COVID-19: Thailand reports new daily record of 53 deaths; 4,786 new cases

webfact

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So do we open schools in Bangkok.

Yes or No

Let's see. Open schools will see disease spread yes or no? Schools in BKK not openning for a long time and provinces that have schools open now may very well close soon as the Delta and Beta variants spread. It's already happening.

Edited by dinsdale

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My question was directed to a member that has consistently called for schools to be open. Wonder if recent events (numbers) have changed that view.

I know of who you speak. BKK was never going to open schools this month and now that Mr. Empty Head has let 10's of thousands out to spread the disease along with all the other Thais in BKK from up country who can see the writing on the wall I think the entire term is a write off. I fear for the worst here. The Thong Lor spread and post Songkran spread was small change compared to what is about to befall Thailand.

He who said he would take full resposibility please stand up.  

Edited by dinsdale

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My question was directed to a member that has consistently called for schools to be open. Wonder if recent events (numbers) have changed that view.

As a teacher who's lost and is losing income due to schools being closed, and as a parent of a young child who has had to put up with 3 months of ineffective online learning and isolation from his friends, then, yes, I hope the schools can open soon. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I see from CNA that the Central bank in Singapore has just reconfirmed its economic forecast of 4% to 6% growth this year and states that they may exceed that depending on the world economy.

singapore had one of the strictest lockdowns, and I mean strict, kept cases low (other than an outbreak among migrant workers) and is now slowly coming out of restrictions. No suggestion of tourists being let in, and they used to get a lot.

Maybe lockdowns don’t equal financial ruin? Food for thought.

Yes, Singapore cancelled their F1 Grand Prix weekend which is much more than 20 cars driving round the streets.

I hope their Central Bank is more realistic than BOT.

4 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I see from CNA that the Central bank in Singapore has just reconfirmed its economic forecast of 4% to 6% growth this year and states that they may exceed that depending on the world economy.

singapore had one of the strictest lockdowns, and I mean strict, kept cases low (other than an outbreak among migrant workers) and is now slowly coming out of restrictions. No suggestion of tourists being let in, and they used to get a lot.

Maybe lockdowns don’t equal financial ruin? Food for thought.

Agree, the lockdowns were essential at the time for Singapore and was the right measure to take.

Eventually the world will learn to live with covid, we're not there yet as not enough people have been vaccinated, Singapore is leading the way in outlining how they will get there though, it is similar to how the UK, Israel and the US will get back to normal. Other countries will follow their lead including Thailand, once it gets its act together on this outbreak and its vaccinations.

Very interesting article of the new normal that Singapore is looking at:

Living normally, with Covid-19: Task force ministers on how S'pore is drawing road map for new normal

Just now, riparian said:

Yes, Singapore cancelled their F1 Grand Prix weekend which is much more than 20 cars driving round the streets.

I hope their Central Bank is more realistic than BOT.

I doubt that there is a more pragmatic, data driven central bank than MAS. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Agree, the lockdowns were essential at the time for Singapore and was the right measure to take.

Eventually the world will learn to live with covid, we're not there yet as not enough people have been vaccinated, Singapore is leading the way in outlining how they will get there though, it is similar to how the UK, Israel and the US will get back to normal. Other countries will follow their lead including Thailand, once it gets its act together on this outbreak and its vaccinations.

Very interesting article of the new normal that Singapore is looking at:

Living normally, with Covid-19: Task force ministers on how S'pore is drawing road map for new normal

Singapore has got its act together hasn’t it? 

remind me, Thailand’s road map is what? Ah right, open the country in 120 days no matter what the Covid situation is. 

I guess it has simplicity as it’s strength.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

remind me, Thailand’s road map is what? Ah right, open the country in 120 days no matter what the Covid situation is. 

Yep, its looking ahead with a clear vision and goal, laying out all the steps needed, what needs to be implemented and how they will achieve it. 

Thailand had the benefit of looking at the experience of  poor planning by other countries at the start of the pandemic, such as the UK but did not seem to take heed when it hit them here.

