Covid Insurance - Intl plans accepted?

I am aware that the general path to enter Thailand involves a specific Thailand-based Covid policy.

I have seen some suggest that a letter from your own (international) insurer could suffice, but have not seen firsthand confirmation that this works.

I ask because my family may need to go abroad to see a relative before she passes away.  We have very high end, extremely expensive, worldwide insurance (incl USA) but am concerned this will still not be good enough for reentry into Thailand.

Of course, our preferred plan would be to never return, but since my wife can only spend 90 days in the US (green card processing would take years) and I can't settle in her country our options are limited.

In additional to other requirements (quarantine, etc), we would like to avoid worthless and expensive extra insurance for the entire family.

So, any recent firsthand reports of entry with international insurance plans? (Not Covid specific plans).

15 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

My question is, why is Covid-19 insurance required when several of these so-called government officials in Thailand are making claims that their vaccines are 100% effective where you won't become seriously ill and/or require hospitalization? Fully vaccinated foreigners are required to take 3 tests after arrival, yet none of the locals anywhere in Thailand are required to take tests after being fully vaccinated.

Scam is the first answer that comes to mind.

If you test positive (vaccinated or not) you will be forced into hospital quarantine. So better make sure that your insurance covers hospitalisation also when you don't have any symptoms and are not in need of medical treatment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swiss1960 said:

First hand report: I used my Cigna Global Health policy in the COE process. Cigna Global provided me with a letter stating that they cover me for up to 35 Mio Baht, including Covid.

Was accepted by the Thai Embassy in Bern, Switzerland, within less than 24 hours, no questions asked. 

Edit to add: Should the Embassy not accept that insurance, you would get the chance to THEN buy one of those Covid-insurances and repeat the process.

Thanks for this.

So it appears that insurance validity is actually confirmed at the embassy (in our case this would be Los Angeles) prior to departure rather than at arrival, which is something of a relief - I'd rather not rely on the whims of a Thai immigration officer.

Not sure if our insurer (Aetna Intl MHP) will provide the letter, but I would hope so given our huge premiums.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, eppic said:

Thanks for this.

So it appears that insurance validity is actually confirmed at the embassy (in our case this would be Los Angeles) prior to departure rather than at arrival, which is something of a relief - I'd rather not rely on the whims of a Thai immigration officer.

Not sure if our insurer (Aetna Intl MHP) will provide the letter, but I would hope so given our huge premiums.

I suspect your insurer will be willing to provide a letter stating the terms of its insurance coverage for covid.  And that will be sufficient to get your CoE and enter Thailand.

But there are a couple issues that you may be interested in regarding foreign (non-Thai) insurance companies.  

1)  Will they pay the hospital directly or will you have to pay the hospital yourself and seek reimbursement.

2) Thailand has a policy of hospitalizing anyone who tests positive for a covid test, whether or not the person is experiencing any symptoms whatsoever (that is, symptomatic and asymptomatic people are hospitalized if they fail a covid test in Thailand).  Will your insurance pay if you are hospitalized according to the Thai government policy but are asymptomatic.  I've heard of foreign insurance companies rejecting claims for hospitalization in Thailand on the grounds the insured was asymptomatic and therefore hospitalization was not medically necessary.

Some Thai insurers will pay the hospital directly and some Thai insurers will pay for your hospitalization even if you are asymptomatic.  Maybe some international ones will as well.  It pays to find out before you need it.

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 2

Thanks Nrasmussen and Skatewash, I am aware of the risk for asymptomatic hospitalization but since we would be fully vaccinated (except for our 5-yr old) with Pfizer and tested prior to return, I believe the risk would be relatively low.

Emirates would be a nice option but I don't think it works for our destination (unless we go to Europe first, which is possible), I expect we would be on Singapore Airlines.

Edited by eppic
  • Like 1

I have AXA global health insurance policy and can also confirm the it has been accepted two times for COE (submitted at the Royal Thai Consulate in Dubai). The cover letter stating numbers in US$ is very important as well, of course, as the insurance card or document itself. I will be submitting an application agin tomorrow. Carry the cover letter, with a few copies with you as in my case I needed to show it at check in, at the gate and again on arrival in Thailand.

Was advised during my first application for COE to put separate lines and values for inpatient cover, outpatient cover and Cover cover and also to state that it was applicable globally, including Thailand!

