Twenty percent of donated Pfizer vaccines from US must go to foreigners living in Thailand, says CCSA general

webfact

22 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Gotta say, don't have high hopes for the U.S. Embassy doing much to ensure the set-aside portion ends up being used as promised.... And even less confidence in the Thai government following thru on its promise to actually use the set-aside as required -- especially if the administration is left in their hands...

As much as our embassies are useless I think they will do a better job than thai government , but knowing how our embassies work , where every step cost money , chances are they will charge through the nose to make it happen . Oz embassy not much better than US even worse. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, bipper said:

How's that relevant to the money grabbing big Pharma dividend kill? Taxpayers fund the research while shareholders reap the rewards. Like I said BIGGER PICTURE.

Have you forgot what you posted already?

"Thailand is a developing country that as yet hasn't seen one misely shot from the developed world' is what you said.

Had they joined Covax they would have got some.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

NO....Johnson and Johnson is single dose. 

Pfizer could also be the second dose of a different first.

Yes, if I could get Pfizer as my second dose to back up the first of AZ I had already, that would make me happy. However, I will not keep my fingers crossed or as my dad said, Don't hold your breath as the chickens will need to come home to roost first before anything comes to fruition.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sungod said:

"Thailand is a developing country that as yet hasn't seen one misely shot from the developed world' is what you said.

Another blunder on Thailand not to join Covax

• Like 2

Right now we seem to have the word of one, potentially clueless, General.

This can still be explained as a misunderstanding.

Until I hear something from Chargé d' Affaires Heath, I'm chalking this up to faux news.

It sounds like there are a lot of things being kept secret.

And even two senior Thai officials can't agree on what was in the secret document - some of the 1.5 MM Pfizer donation from the U.S. going to medicos as a Sinovac booster nixed because it reflects badly on Sinovac.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PM said everyone will get the AZ vaccine for next year but we shouldn't do what he is now in quarantine.

The good news is that the AZ vaccine made in Thailand will be better for catching Covid.

4 minutes ago, club said:

2 jabs of AZ actually do very well against the Delta Variant. Right around 90% up there with Pfizer. The problem is the government  seems to think you only need 1 jab of AZ for full vaccination against the Delta Variant. That's what they have told the tourist coming into the Phuket sandbox,

https://www.thephuketnews.com/no-3-day-limit-on-covid-test-documents-for-domestic-visitors-to-phuket-80572.php

3 minutes ago, club said:

The problem is the government  seems to think you only need 1 jab of AZ

While a lucky few have 2x AZ, most are waiting until 1 Sep (12 weeks from 7 June) for their second shot.

Whether the government goes ahead with a second dose, or chooses instead to vaccinate more people with one shot remains to be seen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BE88 said:

PM said everyone will get the AZ vaccine for next year but we shouldn't do what he is now in quarantine.

The good news is that the AZ vaccine made in Thailand will be better for catching Covid.

I thought the goverment was saying that AZ was only for people 60+ ? Now its for everyone

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

While a lucky few have 2x AZ, most are waiting until 1 Sep (12 weeks from 7 June) for their second shot.

Whether the government goes ahead with a second dose, or chooses instead to vaccinate more people with one shot remains to be seen.

With the Delta Variant making up 70% of the infected , you would think the government would give you the second jab of AZ. 90% is pretty close to full vaccination instead of one jab that only gives you 33% against Delta. Its a no brainer. You would think

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, club said:

I thought the goverment was saying that AZ was only for people 60+ ? Now its for everyone

You may be confused.

At one point AZ was the PREFERRED vaccine for over 60's, conveniently for the PM.

Now? Who knows? Whatever is available I guess.

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

You may be confused.

At one point AZ was the PREFERRED vaccine for over 60's, conveniently for the PM.

Now? Who knows? Whatever is available I guess.

The government is the one confused, not me . I just try to keep up with their double talk. Its not easy

Just a side note here....

