Thai govt proposes fines of 500,000 baht for posting photos of alcoholic drinks online

webfact

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

They have to get their money from somewhere, when it comes to large amounts like 500,000Bt, they are not going to get that from the vast majority of drivers or motorbike riders on the road, so they are using companies involved with alcohol hoping to pick up 500,000Bt here and there.

That is a rather pessimistic way of viewing things , could be that they are upping the fine to stop companies ignoring the law and just paying 50 000 Baht fine and getting their adverts online

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

They are already here

Yeah the Thai govt lead by whoever  defrocked a Monk in 2016, you would think that would be very much disliked by a majority of Thais. 

On 7/3/2021 at 9:13 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

I am in favour of these restrictions .

For those of us trying to give up drinking  , it can be torturous tp keep seeing alcoholic drinks popping up on social media .

Sorry, Mac, but its selfish to hope the world will change to protect a vulnerable minority. 

If you're serious about putting a plug in the jug... it's YOU who should remove yourself from the threat as much as possible.

Stay away from Social Media until you've got a grip of your addiction. Likewise, don't hang out with those who drink, don't keep booze in the home, and keep out of watering holes. You get the idea.

I wish you luck.

Stubby

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

Sorry, Mac, but its selfish to hope the world will change to protect a vulnerable minority. 

If you're serious about putting a plug in the jug... it's YOU who should remove yourself from the threat as much as possible.

Stay away from Social Media until you've got a grip of your addiction. Likewise, don't hang out with those who drink, don't keep booze in the home, and keep out of watering holes. You get the idea.

I wish you luck.

Stubby

Are you actually aware that the "World has changed" and alcohol adverts are no longer allowed on Thai social media and that its now illegal to advertise beer and all the adverts have been removed  ?

Moderate drinkers such as yourself can have the occasional tipple , nothing wrong with that , but its better for us full on drinkers to avoid the stuff . 

Had I still been a drinker and if they were no selling restrictions , I would normally just be getting home now from a Saturday night out 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Please dont tell me you have ice cubes in your glass ?

Weak beer with ice cubes !!!!!!

Another reply maybe elsewhere but as I am having trouble reading shades of grey , here goes.   I have a Leo Strong Brew before dinner every night . IT DOES get ice cubes with it surely Leo with ice cubes is better than warm Leo.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2021 at 10:48 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

I wasn't suggesting that alcohol should be banned or further restricted , just that drinking alcohol shouldn't be constantly encouraged or advertised . 

Alcohol consumption does cause a large array of social problems in Thailand , drink driving , domestic abuse , premature deaths and various other issues .

The alcohol industry will still exist and as its addictive or at least habit forming advertisers shouldn't keep waving it in peoples faces urging them to drink .

Yes, if that means them losing profits , then yeah, peoples health should come before companies profits  .

Your last sentence, I agree entirely, the people who are giving you the sad and confuse emoticans are probaby the ones with the drink problem.

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2021 at 10:08 AM, ChipButty said:

Dont be giving them any idea's 

"I challenge these fools now to totally ban the sale of alcohol in Thailand, see how your tourism goes then."

I don't think it would be any worse than it is now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Another reply maybe elsewhere but as I am having trouble reading shades of grey , here goes.   I have a Leo Strong Brew before dinner every night . IT DOES get ice cubes with it surely Leo with ice cubes is better than warm Leo.

Leo "Strong brew" you say , 5.1 % 

My choice of drink was the Tappers 6.5 % and once I'd drank all that from the shop, I would settle for a Cheers 6% and if that wasn't available , I would begrudgingly settle for a 5.5 % Chang.

If none of those were available, I just wouldn't bother .

5.5 % was as low as I could go ................and dont even think about putting ice in my beer 

17 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Are you actually aware that the "World has changed" and alcohol adverts are no longer allowed on Thai social media and that its now illegal to advertise beer and all the adverts have been removed  ?

Moderate drinkers such as yourself can have the occasional tipple , nothing wrong with that , but its better for us full on drinkers to avoid the stuff . 

Had I still been a drinker and if they were no selling restrictions , I would normally just be getting home now from a Saturday night out 

Worrying about whether there's a glass of booze in a happy snapshot is a bit extreme, don't you think, Mac? What's a photographer to do? Blur it out, crop the image, scan the scene before hitting the shutter. What an absolute kerfuffle. 

