Thai govt proposes fines of 500,000 baht for posting photos of alcoholic drinks online

webfact

15 hours ago, ray666 said:

I really can1t believe these clowns. Are they really the government ? So strange. Do they have any idea about life ?  I think it must have something to do with brown envelopes. There are so many stupid rules here, that make no sense. How about the 60 people a day dyeing because of accidents on motorcycles. No crash helmets , under age, no licence, no brains. Perhaps they should reconsider what they are doing. 

They are a joke. Not for me to say . But what the <deleted>

Do you think that stopping people from drinking alcohol will improve the road death statistics ?

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Beverage companies were paying celebrities and influencers money to be seen holding their alcoholic products and posting the photos on social media .

They did this to get around the advertising ban and the Government clamped down 

You twist the facts. This law is not exclusively against the beverage companies and there adds. Is against everybody who post in social media with a drink pictured in his foto. And then 

plus the unbelievable amount of the fine. That has nothing to do with well-meaning, common sense anymore.

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tomacht8 said:

You twist the facts. This law is not exclusively against the beverage companies and there adds. Is against everybody who post in social media with a drink in his foto. And then 

plus the unbelievable amount of the fine. That has nothing to do with well-meaning, common sense anymore.

I am not twisting the facts , I stated why they bought the law in. They have to make laws for everyone . 

They cannot have one law for celebrities' and another law for the general public .

The laws were  bought in to stop people advertising alcoholic products on social media and the only way to do that was to ban everyone from displaying drinks on social media 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I am not twisting the facts , I stated why they bought the law in. They have to make laws for everyone . 

They cannot have one law for celebrities' and another law for the general public .

The laws were  bought in to stop people advertising alcoholic products on social media and the only way to do that was to ban everyone from displaying drinks on social media 

Well It looks like you're the only one here clapping your hands for joy. Wouldn't it be nice if the people could vote democratically on such laws?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You are somewhat over reacting .

I do sometimes like a beer , just prefer not to see constant adverts encouraging me to drink alcohol .

I don't want to turn into one of those ex-pats sitting in a bar at 11 AM with a beer on his own , which is what would happen if I had a beer every time I saw a beer advert 

More self serving posting. 

No one is concerned how advertising of alcohol effects you.

Nonetheless you have continued the never ending story from page 1 to 7.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

More self serving posting. 

No one is concerned how advertising of alcohol effects you.

Nonetheless you have continued the never ending story from page 1 to 7.

Really ? OMG and there was me thinking that Prayruth made this laws especially for me and to encourage me to stop drinking.

You mean that its not all about me ?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I am in favour of these restrictions .

For those of us trying to give up drinking  , it can be torturous tp keep seeing alcoholic drinks popping up on social media .

It was terrible a few years back when Chang and Leo beer signs seemed to be outside every shop and on advertising boards .

Your head is saying "Dont think about drinking" and your eyes are seeing "Drink, drink, drink" all day long

Piffle.

I gave up alcohol 13 months ago after drinking alcohol for about 60 years and I was 76 when I did that. Before that time I was drinking 3 bottles of Thai whisky, with soda and ice a week.

I used to be a heavy drinker when I was younger and more stupid than I am today.

Nowadays I only drink soda water and ice in the evenings and ordinary water, 3-in-1 coffee and a glass of Coca Cola at lunchtime.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They tried that last year, blocking major streets in Bangkok and elsewhere, and the water cannons came out and the people achieved nothing. And they had the latter in 2010 and burned down shopping centres and blocked major thoroughfares, and the army came with bullets. Both times, the world quickly lost interest as Thailand is actually just an insignificant South East Asian backwater with no influence on anything that occurs outside its borders. The country is important only to those who live there, no-one else.

Absolutely. Totally insignificant country. Thailand is only  known for 3 things, spicy food, beaches, ladyboys.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

Absolutely. Totally insignificant country. Thailand is only  known for 3 things, spicy food, beaches, ladyboys.

To be fair, most of the beaches are poo now.....so only 2 things really. ????

Edited by dogfish180
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Please dont tell me you have ice cubes in your glass ?

Weak beer with ice cubes !!!!!!

A few nights ago some friends came over they put ice in the glasses started to pour the beer I had to stop them told them no ice for me 

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Up to now private individuals can be fined 50,000 baht for promoting or advertising alcohol. Now a draft amendment from the authorities is proposing this is increased to half a million baht.

