Thailand reports 6,230 new COVID-19 cases, 41 more deaths

webfact

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

To the limited extent that expats in Thailand lately can fight their way into getting a vaccine, they do often seem to still have a choice between getting the Sinovac or AZ vaccine.  I did at Phyathai II Hospital in BKK earlier this week.

So for that reason, it's worthwhile to consider the efficacy rates between those two, and others that may become available in the future.

I had the AZ vaccine on the 24th at MedPark, and would like to add an MRNA vaccine as the second dose based upon some studies I have read.  Here are two stories regarding the combination.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/germany-recommends-combination-astrazeneca-mrna-shots-78629041

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/mixing-vaccines-pfizer-astrazeneca-1.6083245

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Some details have just been published, there's a list of 17 different area's/categories where the infections occurred in Chonburi, can't list them all here as its over the fair use policy but interesting that:

#15 is Close contacts of previously confirmed patients: 77 family members and 40 co-workers. 

#4 is Medical staffers 4 cases

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/03/chonburi-annouces-294-new-and-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-new-cluster-at-banglamung-area-ice-factory/

that list lacks a huge amount of detail, like were have these people been - locations dates etc, I have never been to that i e factory but where have they been

Risky occupation that meets many people, 2 cases - who and what do they do, work in a restaurant or massage or 7/11 - we need details like this

thanks for posting 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

So, what happened to all of those posters who were claiming this was just the flu, lockdowns don’t work, Covid is a hoax, etc?

You know they sell mirrors in Homepro not so much expensive you should get one!

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So for that reason, it's worthwhile to consider the efficacy rates between those two, and others that may become available in the future.

Good for you and that BKK guy -- consider away.

I talked some folks who went to Phayathai and when they registered. although they wanted AZ, there could only register for Sinovac.

Edited by jerrymahoney

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

And as above some who registered on ThailandIntervac were told Sinovac or nothing.

That's where I got my P2 appointment from, which arrived earlier this week for an AZ shot. So obviously people's experiences with that have varied over time. 

When I was at P2 this week in the clinic for foreigner vaccinations, they were doling out both the Sinovac and AZ vaccines.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I'm certainly seeing more posts of bodies being taken from residences on FB by some Thai friends.

Yes, the GF has been showing me theses as well as a story of more children being separated from their parents because they are sick with Covid and showing symptoms.  Yes it is anecdotal, but it is truthful social media.

3 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

And as above some who registered on ThailandIntervac were told Sinovac or nothing.

Which is sad because I registered through the Intervac site and obtained the AZ vaccine, like many others did.  What a cluster.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When I was at P2 this week in the clinic for foreigner vaccinations, they were doling out both the Sinovac and AZ vaccines.

Yes and by all reports if you were registered for Sinovac you could not switch to AZ on site even though others were receiving the AZ.

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

On Friday, one government medical advisor predicted that deaths from COVID-19 will rise from 992 in June to 1,400 in July, and then to 2,000 in August and 2,800 in September [meaning an average of 90+ per day], ultimately crippling the public health system.

That's about par. With the associated co morbidities: hypertension, diabetis, kidney and heart disease. And of course the heavy cigarette smokers. I'm surprised some of these people are still walking around.

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30330962

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Yes and by all reports if you were registered for Sinovac you could not switch to AZ on site even though others were receiving the AZ.

That's been the case since the beginning. Whatever appointment and vaccine you registered for at the beginning via the Intervac site, you were stuck with that... and couldn't decide later that you wanted to switch to a different vaccine. 

When I chose my appointment on the Intervac site, I had a choice between the two different vaccines, and I chose the AZ vaccine. And I believe the efficacy data available for AZ vs Sinovac supports that choice.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

"Two doses of the AstraZeneca (AZN.L) vaccine were 60% effective against symptomatic disease from the Delta compared with 66% effectiveness against the Alpha, PHE said."

I believe this has now been revised.  What we do know is that AZ is now 92% effective against serious illness after 2 doses  (Pfizer 96% I think).

Symptomatic disease isn't the issue really.  It's how bad the infection gets. 

For AZ to shine requires very long delays between 1st and 2nd doses. (the so called viral vector interference problem).  Oxford just published a paper saying best results are obtained after a whopping 45 week delay. 12 weeks is still recommended in most places.

Considering COVID's fast rise in Bangkok, I had to decide between AZ and Sinovac knowing (now hoping) that I can get a Moderna shot in October. An AZ 1st dose is much better than Sincovac but the 2nd Sinovac dose follows in 4 weeks not 12. I finally went with AZ.

• Like 2

4412 hospital walk-in cases, they really crammed them in yesterday. Of course, this is a national number, so not all of the admissions were to hospitals in Bangkok.

This indicates even higher number of new cases in the next few days.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

You assume everyone who got the Sinovac really wanted the AZ

Not assuming, just stating a fact that echo's your saying only sinovac was available in your post.  just a difference of view is all.

• Thanks 1

COVID Death Details for the day:

2021-07-03d.jpg.a003d9fb7732a7e04256d85c37cb36d1.jpg

29 deaths in Bangkok, 2 each in Yala and Samut Sakhon, single deaths in 8 other provinces

21 men, 20 women, all Thai nationals

Median age of fatality 66, with ages ranging from 30 to 88

71% of the fatalities were age 60 or older

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/356792755939055

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

So you have a hotel named Thailand. 

Each of the floors of the hotel has a name.

On the first floor the name is called Bangkok. Let's say on the 5th floor the name would be Phuket.

There is a hot spot, a big fire on the first floor "Bangkok" where as much of the water (vaccine) needs to be applied but instead of trying to knock down the fire on the first floor which threatens the entire hotel, the fire department decides much of the needed water should be sprayed on the 5th floor, because the hotel is trying to book those rooms to earn enough money to make last month hotel payment. 

It appears to be heading like India.....this is going to be ugly on so many levels! Prayers for all! 

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That's stating the blinking obvious. Not required.

If someone like bkk Brian or Tallguyinbkk etc post a useful graph then a thankyou emoji etc useful. Have you noticed that not many folk post the sad emoji. You'll pick it up.

Totally agree. A thank you goes a long way, recognition for all the hard work. Makes me happy, a sad emoji wouldn't. My opinion

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

I had the AZ vaccine on the 24th at MedPark, and would like to add an MRNA vaccine as the second dose based upon some studies I have read.  Here are two stories regarding the combination.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/germany-recommends-combination-astrazeneca-mrna-shots-78629041

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/mixing-vaccines-pfizer-astrazeneca-1.6083245

I hope you are correct on this.  Two completely different technologies being injected into a body sounds concerning.  

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In honor of the forum's new name and broader focus, Thailand is high in the COVID rankings among ASEAN countries, who are having their own COVID woes, with this update from Friday:

"The surge in Covid-19 cases in Southeast Asia continued on Friday, while the death toll was the highest on a single day, collated data showed.

Asean reported 48,507 new cases on Friday, higher than Thursday’s 46,968, while 902 patients died, up from the previous day’s 819.

Total Covid-19 cases in the region crossed 4.98 million, while the death toll rose to 96,125.

Indonesia reported a new high of 25,830 cases and 539 deaths on Friday, bringing cumulative cases in the country to 2,228,938 and the death toll to 59,534."

2021-07-03b.jpg.6d20fc48ae2711048a7953d8969e959b.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/TheNationThailand/posts/10158081433296937

and with these numbers they are launching the Phuket Sandbox for overseas tourists? Its clearly out of control now and numbers will sadly only be going up until 70% of the locals been fully vaccinated. ????