60,000 New Conscripts in Thailand Will Be Vaccinated against COVID-19

webfact

25c80b21d10b1712bd220ea17cee2b3b_small.jpg

By Subhabhong Rarueysong

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has announced that about 60,000 new conscripts and their instructors will be vaccinated against COVID-19 soon, after they report for duty, to help build herd immunity.

CCSA assistant spokeswoman Dr. Apisamai Srirangsan said COVID-19 measures are being stepped up at military bases across the nation, as new conscripts are scheduled to report for duty July 1-3.

She said the conscripts are required to report for duty at the provincial halls in their respective provinces, where they will be screened for COVID-19. If found to be infected, they will be treated and will not join their units until they have made a complete recovery.

According to Dr. Apisamai, all will undergo a 14-day quarantine before they are sent to their units, where they will be given another 14 days for adjustment. Those unable to report for duty, because they are being isolated or treated for COVID-19 infections, will not be regarded as being absent without leave.

nnt.jpg
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

All young, fit and disease free......what a waste of vaccines when elderly Thais lives are at risk.

The subtext to all this is, could govt be preparing for something draconian and needs the army to be ready to implement it?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

The subtext to all this is, could govt be preparing for something draconian and needs the army to be ready to implement it?

It's not a subtext at all. Military have already been providing support in many ways. Setting up and running quarantine facilities, providing transport, supporting vaccine centres, building field hospitals and manning them.

And let's not forget the all important border security.

They are even providing funeral facilities when required.

They're are not 'ready to implemented it', they're already doing it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It's not a subtext at all. Military have already been providing support in many ways. Setting up and running quarantine facilities, providing transport, supporting vaccine centres, building field hospitals and manning them.

I guess I was thinking more along lines of enforcing secure lockdowns etc etc

Edit: I've just seen the posts re: guarding the building camps to ensure no escapees.

Life moves fast

Edited by ourmanflint
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has announced that about 60,000 new conscripts and their instructors will be vaccinated against COVID-19 soon, after they report for duty, to help build herd immunity.

Why not save the 60,000 vaccines for those who need them more and just lock the new recruits in the barracks like they do with migrants in work camps?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

More vaccine delays for the original #1 priority group of elder people and those with underlying medical conditions. 

True but you seem to forget the army is in control of Thailand. So they look after their own

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, smedly said:

beat me to it, and since they will all be training together in camps there is little risk of outside spread 

Maybe Thailand has already fully vaccinated all the at risk and over 60's and all emergency staff and are keeping it a big secret

or they have supplies of sinovac that nobody wants  

I can assure you that Thailand has NOT fully vaccinated all the at risk and over 60's and all emergency staff. At least up here in rural Kamphaeng Phet and probably very few in the rural provinces, Some of the posters from Issan could perhaps fill us in on that region.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The military .n the west have been doing that for months now.

I am not slagging off the new recruits but their so called leaders who wasted most of last year sitting on their rear ends, slapping each other on the back and telling everybody what a great job they have been doing. NOT.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:
6 hours ago, smedly said:

beat me to it, and since they will all be training together in camps there is little risk of outside spread 

Maybe Thailand has already fully vaccinated all the at risk and over 60's and all emergency staff and are keeping it a big secret

or they have supplies of sinovac that nobody wants  

Expand  

9 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I can assure you that Thailand has NOT fully vaccinated all the at risk and over 60's and all emergency staff. At least up here in rural Kamphaeng Phet and probably very few in the rural provinces, Some of the posters from Issan could perhaps fill us in on that region.

Oh most definitely not! I am in the 'at risk' group along with many others in our Issan village and I am the only one, yes the only one who has had a vaccination. Admittedly there is quite a bit of 'vaccine reluctance' in these parts and the risk of catching Covid is very low here, non the less there are still many at 'risk folks' unvaccinated.

But I'm still going to defend my stance that all military personnel should be fully vaccinated as soon as possible. Militaries throughout the world are assisting in many ways in the fight against Covid and they should be protected as much as possible.

I was reading an article earlier today about the sad fact that less than 25% of the British public appreciate the work that the armed forces are doing in the fight against Covid. You can read it here. So there, I've rang the bell for my former colleagues in arms and now I'm ringing the bell for the Thai military.

And you can pin whatever emoticons you like to this post. I don't give a damn!

Thai conscripts have always been used for medical control group. I am surprised that those complaining are unaware.  Every year they take part of conscript intake and do testing for general disease. They say this is perfect control group.  By vaccinating and  observing over the next year, government can see if vaccines are effective.

