Thai govt proposes fines of 500,000 baht for posting photos of alcoholic drinks online

webfact

32 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I sympathise with your being unable to look at a picture of a beer can, but surely laws should be directed at the majority in society, not the few.

I can look at a can of beer though, what made you think that I couldn't ?

So by the letter, a tourist or visitor just taking a picture of him and some friends having a drink with dinner and posting it could be liable to be fined?  How about any of the tuber videos people are posting?  How about any reasons anybody streamed or photographed or recorded any alcohol?  Is Thailand really going insane?  It was a great vacation spot.  What is driving this alcohol nuttiness?

10 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I am in favour of these restrictions .

For those of us trying to give up drinking  , it can be torturous tp keep seeing alcoholic drinks popping up on social media .

It was terrible a few years back when Chang and Leo beer signs seemed to be outside every shop and on advertising boards .

Your head is saying "Dont think about drinking" and your eyes are seeing "Drink, drink, drink" all day long

The question I have is How you doing today?  Temptation can be tough but but it is part of life I promised the misses I wouldn't cheat any longer I love massages get them 3 times a week temptation is brutal?????

I'm wondering if the government is looking into these restrictions holistically how it will benefit the society and how it will effect tourism which is 20% of the local GDP. I understand that we have to protect the society from defamation and slender and the collateral damage is that tourists writing bad reviews are going to jail, we have to protect the country from refuges and commies (TM30) and 40 years later suddenly without any warning 10s of thousands of visitors are in legal limbo and facing fines, and of course we have a duty to protect the minors from seeing advertisements of alcohol but if Thai Police starts to fine visitors for 15,000USD for posting drinking regular water made by Singha it will create more and more of a feeling that this is not a welcoming place for visitors. It's difficult to earn good reputation and Thailand has good reputation but it's easy to loose it too. 

And what is the jurisdiction of this proposal? If someone years ago in Germany had a beer and posted it on Instagram and now comes to Thailand for the Phuket sandbox will he be prosecutable under Thai law?

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

These current buying alcohol extra restrictions are due to stopping  Covid spreading and they aren't new long lasting restrictions , just temporary  measures 

No they aren't. Read the article again. The advertising law came into force in 2008 and now they want to double the existing fines.

Where are all of those guys to say”the government is doing the best they can.”  Mask up, social distance, close schools, close gyms, close everything and don’t even think about posting a picture of a beer. 

• Like 1

I thought that the general consensus of ex-pats is that they don't like social media and don't indulge in it , now they seem to be upset because they now cannot post photos of themselves drinking with friends on facebook........................not that they ever used to anyway 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

There is also a proposal to stop a kind of loophole that allows big firms to promote their products by referring to soda rather than beer.

ASEAN Now notes that this has particularly been done by firms like Bood Rawd (Singha) and Leo who advertise water and soda during football matches

Silverlake Winery is named after a body of water called Silverlake. 

Using similar logic, will the government need to remove signage for Silverlake? Or does this regulation only apply to carbonated water?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

How exactly do you suffer by not seeing alcohol advertised ?

I don't. What I do object to this inept, dictatorial and what goes for a goverment's stupid laws. And people who accept them without protest, like a flock of sheep.

4 hours ago, Lingba said:

how long before the revolt and riots start?

They tried that last year, blocking major streets in Bangkok and elsewhere, and the water cannons came out and the people achieved nothing. And they had the latter in 2010 and burned down shopping centres and blocked major thoroughfares, and the army came with bullets. Both times, the world quickly lost interest as Thailand is actually just an insignificant South East Asian backwater with no influence on anything that occurs outside its borders. The country is important only to those who live there, no-one else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I can look at a can of beer though, what made you think that I couldn't ?

Your words:  It was terrible a few years back when Chang and Leo beer signs seemed to be outside every shop and on advertising boards.

I assume they had a picture of a beer, or perhaps just the mere name of Chang or Leo tortured you?