I’m I reading this correctly? Can a individual post a picture with beer/alcoholic drink for example a picture at birthday party that

someone has a aljolic drink name brand on glass etc. Can they 

be fined 50,000 currently with a proposal to raise to 500,000? 

Now that my friends would be pretty pretty dang crazy... 

17 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I am in favour of these restrictions .

For those of us trying to give up drinking  , it can be torturous tp keep seeing alcoholic drinks popping up on social media .

It was terrible a few years back when Chang and Leo beer signs seemed to be outside every shop and on advertising boards .

Your head is saying "Dont think about drinking" and your eyes are seeing "Drink, drink, drink" all day long

So, some people's lack of will power justifies the government issuing huge fines to people doing something innocuous. I see.

• Like 1

Thais drink  in bars farangs drink.what about at thai houses a party put on face book shows food and drink everytime,I knows bars have to not show any labels or brands.when u in bkk u see promo,s signs and anything else around town.

The rules or new rules are very silly and stupid,if you drink u drink and don,t worry about signs what u see unless u see a sign  saying happy hr or promo that  suits you somewhere..They should have senisible rules  this is not one of them

• Like 1

This Government is absolutely crazy.. 

And have all there priorities wrong, wanting to instill fear into people/Companies with large fines for advertising beer,... But will let people die everyday by not purchasing vaccines during this pandemic... They make my blood boil, clowns the lot of them... 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Just what Thailand needs, more laws which are selectively enforced.

All advertisements in bars, if allowed to open must be taken down. 

Soon label's on alcohol will have to be plain white with the name of the drink in small print, they might consider putting ugly pictures on the labels like cigarette packets have. 

Meanwhile homemade kerosene requires no labels. 

Dr Singh and Mr Chiang will be so pleased. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Walker88 said:

So society should be structured to appeal to the lowest common denominator?

Most people who drink do so responsibly. Companies that produce alcohol employ hundreds of thousands of people in production, distribution and final use. So all of them have to take a hit (maybe lower profits, maybe lower employment, etc.) because some people have an addiction beyond their control?

Okay, then let's project that sort of 'save the few' on to other things.....let's see....we install governors on all motor vehicles limiting their speed to 5km per hour, because some people speed and cause accidents. Think of all the lives that will save! And let's get rid of that electricity thing. Forget Maxwell and Faraday---no electricity means nobody gets electrocuted ever again.

Warnings may have to be on medication, Taking this may cause serious illness or death, posting photos of these online could result in losing your house. 

This is absolutely ridiculous like the helmet and seatbelt laws: For example, four persons on a motorbike and the operator is the only person required to have a helmet on. What about the other three? I got a ticket...yeah you heard me right, I got the ticket, for my wife not having her seatbelt on. So what is next for posting alcoholic beverages online? Will shop owner not be allowed to have signs outside their shops advertising which brand of beer they sell. These laws, like this one, it seems are set in place to control the abuse of something.

Edited by Kenneth White
added more thoughts.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, tonray said:

I'm a bit worried. I always wear some T-shirts with LEO and Singha logos around the house. I'm hoping my Thai neighbors don't drop a dime on me for a reward.

...and I might add...extra worried now...the t-shirts were a gift from GF's mom....she might have set me up

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Guderian said:

Why on earth are we living in this Kafkaesque country? They've got the biggest public health crisis in living memory on their hands, they've completely screwed up their vaccination programme, and yet all they can find to act on is this sort of nonsense.

Message to self: go home, get vaccinated, wait for sanity to return, then find a less-inane country to move to.

Hope your not from Aussie , cause we are just as <deleted>> up as you's up there if not worst. In lock down again, but we do have the grand tittle of coming last in the western  world on the roll out of vaccine,and no booze here.  

• Sad 1

When I get pop-up news items on my Android phone (I guess its Google-led) there are adverts by Chang with cans and bottles in lovely colour. So are Chang breaking the law already? I'm not very observant, maybe I didn't notice beer advertising all around me before reading this article? ????

So, if you are having a good time in a bar with friends you can not post a photo. Are you sure Thailand wants more tourists?

They keep shooting themselves in the foot. One part of government is begging for tourists, another is saying if you come you can not relax and have fun and share it with your friends. This must be  Amazing Thailand!

Wake me when the joke is over.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 9:17 AM, mtls2005 said:

Just what Thailand needs, more laws which are selectively enforced.

They have to get their money from somewhere, when it comes to large amounts like 500,000Bt, they are not going to get that from the vast majority of drivers or motorbike riders on the road, so they are using companies involved with alcohol hoping to pick up 500,000Bt here and there.

• Like 1