Thai govt proposes fines of 500,000 baht for posting photos of alcoholic drinks online

webfact

I can't wait for the first "tourist" who snaps a few pictures of family and friends gathering around the pool with a few beers and a glass of wine or two, posts it on facebook to show people back home what grand fun they are having in Thailand - and then get nailed with a 500,000 THB fine, arrested, incarcerated, and thrown in detention while awaiting payment of the fine, then deported all the while being filmed and demonized by Thai media.

That WILL be entertaining!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I am in favour of these restrictions .

For those of us trying to give up drinking  , it can be torturous tp keep seeing alcoholic drinks popping up on social media .

It was terrible a few years back when Chang and Leo beer signs seemed to be outside every shop and on advertising boards .

Your head is saying "Dont think about drinking" and your eyes are seeing "Drink, drink, drink" all day long

Selfish much? No one gives a monkeys mate. Think about those who it affects and those with willpower. 
Thailand is becoming more and more of a joke. Used to be a laidback fun loving place. Should rename it SiamArabia. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

They said that it could soon be possible to be fined 500,000 baht just for posting a picture of a glass of beer or wine. 

Does this mean they will be posting social media police at the exit points by road, rail and plane, to check your social media on your phone or device to fine you ? Sounds like just another monetary con to me.

Thailand is really, really just making itself unattractive to everybody in the modern world whilst trying to keep its foot in the 3rd world

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Selfish much? No one gives a monkeys mate. Think about those who it affects and those with willpower. 
Thailand is becoming more and more of a joke. Used to be a laidback fun loving place. Should rename it SiamArabia. 

Just giving my personal opinion .

How will this effect those with willpower ?

It seems like the only effect it will have on them is that they will not be able to post photos of themselves drinking alcohol  online  .

That's not too much of a sacrifice, is it ?

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You are clearly confused about what the booze haters want and what the booze lovers say.

Have you been drinking?

Sorry, I did read it wrong. 

Not drunk (I wish). Just had my AZ shot and feeling it ????

5 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Does this mean they will be posting social media police at the exit points by road, rail and plane, to check your social media on your phone or device to fine you ? Sounds like just another monetary con to me.

Thailand is really, really just making itself unattractive to everybody in the modern world whilst trying to keep its foot in the 3rd world

I am quite sure that the authorities will not be bothered by foreigners posting photos of themselves drinking .

This law is probably to stop Thai celebrities covertly advertising drinks by posting photos of themselves on social media holding such drinks and getting around the advertising rules

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

These hours doesn't make any sense to me at all, did they just make it up like randomly? 

Copied from the U.K. 20 years ago the U.K. licensing laws were pub closing 2pm- 5pm. These clowns couldn’t be original if they tried

Eating too much causes obesity leading to increased health risks.

Well, I guess time to ban ads and photos of food online. Let's start small with a 50,000฿ fine.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Up to now private individuals can be fined 50,000 baht for promoting or advertising alcohol. Now a draft amendment from the authorities is proposing this is increased to half a million baht.

So one better be aware of what gets posted on social media, i.e. remember to remove all drinks before sharing holiday dinner pictures on Facebook....????

What does it have to do with the Thai government what people post on there Facebook or Instagram pages?

How sad has life become when you can't post a picture of a beer to a mate for fear of being arrested and fined 500,000 baht for doing so!????

• Like 1

Who knows where that ends. Gradually, what once distinguished Thailand as the land of smiles is disappearing. More and more stupid laws, penalties, prohibitions that stifle the fun. They will soon ban singing. Let's see how long people can still be enslaved.

Are we headed towards phohibition, with these fake puritan goons? 

One wonders what further sabotage they can engage in. They are no longer running the nation. They are ruining it, day by day. 

It could take a decade to recover from this blight. The hole just gets deeper, and the creeps just cannot help themselves. Let us pour sand on the hole, and bury the whole lot. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, khunPer said:

So one better be aware of what gets posted on social media, i.e. remember to remove all drinks before sharing holiday dinner pictures on Facebook....????

Don't allow the public to view your Facebook page is more effective.

50 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I am quite sure that the authorities will not be bothered by foreigners posting photos of themselves drinking .

This law is probably to stop Thai celebrities covertly advertising drinks by posting photos of themselves on social media holding such drinks and getting around the advertising rules

That's not true. We're not talking about celebrities here. This is a stupid law that the rulers can use to blackmail people as needed. I think there are party pictures of every person here with a drink in hand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

These hours doesn't make any sense to me at all, did they just make it up like randomly? 

What makes even less sense to me is the fact that you can buy alcohol in the morning! ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It was already illegal to sell alcohol to school kids , having two different laws will not make it any more effective .

School kids cannot buy alcohol at ANY time , day or night 

It is indeed illegal to sell it to them, but your second sentence would make so much more sense if you removed 'cannot' ????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I am in favour of these restrictions .

For those of us trying to give up drinking  , it can be torturous tp keep seeing alcoholic drinks popping up on social media .

It was terrible a few years back when Chang and Leo beer signs seemed to be outside every shop and on advertising boards .

Your head is saying "Dont think about drinking" and your eyes are seeing "Drink, drink, drink" all day long

They are completely  insane . 

One can't take a pic at a party without having an alcoholic drink /glass in it and then can't post it /show it to friends.

Nothing wrong with drinking in this Tropical country ,My Doctor told me to keep on drinking Beer .good for Flushing the Kidneys he said Flushing small stones and gravel and stops calcium buildup .but still drink a bit of water.

Edited by digger70
  • Thanks 1

They are so worried about advertising for beer or wine I would think that people would be more  upset about not being able to get vaccinated The government plan rollout of the vaccine is a disgrace for all the good things to foreigners do to help Thailand you think Thailand will it leaves have some plan for vaccinating them without price gouging amazing Thailand TIT

• Like 1