Thai govt proposes fines of 500,000 baht for posting photos of alcoholic drinks online

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The Standard also said that a "people's section" is also seeking opinions on the issue of alcohol not being on sale in shops between 2pm and 5 pm,

I firmly believe that, in combination with existing laws prescribing prison time for those writing negative reviews of hotels on social media, Thailand is WELL on the way toward surpassing Bangladesh in the fight against the scourge of COVID-19.

It’s about time somebody did something about the proliferation of online photos of alcohol, which should be the #1 priority of law enforcement, IMO. 

I sure hope these fines help to offset the current shortfall in tourism revenue due to covid. If that doesn’t work, perhaps they can break out the machetes and the tiki torches.

2 hours ago, bergan said:
5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It was already illegal to sell alcohol to school kids , having two different laws will not make it any more effective .

School kids cannot buy alcohol at ANY time , day or night 

It is indeed illegal to sell it to them, but your second sentence would make so much more sense if you removed 'cannot' ????

Cannot is not the same as prohibited under law. 

It may well be prohibited under law for persons under a certain age to purchase alcohol,. However, it doesn't stop shops giving bottles of beer or LaoKhao to 5 year olds as their parents are already too drunk to get off their fat lazy drunken <deleted>.

Shops are complicit, parents are complicit.

I do note, though, on movies, the bottle may not be shown, but the glasses are. Will that change now too?

Football club sponsorship, shirt sponsorship? Premier League games banned?

7 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

These hours doesn't make any sense to me at all, did they just make it up like randomly? 

We used to have restriction on hours similar to this which was brought in during the war. WW1 I think. It was to help keep production levels up in factories vital to the war effort but the rules were kept long after that and it probably would still do some good but it doesn't make much sense these days.

I'm not sure why it started in Thailand but the suggestion elsewhere that it stops people drinking all day may be right even if in practice it doesn't work. As for "Thailand's infamously strict laws on alcohol and it's sale" they need to get out more. In my experience big businesses such as 7/11 and Tesco don't sell alcohol when i's prohibited due to time or date such as for religious and royal reasons but you can always get it in the local shops as far as I know. I don't drink much so it doesn't affect me much and I don't go around checking. I've heard on here many times that the rules can be avoided in some areas if you pay the police but I've never seen this myself.

how ever will the Economy survive?

- without the sales of Chang teeshirts to tourists!!  

They'll next probably add them to the growing listed Illegal Export items at Airport Departures, alongside Buddha images

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smedly said:

I challenge these fools now to totally ban the sale of alcohol in Thailand, see how your tourism goes then 

Honestly - the fools and their rules, reap the benefits through tax revenue and tourism and social structures but then demonise the whole thing - time to face reality, you either want to totally ban it or face reality and stop with this stupid nonsense. 

Either #### or get off the pot

The time rules are lip service to the foreign do gooders, Alcoholism is a problem in Thailand but mainly up country where Lao Cow (white rotgut) is drunk. There are no time restrictions on sales of this in the many small shops. The Govt was advised to price on the basis of the alcohol percent (a proven deterrent) but that would have affected their popularity at election time so they based the tax on the retail price and guess what; beer is the most affected. But thats ok because it's farangs who mainly drink beer.  

11 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, but its to stop people who have a beer with their afternoon  lunch from drinking all day . 

You've never heard of the concept of drinking at home.

Many Thais I know wake up and start drinking and don't stop all day or till they drop.

• Confused 1

Nero fiddles while Rome burns. Here we are in the middle of a pandemic and they spend time worrying about fining people for pictures of alcohol. Maybe they should focus on getting the population vaccinated so the country can start opening up.

David

Edited by Genericnic
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

can just imagine the indignation if pictures of piles of yaba or heroin were plastered everywhere. This is an addictive drug that has cause more misery in society than any other substance. Only addicts will complain of this.. 

Sounds like someone whom couldn't control their Indulgences. 

• Haha 1

Thailand is clearly being governed by a collection of clueless idiots. It's obviously being run by stupid people who have no clue just how dumb they truely are and illustrate everytime the announce these moronic directive, laws and policies. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I wasn't suggesting that alcohol should be banned or further restricted , just that drinking alcohol shouldn't be constantly encouraged or advertised . 

Alcohol consumption does cause a large array of social problems in Thailand , drink driving , domestic abuse , premature deaths and various other issues .

The alcohol industry will still exist and as its addictive or at least habit forming advertisers shouldn't keep waving it in peoples faces urging them to drink .

Yes, if that means them losing profits , then yeah, peoples health should come before companies profits  .

You seem to forget that this is Thailand , therefore the legislation will be ambigious and certain to be selectively enforced.

Consequently the major advertisers , pumped up with cash and influence , will sidestep any problems.

However plenty of ' little ' people will end up contributing to plods mia noi fund , for innocently posting on social media.

8 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I am in favour of these restrictions .

For those of us trying to give up drinking  , it can be torturous tp keep seeing alcoholic drinks popping up on social media .

It was terrible a few years back when Chang and Leo beer signs seemed to be outside every shop and on advertising boards .

Your head is saying "Dont think about drinking" and your eyes are seeing "Drink, drink, drink" all day long

I sympathise with your being unable to look at a picture of a beer can, but surely laws should be directed at the majority in society, not the few.