NOWHERE in anything that I've read on this thus far does it say that the set-side doses will be reserved just for Americans....   All the language I've seen, based on the comments of one Thai general, talks only about foreign nationals in Thailand.  Who knows what the actual conditions really are.

It will be interesting to see just how this plays out, and where the set-aside vaccines end up going.... and whether the U.S. Embassy will end up getting involved in their distribution, or will wash their hands of the whole thing, and leave it to the Thai government.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just a side note here....

NOWHERE in anything that I've read on this thus far does it say that the set-side doses will be reserved just for Americans....   All the language I've seen, based on the comments of one Thai general, talks only about foreign nationals in Thailand.  Who knows what the actual conditions really are.

It will be interesting to see just how this plays out, and where the set-aside vaccines end up going.... and whether the U.S. Embassy will end up getting involved in their distribution, or will wash their hands of the whole thing, and leave it to the Thai government.

Your right it doesn't say anything about going to Americans.  The US Embassy needs to get involved 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

You appear to have forgotten what you posted, so let me remind you;

“None. Why?

Because the millions of vaccines exported from India to the richest countries in the world completely disproves the rhetoric. Thailand is a developing country that as yet hasn't seen one misely shot from the developed world and millions from China albeit its usefulness is in question against Delta.

Gates is full of $£€$. It is all about money.”

notice those underlined words. Japan is indeed in Asia, but is also a developed country. Unfortunately for you, you did not say “non Asian developed country”. So Japan is “in the reckoning”.

had Thailand opted to be in Covax, it would have received vaccines from developed nations as part of that program. It opted out. So that fact is annoying in the sense that it makes the intent of your statement (sic that Thailand is a poor country neglected by developing countries), simply nonsense. And totally relevant.

French nationals located in Thailand received vaccines and so Thailand did not have to provide them. Tantamount to France giving vaccines to Thai people.

I see you have failed to provide any linkage to Bill Gates, but introduced some deflection about my being a big pharma supporter. Pointless narrative.

summery? Your statement that Thailand “hasn’t yet received one miserly shot from the developed world” is utterly untrue.

best just admit it, or keep quiet.

Japan is developed but it is an Asian country. The fact is no non Asian developed country has given vaccines to Thailand fot its own population.

Still not responded to India, here's Gates and India. There's lots more if you look it up.

https://thediplomat.com/2021/06/why-are-indians-so-angry-at-bill-gates/

Seems you don't understand what Covax is. It is a vehicle to purchase vaccine. It most certainly has nothing to do with the fact that the west hasn't yet given one miserly shot to Thailand!

They've made a lot of mistakes here but the equitable distribution thoughout the world needs very careful consideration after this no matter how you twist it.

Here's the Covax mission statement:

• Doses for at least 20% of countries' populations
  • Diverse and actively managed portfolio of vaccines
  • Vaccines delivered as soon as they are available
  • End the acute phase of the pandemic
  • Rebuild economies

Edited by bipper

1 hour ago, sungod said:

Brazil is a Covax country, so is India, Indonesia, Pakistan and the Philippines to say nothing of most African countries.

If this was supposed to be the answer they have an awful lot to answer for.

It's absolutely not the answer to stopping infection and death. Its a procurement machine and it hasn't worked while a small portion of the world continue to own and control the vaccines.

This is a much bigger picture than covax for the open of mind.

Edited by bipper
  • Like 2

Yes, easy to fill the quota of non-Thais:

1. Burmese, etc, factory workers, and 

2. Thailand's stateless residents    Do not forget us  10 Kiwis that also live here hidden in the background they would never miss the 20 shots and then crow to the nz government that they took care of the whole nz race over here ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

This is going to do wonders for our image..........I imagine many Thai's will be rejoicing at the news we will get 20% of 'their' vaccines.

Not their vaccine. Donated to Thailand thanks to the tax payers in America.  If they don't get that <deleted> them.

• Like 2