11 hours ago, Surelynot said:

All young, fit and disease free......what a waste of vaccines when elderly Thais lives are at risk.

How do you know they are disease free and fit? I would expect that the young are more likely to be infected since they are the ones who typically socialize in large groups and are less careful.

In Thailand, the elderly are not the high risk group. It is factory and  customer facing staff in service trade. Have you looked at the outbreaks reported? 

4 hours ago, Excel said:

I can confirm that it  is worse than that where we live in Udon Thani province.  The local  community hospital has had no one vaccinated, no vaccines allocated for them ! That's Doctors, nurses and ancillary staff. No elderly or infirm under their care have been able to get vaccinations either according to the doctor.  No timeline for when it will be generally available was given either.  It appears from what they say this is the general situation in the province except for the military hospital. 

And where you live in Udon, how many infected are there, and how many  explosion of cases are there? maybe vaccine is sent to outbreak zone first?

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

Covid-19 Vaccination Center of Srinagarind Hospital now opens – taking only 5 steps for the shot

June 7, 2021 – Khon Kaen Province officially opens the Covid-19 Vaccination Center of Srinagarind Hospital.

https://m.kku.ac.th/10648

DSC01355-500x333.jpg

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Oh most definitely not! I am in the 'at risk' group along with many others in our Issan village and I am the only one, yes the only one who has had a vaccination. Admittedly there is quite a bit of 'vaccine reluctance' in these parts and the risk of catching Covid is very low here, non the less there are still many at 'risk folks' unvaccinated.

But I'm still going to defend my stance that all military personnel should be fully vaccinated as soon as possible. Militaries throughout the world are assisting in many ways in the fight against Covid and they should be protected as much as possible.

I was reading an article earlier today about the sad fact that less than 25% of the British public appreciate the work that the armed forces are doing in the fight against Covid. You can read it here. So there, I've rang the bell for my former colleagues in arms and now I'm ringing the bell for the Thai military.

And you can pin whatever emoticons you like to this post. I don't give a damn!

Firstly, thank you for your public service.

Secondly, there are militaries and then there are militaries….

Whilst I appreciate the bond of brotherhood between armed forces, the Thai military is a largely oppressive internal force and one which underpinned a change in government in 2014 and many times previously.

Thanks to them, I can’t even write what I would like to at this point due to draconian censorship laws.

They are not worthy of any significant respect, as far as I can see. 

Finally, as a former serviceman, who probably spent their career defending or fighting for democracy/freedom/human rights, do you not find it slightly ironic to now be defending an authoritarian military which actively suppresses those very things which were your stated purpose ?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, realfunster said:

Firstly, thank you for your public service.

Secondly, there are militaries and then there are militaries….

Whilst I appreciate the bond of brotherhood between armed forces, the Thai military is a largely oppressive internal force and one which underpinned a change in government in 2014 and many times previously.

Thanks to them, I can’t even write what I would like to at this point due to draconian censorship laws.

They are not worthy of any significant respect, as far as I can see. 

Finally, as a former serviceman, who probably spent their career defending or fighting for democracy/freedom/human rights, do you not find it slightly ironic to now be defending an authoritarian military which actively suppresses those very things which were your stated purpose ?

Thank you for your concern, but I should point out that this post is about the vaccination of conscripts who, by and large, have no choice or influence in matters concerning the behavior of the regime at large. They, at least deserve the best protection that can be provided and I'm pleased to see that they are.

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Thank you for your concern, but I should point out that this post is about the vaccination of conscripts who, by and large, have no choice or influence in matters concerning the behavior of the regime at large. They, at least deserve the best protection that can be provided and I'm pleased to see that they are.

I disagree, and I believe you are being emotive rather than logical.

As young and healthy adults their risk profile is relatively (if not extremely) low. As for spreading risk, no different than the 20 year old girl working in my local Bangkok 7-11 or my Thai iced tea vendor who deal, up close and personal, with hundreds of customers a day. 

Conscripts or not, there are many other higher priority groups who still require vaccination such as > 60s, medically compromised and front-line healthcare workers. Those initial target groups took around 3 months of high daily vaccine numbers to complete in the UK, where to the best of my knowledge, the armed forces received no preferential treatment.

Depending on their assigned roles, the soldiers may fall into the ‘front-line’ category, if so, fair enough but if just providing “logistical” support, they can wait their turn. 

Get the high risk groups done first, then start looking at other public servants. 

• Like 1