been told that Pfizer is safe for children over 12 years of age.. 

The WHO issued a statement that children should not be vaccinated. 

49 % of New Zealanders polled are against the use of Pfizer in NZ to vaccinate their children, or any other vaccine, NZ only uses Pfizer. 

Jacinda said she would let parents make their own decisions. 

My decision is to be cautious, and I would not want to jab any children, including my own. Rnz yesterday. 

19 minutes ago, Bobydog said:

Have they even put a deposit on the keel. lol

I believe they have put a deposit on the first one and have payments over 11 years.  The last two that "they couldn't cancel" have now been cancelled because they they needed the money to fight Covid.  Funny, the submarine which will be delivered in 2023 is built in Wuhan. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tony125 said:

It doesn't have to stored at supercold temps now.   Below revised storage information.

https://www.biopharminternational.com/view/fda-authorizes-increased-storage-time-of-thawed-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine

It's still more logistically complicated.  They still need to keep it super cold when distributing it to regional hospitals/clinics.  Once it's brought up to fridge temps you can't move it again and have to use it within 30 days.

Edited by shdmn

On 6/24/2021 at 3:17 PM, koratkarlos said:

It is my understanding that the Pfizer vaccine is targeted for Thai children.  Perhaps this is due to it being approved for youth but perhaps us high risk older folk could use it too.  Can someone explain why the Pfizer will be given to the low risk group.  I am happy for the kids but jealous for sure.

No idea. I'm in France at the moment and have received both doses of Pfizer, the last one 6 weeks ago. I'm waiting to return to Thailand if/ when they lift the testing and quarantining requirements for those fully vaccinated. May yet be a long wait. Talking today to wife and family there they believe Thailand is already open to foreigners again based on what they hear on Thai TV news channels. I know that's not right but of course as a foreigner I must be wrong!!!

12 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

According to their entry on the American Chamber of Commerce website, the function of Pfizer (Thailand)  is to "[offer] innovative, high quality medicines and medical supplies to prevent and treat disease and improve the health and wellness of Thais."

https://connect.amchamthailand.com/list/member/pfizer-thailand-ltd-1569

Well thanks for the feedback... but they do seem to have come late to the game (wrt Covid vaccine approval) in Thailand, having been established since 1958! Seems inexcusable....

20 hours ago, JRG23 said:

I got the AZ jab yesterday at Ploenchit Centre.  Very gratefull to receive the vaccine - and for free - but my goodness, what a circus! What a Circus!!!

In order to eventually get the jab it took five hours (!) of queueing, paperwork, blood pressure tests, more paperwork, more queues, and more tests. Unbelievable. It wasn't that busy either!

The Thais really need to sort this out. Organise a system whereby less time is spent on bureaucratic BS (although some is obviously important) and more time on getting the vaccine in peoples' arms.

Yesterday there were only 250,000 people who got the jab (including me) but this is way way below the kind of numbers required. Sort it out!!

I had my first jab of AZ around 10 weeks ago on the street lol. A friend of mine works for the council and was with charity workers and nurses giving out the AZ jab to the homeless. He was passing near where I lived and called to see if I wanted a jab as they have to throw the ones not used away. So I popped out had the jab , spoke to them for 20 mins in case I grew another head then on my merry way. 

My second jab was yesterday in a local pharmacy . No blood pressure taken or red tape issues there either but there was a doctor there who has your medical records. In and out 10 mins. 

Also I could of had my first jab months earlier but tbh I had concerns and put it off.  

There seems to be a lot of vaccine snobbery but I do understand not wanting the Chinese or Russian one out of choice even though there is no concrete evidence of anything negative. But the western ones are far more transparent even with the small % of risk/negative reactions. 

I’m in the U.K., stuck here since Jan 2020 but tbh quite glad I have been .  You basically have a choice right now on which vaccines you have if you are over 35 I think. Under they recommend Pfizer or Moderna. Again don’t quote me on this, this is just what friends have said after getting their vaccines. 

Just nice to know the UK seems to be getting this right.

Edited by goldenbrwn1

15 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Then you read it wrong. They have said it will not be routinely used from October onwards, because they will have enough supplies of other vaccines to cover their needs but will continue to be available on request.

I didn't read it wrong. The article I read stated BANNED and it was also on the news on tv here that it was being banned. Now that doesn't mean that it is going to be banned, BUT please don't tell me I've read something wrong when i didn't.

18 hours ago, John Drake said:

It appears that AZ soon will be the only vaccine unapproved in both the West and China. What a disaster.

It’s a political disaster with probably a lot of money involved. We are now finding out more about the similar scale with similar side effects from the Pfizer jab that has only been associated with the AZ jab in the recent past.  The EU has a lot as per usual to answer for that media (political Brexit) hysteria.

Tbf Australia hasn’t suffered as much as those countries in the west since the outbreak so I understand the apprehensiveness towards AZ esp after the media frenzy. But at the end of the day either with AZ or Pfizer the risks are comparable with complications with the pill for women , a lighting strike or the long haul flight from London to Bangkok.  In fact those stats are all actually higher!

15 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Pfizer was only approved on June 12th

before that date it could not be ordered as what not approved for use in Thailand

Moderna was approved for use on May 13th

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2115195/thai-fda-approves-moderna-vaccine

The Thai FDA earlier approved the vaccines made by AstraZeneca Thailand on Jan 20 this year, Sinovac Biotech imported by GPO on Feb 22 and Johnson & Johnson on March 27. 

Many Sinovac vacccines were donated by China and 150,000 were ordered and given specifically to all Chinese Nationals currently in Thailand by the Chinese Embassy. Another 500,000 were donated to Thailand.