Thailand also now has the experience of how other countries are successfully coming out of it into the new normal, again is Thailand taking notice? I don't see that at the moment.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

To be accurate, the plan is to open the country in 120 days, if certain conditions are met. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Possibly the Sinovac is less effective just as with the others, but may still be good enough to prevent serious infections.

But the big three vaccines were all derived from the (spikes of the) same original variant weren't they?

Edited by mommysboy

7 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Possibly the Sinovac is less effective just as with the others, but may still be good enough to prevent serious infections.

But the big three vaccines were all derived from the (spikes of the) same original variant weren't they?

No, they're not.  mRNA vaccines can tweek the spike's shape by customizing the mRNA code. This is one of the deep secrets to their success. This work was done by a team at University of Texas led byJason S. McLellan. 

https://cen.acs.org/pharmaceuticals/vaccines/tiny-tweak-behind-COVID-19/98/i38?ref=search_results

I believe he recently said they had an even better tweaking method that they may license free world wide.   It's intended for use with a new technology using tobacco leaves to manufacture vast  amounts of vaccines almost in your backyard.  That may be a shot across the bow for Pfizer and Moderna.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand on Wednesday (June 30) reported 4,786 new COVID-19 cases and 53 additional deaths over the past 24 hours

Why does the thai media not concentrate on the useless thai government. Cambodia are far ahead of vaccinations. Stop reporting Cambodia and start telling the truth about the disaster that is unfolding in Thailand. It’s called deflection  

15 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Can anyone explain to me how Singapore has had only 35 deaths since this all began??

Its  very small and has a storng govt with  well  educated  people who  know  how to respond. Their  achilles  heel is  the  poor  conditions migrant workers are   housed  in.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

To be accurate, the plan is to open the country in 120 days, if certain conditions are met. 

Which are?

70% of the population vaccinated? How is that progressing? Having a plan with a clearly unattainable condition isn’t a plan really. So I was wrong, there is no plan.

any other conditions? I’m not sure that they have been clearly articulated, because they have gone right over my head. On the other hand, The messaging from the government  in Singapore will be relentless.

but I take your point, my comment about Thailand’s plan to open in 120 days come what may, was incorrect.

Although in my defense, after the initial announcement by the PM, every future announcement that I have read from central and provincial government officials makes no mention of conditions to be met, what they are or how the country is progressing on them, they simply talk of opening in 120 days.

thanks for picking up my mistake

6 hours ago, Salerno said:

Have a look at history (can't find the link at the moment but read it when this all kicked off). The towns that locked down in the USA during the Spanish flu outperformed those that didn't; deaths and economic recovery.

No need to go that far back, look also at China, Australia and new  zealand in this pandemic.

It seems to me that early hard lockdowns give opportunities for recovery (and vaccinations) earlier. The later and lighter the lockdown, the more drawn out the process seems to become and recovery is never quite there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Listen to the experts

Experts call for Thai government to procure mRNA vaccines instead of Sinovac

The Infectious Disease Association of Thailand (IDAT) is calling on the Thai government to procure mRNA COVID-19 vaccines, instead of China’s Sinovac, citing concerns over the Chinese vaccine’s efficacy against new variants, especially the virulent Delta strain.

The IDAT submitted a letter addressed to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha today (Wednesday), explaining that Sinovac is a whole virus vaccine, which may not be effective against the Delta or other new variants, citing lack of formal research into this type of vaccine, and that previous assessments were made when the Alpha variant was dominant.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/experts-call-for-thai-government-to-procure-mrna-vaccines-instead-of-sinovac/

They'll  still be trying it  in 20  years like Windows XP

Thailand reports new daily record of 57 coronavirus deaths; 5,533 new cases

COVID1.jpg

File photo//REUTERS

Thailand on Thursday (July 1) reported 5,533 new COVID-19 cases and 57 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1222295-thailand-reports-new-daily-record-of-57-coronavirus-deaths-5533-new-cases/

//CLOSED//

/Admin