Edited by Rhacsyn
More info
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2021 at 2:50 PM, nrasmussen said:

If you test positive (vaccinated or not) you will be forced into hospital quarantine. So better make sure that your insurance covers hospitalisation also when you don't have any symptoms and are not in need of medical treatment.

Why would you be hospitalised if you have no symptoms? It makes no sense. The worst place to be is in a hospital with other infected people.  International standard of care is home isolation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Why would you be hospitalised if you have no symptoms? It makes no sense. The worst place to be is in a hospital with other infected people.  International standard of care is home isolation. 

And all the while dispersing it around the country ...

I guess this is one of those things where you just have to say ... TIT.

When i came back after my mother passed. The Thai embassy in Los Angeles would not accept my American Blue Cross insurance. I had to purchase a Thai insurance plan for 32,000 baht. Its good for 1 year and include Covid insurance of 100,000 USD 

I had BUPA International cover when I arrived. I had to get a letter off them specifically saying that COVID was covered, and I submitted that with my insurance certificate when I applied for the COE. It was all accepted. Then I had to show copies again at the airport when I arrived.

On 6/27/2021 at 2:53 PM, skatewash said:

If you happen to be flying on Emirates I have seen several reports of people successfully using the free (included) multi-risk travel insurance (which includes sufficient coverage for Covid-19) to obtain a CoE and enter Thailand.

https://www.emirates.com/us/english/before-you-fly/multi-risk-travel-insurance/

I'm following this, too. Might be reason to chose Emirates for my return flight from Europe to Thailand in August.

Let's see how it plays out for the first applicants within this month.

If not then I just would need to buy additional Thai Covid 19 insurance.

Not that I want to but have no other choice than to spend some money for this...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Thailand is not International...

There is no requirement for a "Thailand based" policy. International policies are accepted and many people have used them to get COEs. You will need a specific statemernt from your insurer that COVID is covered for at least $100,000 and that you are covered in Thailand, and the dates of the coverage.

On 6/28/2021 at 6:09 PM, club said:

When i came back after my mother passed. The Thai embassy in Los Angeles would not accept my American Blue Cross insurance. I had to purchase a Thai insurance plan for 32,000 baht. Its good for 1 year and include Covid insurance of 100,000 USD 

Did you provide a certificate from them that specifically stated you were covered, in Thailand, for COVID in an amount over $100,000?

On 6/28/2021 at 6:18 PM, Polar Bear said:

I had BUPA International cover when I arrived. I had to get a letter off them specifically saying that COVID was covered, and I submitted that with my insurance certificate when I applied for the COE. It was all accepted. Then I had to show copies again at the airport when I arrived.

I'm in the final days of the 14day quarantine - coming back after 18mos away. Fully vaccinated, and have Cigna Global Healthcare Insurance which covers COVID. However, I'm skeptical about why they define $100k as necessary, and think that if they can find a way to fleece the 'farang' for it they will, so i took out a supplementary local AXA insurance for 90days which i presented upon arrival to be used in lieu of Cigna - no issues, and for circa THB7,000 felt it was worth the risk rather than them hit my main healthcare in the event i was found to be positive.

3 throat and brain ticklers later - all negative just need to get home now and lock the doors - already told the wife that the 2mtr social distance for sex requirement is going to be tough. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Did you provide a certificate from them that specifically stated you were covered, in Thailand, for COVID in an amount over $100,000?

Gave them a separate letter from my insurance company Blue cross Blue shield on just Covid coverage. Had plenty of coverage on inpatient/ outpatient. After 3 tries finally gave up and That's when the embassy suggested getting Thai insurance . Cost me 30,000thb including Covid. It went right through . Been using this same insurance for 10 years here now and never had a problem. Only when I try to get back in the country it becomes a problem. 

On 6/27/2021 at 3:52 PM, eppic said:

Thanks for this.

The Los Angeles embassy would not except my Blue cross blue Shield insurance. I gave them separate letter stating I was covered for over 100k in case of Covid. They kept asking if i had Thai insurance. Still tried 2 more times and same result. Finally gave in and bought Thai insurance including Covid coverage for 30,000 THB. Went through the next day with no problem. Good Luck    

• Sad 1