So tell me why none have been made here in Thailand and been distributed here yet? They surely have the capability...

This in the mail today. Possibly some serious side effects ( heart damage ) being linked to Pfizer and Moderna.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9725051/UK-health-chiefs-say-rates-myocarditis-higher-expected-amoung-young-adults.html

British health chiefs could soon issue a warning that Pfizer and Moderna's Covid jabs are linked to heart issues in extremely rare cases, experts believe. 

Fears about the two jabs causing myocarditis have grown in recent weeks, following a string of cases in young adults and children in Israel and the US.

American regulators have already accepted there is a 'likely link' between the heart condition and the vaccines, and will add warnings about the potential complication on information sheets given to the public.

18 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I believe they have put a deposit on the first one and have payments over 11 years.  The last two that "they couldn't cancel" have now been cancelled because they they needed the money to fight Covid.  Funny, the submarine which will be delivered in 2023 is built in Wuhan. 

Amazing turn of events, what will they christen the Vessel I wonder, RTN Covid?  This whole mismanaged business could outdo Star Wars at the box office

I don’t think everyone will be done with 2 doses of vaccines because Canadian PM said you need to get a booster shots every year. I assume that you need to update your vaccination status as well if you want to travel.

Looks like this pandemic will be continue with new version of viruses every year in the future.

https://globalnews.ca/video/7784341/trudeau-announces-major-deal-with-pfizer-to-provide-covid-19-booster-shots

8DB548D2-F3AC-4A57-9C82-4269737B913A.jpeg

22 hours ago, shdmn said:

It's still more logistically complicated.  They still need to keep it super cold when distributing it to regional hospitals/clinics.  Once it's brought up to fridge temps you can't move it again and have to use it within 30 days.

I posted this already. It says that after the transport at -80 to -60 C, vaccine can be stored in a freezer for 2 weeks at -25 to -15 C before going into a refrigerator at +2 - +8 C for up to a month. Seems not that difficult, even here:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/pfizer/downloads/storage-summary.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, David T Pike said:

So tell me why none have been made here in Thailand and been distributed here yet? They surely have the capability...

Are you really asking that question ? Think man , do you think that Pfizer, Moderna , Sinovac , Astrazeneca, Novavac and other companies just give the formula to every country around the world so each can make their own vaccines?  They are not that altruistic. That's why countries have to buy or be given vaccine from the developers of the vaccine.. The US was given the formula for Astrazeneca (British Product) because the Brits didn't have the capacity to crank out enough vaccine.  Thats why Britan also gave the formula to Thai Bioscience  to make AZ here and distribute  the vacccine here in Thailand and around Asia.

14 hours ago, Dumbfounded said:

So now with all the different vax's available does anyone know what the chemical compounds are and how they differ?  It's starting to seem like sunscreen and I don't know which one is SPF50, SPF40, SPF20, etc.

As you can see from chart not all the vaccines are made the same way or have the same chemicals

thumbnail.jpg.db278af461b5fe256dda4905e54290ef.jpg

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Are you really asking that question ? Think man , do you think that Pfizer, Moderna , Sinovac , Astrazeneca, Novavac and other companies just give the formula to every country around the world so each can make their own vaccines?  They are not that altruistic. That's why countries have to buy or be given vaccine from the developers of the vaccine.. The US was given the formula for Astrazeneca (British Product) because the Brits didn't have the capacity to crank out enough vaccine.  Thats why Britan also gave the formula to Thai Bioscience  to make AZ here and distribute  the vacccine here in Thailand and around Asia.

You must work for the Thai bureaucracy. Make excuses all you want but there are other small, less wealthy nations that have been vaccinating for many many months already... https://theconversation.com/small-countries-and-covid-19-vaccination-the-example-of-serbia-157159

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 5:32 PM, Nickelbeer said:

Good news, but when can we get jabs?? Pfizer is my first choice but all other alternatives are saying that it will be October before I can get vaccinated.

Don't bet on it until its actually here

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, David T Pike said:

You must work for the Thai bureaucracy. Make excuses all you want but there are other small, less wealthy nations that have been vaccinating for many many months already... https://theconversation.com/small-countries-and-covid-19-vaccination-the-example-of-serbia-157159

The article mentioned  they secured supplies thru buying the vaccines and negotiating trade pkgs, ect from the countries that make it (as they don't make it ) My comment was simply about your suggestion that why doesn't  Thailand make some vaccines since they must have the capacity.  Really? The BioScince lab that was given the formula by the Brits to make AZ for Thailand and other Asian countries was supposed to crank out 10 million shots a month.   Was supposed to have 10 million shots for Thailand in June but was only able to make 2 million doses for June and told Phillippines and Malasia their oders would be delayed. The reason ----they haven't done  this before and inexpiriance causes delays as they have to be careful.   I make no excuses about their slow roll out of vaccine. They should have ordered  other Brands long ago instead of exspecting their plant to make all they need.  Plus they were slow to approve other vaccines for use in Thailand such as Pfizer, Moderna, J and J, or Novavac ( which is still not approved here) and which people could have paid for and ordered.  Also Thailand did not sign up with Covax  an organization that procures vaccine for poorer nations as they did not want to be seen as needing charity.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 4:48 PM, anchadian said:

The US will now add a warning to Pfizer and Moderna after the CDC found links between the mRNA vaccines and very rare cases of heart inflammations among young adults and adolescents, the agency announced earlier this week.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1408359860589109250

Vaccine-linked heart condition tends to resolve quickly; Delta variant fuses cells to infect more efficiently

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/covid-science-vaccine-linked-heart-191203807.html