• Haha 1

Donaldo - you got it. Thailand is finished, broken, and it will never be as it once was - the current regime will have LOS back in the dark ages first. After nearly 30 years in LOS, I saw the writing on the wall in 2013 & got my family out of there, permanently. A $25 thousand fine for a picture of alcoholic drinks online ? Seriously ? How useless is the regime ruining what was once a nice country ? Vaccine fiasco ? The funny thing is, many Thais used to look down on their supposedly 'poor' Laos cousins. The worm has turned. Laos is booming. 

13 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I thought that the general consensus of ex-pats is that they don't like social media and don't indulge in it , now they seem to be upset because they now cannot post photos of themselves drinking with friends on facebook........................not that they ever used to anyway 

Conversely, one can also ask, what is so bad about a Facebook party photo where someone is holding an alcoholic drink in their hand? and why then justify the threat of an astronomical fine of 500,000 baht (5 annual salaries of an average wage earner in Thailand)? Is there still any proportionality? That the rulers here like to silence unloved critics with dubious laws is nothing new. You are just too naive to recognize the possibility of abuse of such laws.

• Like 2

Not sure how this will turn out. No one is saying ban alcohol. Yet. Prohibition is a known historical fail.

But not sure banning photos of alcohol won't have the opposite effect and drag more kids to try the "forbidden fruit."

Will this affect the heavy vehicular death rate, which is partly associated with drink driving? Of course not. Idiots get drunk and race motorbikes without wearing a helmet. 

We have to wonder, what is the endgame expected from this move?

38 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Your words:  It was terrible a few years back when Chang and Leo beer signs seemed to be outside every shop and on advertising boards.

I assume they had a picture of a beer, or perhaps just the mere name of Chang or Leo tortured you?

I did kind of mean that when you keep seeing numerous adverts for beer , you feel like drinking a beer .

If you drink beer everyday , then that's not an issue , but when you try not to drink everyday , the constant reminder does encourage to indulge everyday .   

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Conversely, one can also ask, what is so bad about a Facebook party photo where someone is holding an alcoholic drink in their hand? and why then justify the threat of an astronomical fine of 500,000 baht (5 annual salaries of an average wage earner in Thailand)? Is there still any proportionality? That the rulers here like to silence unloved critics with dubious laws is nothing new. You are just too naive to recognize the possibility of abuse of such laws.

Beverage companies were paying celebrities and influencers money to be seen holding their alcoholic products and posting the photos on social media .

They did this to get around the advertising ban and the Government clamped down 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

They did this to get around the advertising ban and the Government clamped down 

Movies must also be tortured for you. When someone walks into a bar or whatever.

Restaurants also where you see people drinking. 

7/11 must be a dangerous place. Oh I guess you go between 2-5pm so you don't go off the rails.

Rather than ramble on continuously about alcohol addition in random topic, take a look at the "I drink too much" forum. That forum has lot of helpful advice including medical options (pharmaceutical drugs). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Movies must also be tortured for you. When someone walks into a bar or whatever.

Restaurants also where you see people drinking. 

7/11 must be a dangerous place. Oh I guess you go between 2-5pm so you don't go off the rails.

Rather than ramble on continuously about alcohol addition in random topic, take a look at the "I drink too much" forum. That forum has lot of helpful advice including medical options (pharmaceutical drugs). 

You are somewhat over reacting .

I do sometimes like a beer , just prefer not to see constant adverts encouraging me to drink alcohol .

I don't want to turn into one of those ex-pats sitting in a bar at 11 AM with a beer on his own , which is what would happen if I had a beer every time I saw a beer advert 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I really can1t believe these clowns. Are they really the government ? So strange. Do they have any idea about life ?  I think it must have something to do with brown envelopes. There are so many stupid rules here, that make no sense. How about the 60 people a day dyeing because of accidents on motorcycles. No crash helmets , under age, no licence, no brains. Perhaps they should reconsider what they are doing. 

They are a joke. Not for me to say . But what the <deleted>

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1