And I agree, it's better for problematic drinkers to avoid the stuff, hence my earlier suggestions. You won't always be fighting the temptation, no more than smokers do after they've quit for a while. But in the meantime, it's better to remove YOUR exposure to the stuff. You can't really expect the world to pretend it doesn't exist while it's still legal. What's next, throwing a blanket over all booze in stores and supermarkets?

These are only my opinions. It doesn't mean I'm right, it just means I think I am 

BTW, I never said I was a moderate drinker!

Stubby

On 7/3/2021 at 9:47 AM, Nickelbeer said:

What a strange way to attack a major business concern. Simply bizarre.

I agree with you, but I have to say I have no time for people who drink to get drunk and incapable, then mix with the public, a fine and a night in the cells should suffice.

I can see alcohol heading the same direction as cigarettes, thats how they started with the shutting down of advertising, next it'll be sponsors, then certain restricted hours, until its practically banned, restricted to certain specific venues and home.Writing is on the wall.

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

BTW, I never said I was a moderate drinker!

Stubby

Being online &  coherent  at 10 45 AM on a Sunday morning suggests that you are , proper drinkers would be on their way to 7/11 for a hair of the dog ready for the 11 AM opening 

22 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

I wonder how many people regret ending up here now? Of course, not many would admit to it anyway.

I admit I would never have come here to stay if Thailand had the problems 15 years ago that it has now. I don't regret it as I have a loving wife and her family. I am of course referring to before the pandemic came. If I knew Thailand was run by the military and had an unelected "PM" with brain cell problems, I would not have come.

21 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Who knows where that ends. Gradually, what once distinguished Thailand as the land of smiles is disappearing. More and more stupid laws, penalties, prohibitions that stifle the fun. They will soon ban singing. Let's see how long people can still be enslaved.

As I have said before, when this pandemic eases up, there will be protesters back on the streets, and if the people cannot get a democracy with an elected government, things will turn out badly. I will also say that I think the present self elected "PM" may get out before things get too heated.

22 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Its Time for the Thai People to rise up now and kick this Government out and Elect a Democratic Parliament enough's enough. 

After the pandemic eases up (I don't think it will ever go away completely) just wait and see what happens.

50 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Being online &  coherent  at 10 45 AM on a Sunday morning suggests that you are , proper drinkers would be on their way to 7/11 for a hair of the dog ready for the 11 AM opening 

You've obviously never come across the functioning alcoholic. I'm not saying I'm one, but they do exist, and can operate under the radar, for years, some of them ????

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I think the present self elected "PM" may get out before things get too heated

What and fall on his sword? Not going to happen.

Worse than Jair Bolsonaro and that's saying something.

Killing business makes no sense to me. Thailand needs every Baht it can get. I can understand fining drunk drivers but you can 't simultaneously declare alcohol legal and forbid even IMAGES of alcoholic drinks. Advertising is vital to the economy and the alcohol industry needs to get politically active enough to make a difference.

Just now, DrJack54 said:

What and fall on his sword? Not going to happen.

Worse than Jair Bolsonaro and that's saying something.

Who's Jair Bolsonaro? Anyway, you may be right, but in Thailand anything can happen.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

After the pandemic eases up (I don't think it will ever go away completely) just wait and see what happens.

As long as Thailand has a military, true Democracy is impossible. The example of Costa Rica is very clear. They did away with their military and they have been at peace since 1949. No one would invade Thailand at this point.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, digger70 said:

They are completely  insane . 

One can't take a pic at a party without having an alcoholic drink /glass in it and then can't post it /show it to friends.

Nothing wrong with drinking in this Tropical country ,My Doctor told me to keep on drinking Beer .good for Flushing the Kidneys he said Flushing small stones and gravel and stops calcium buildup .but still drink a bit of water.

There has never been anything wrong with drinking in moderation. It is drunks I cannot stand.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Who's Jair Bolsonaro? Anyway, you may be right, but in Thailand anything can happen.

PM of Brazil. More slippery than what we have in Thailand however he does not have  a junta government.

Edit: toned it down a tad.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mike k said:

How long before these idiots try a total ban on alcohol like the Muslims want 

Malaysia is predominantly Muslim and I've never had a problem buying a beer there (some over 8% alcohol content too) at any minimart up until 10pm I think.

But don't recall any outside advertising though.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

This thread was never anything to do with individuals drinking problem.

That particular poster just needed attention for his particular problem with the drink. 

Me ? 

I know that I cannot drink in moderation, so I don't drink at all 

There isn't any problem 

• Like 1